Discussions

Reader comments

On Should sports teams be allowed to have Native American-inspired mascots?

Comments

Terry Sexton 1 year, 7 months ago

I told my buddy I didn't think people should be categorized as mascots. He asked me if that applied to packers, vikings, texans, 49ers, cowboys, patriots and others. Gosh, I don't know. I guess so. Colts, dolphins, eagles, panthers, broncos and the like make it easier.

Chiefs, indians and braves. Mascot status. Seems offensive. And redskins ... c'mon.

Mike Ford 1 year, 7 months ago

This country has a paternalist disconnect. Ignore individual ethnicities and call them whatever and don't take them seriously. Very American.

Bob Smith 1 year, 7 months ago

Laws should be passed to ensure that nobody will ever be offended by anything. /snark/

Bob Reinsch 1 year, 7 months ago

I have no right to tell someone else what they should or should not find offensive. Telling a person or group of people that they have no right to find something offensive seems like a form of bullying. If a group of people find a term insensitive/humiliating/demeaning, they should speak up and state their case. In the case of the Washington NFL franchise, this should have been resolved years and years ago.

Clara Westphal 1 year, 7 months ago

The Florida State mascot is a Seminole who rides on a horse out on to the football field and throws a flaming spear into the ground A reporter asked the rider, who is a Seminole, if he was offended by Indian related mascots. He answered that he thought it was an honor and related it to the courage and steadfastness of his tribe.

Jeanette Kekahbah 1 year, 7 months ago

Seminole is the name of a tribe. Redskin is not the name of a tribe.

"During the entire history of America until the turn of the twentieth century, Indigenous Americans were hunted, killed, and forcibly removed from their lands by European settlers.[19] This includes the paying of bounties beginning in the colonial period with, for example, a proclamation declaring war against the Penobscot Indians in 1755. Issued by Lieutenant Governor Spencer Phips (and commonly as the Phips Proclamation[20][21]), the proclamation orders "His Majesty's subjects to Embrace all opportunities of pursuing, captivating, killing and Destroying all and every of the aforesaid Indians." The colonial government paid 50 pounds for scalps of males over 12 years, 25 pounds for scalps of women over 12, and 20 pounds for scalps of boys and girls under 12. Twenty-five British pounds sterling in 1755, worth around $9,000 today—a small fortune in those days when an English teacher earned 60 pounds a year.[20]

Though the proclamation itself does not use the word, an historical association between the use of "redskin" and the paying of bounties can be made from newspapers of the time. In 1863, a Winona, Minnesota, newspaper, the Daily Republican, printed an announcement: "The state reward for dead Indians has been increased to $200 for every red-skin sent to Purgatory. This sum is more than the dead bodies of all the Indians east of the Red River are worth."[22] A news story published by the Atchison Daily Champion in Atchison, Kansas, on October 9, 1885, tells of the settlers' "hunt for redskins, with a view of obtaining their scalps" valued at $250.[23] In An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States, "redskin" is said not to refer to scalps, but to the bloody bodies left behind by scalp-hunters.[24] This association can evoke strongly negative sentiments. In a 2014 interview after the Trademark decision, lead petitioner Amanda Blackhorse expressed her opinion: "The name itself actually dates back [to] the time when the Native American population was being exterminated, and bounty hunters were hired to kill Native American people [...] So, in order to show that they made their kill, they had to bring back a scalp or their skin."[25]" from Wikipedia.

Mike Ford 1 year, 7 months ago

white priviledge and paternalism should be used to tell others what they shouldn't be offended by right bob?

David Brown 1 year, 6 months ago

I can not believe that WE ARE STILL HAVING THIS CONVERSATION ! Being a native of this country I find the use of pictures and slang terribly offensive. If you were to put pics. or slang words for any other race in this country there would be outrage, but if its a native American who cares and we are just accused of being too sensitive. WHY?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.