Discussions

Reader comments

On What would you do to get out of paying taxes?

Comments

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 1 year, 9 months ago

Here's to Chelle Hanson. She understands what it's all about. Of course, when I see my tax dollars go towards defending un American unconstitutional laws, then I'm irked. But our tax dollars go towards many things that are for the common good. I am especially irked by people who already filthy rich, many nowadays by inheritance, hide their money away so they don't pay taxes. Especially bad are those who do not pay their employees a living wage, and those employees have to rely on food stamps. These people are double creeps.

Larry Sturm 1 year, 9 months ago

If everybody paid their fair share of taxes all of our infrastructure and social programs would be totally funded if they took away the greed.

Jack Krebs 1 year, 9 months ago

I too agree with Chelle Hanson. Paying taxes is a civil responsibility - the price of having a government that works for the common good. The question is not whether to pay taxes or not, the question is for what: what values and principles govern both on the basis upon which we collect taxes and what we buy with them. I think the current state of affairs is a mess on both counts, but that doesn't mean that taxes themselves are the problem.

Exactly. I think we have a responsibility to make sure our taxes aren't being wasted and/or stolen from us.

Oh, more demonizing the working class. Worshipping those rich people, who you aren't even close to being. I probably pay more in taxes, than you earn in a year. And rich people drive on our streets, and their goods are shipped on our streets, and their employees are educated with tax dollars, and the police come running when they are robbed, etc. They probably have more perks from our common tax dollars than us middle class folks get.

Bob Smith 1 year, 9 months ago

"...I probably pay more in taxes, than you earn in a year..." How very hoity toity, Dorothy.

Sam Crow 1 year, 9 months ago

I guess teachers make more money than she lets on.

Barb Gordon 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm willing to bet that even your imaginary teacher girlfriend earns more than Bart.

Thomas Bryce Jr. 1 year, 9 months ago

Unless you are a rich person yourself, Bart, the rich are better than you too, according to your line of reasoning. Why does wealth make someone better than someone else? Some people measure wealth in different ways. I would rather go through life surrounded by family and Friends that I love and Love me as a Middle class worker ,than to be Monetarily wealthy man. Wealthy people never know if someone is "Being" their friend because they have so much wealth or because they are just a good person and Friend. As a middle class multi tradesman(Blue collar worker to you) I place "Wealth" in a completely different category and set of circumstances than you. I think that is why most Disagreements about this subject occur.

Exactly, but Bart, Sam and Bob worship the almighty dollar.

Here is one of Bart, Sam and Bob's heroes. They worship the ground he walks on, and thinks he is being harassed by mean, jealous liberals.

Sharon Dwyer 1 year, 9 months ago

A wealthy person already has basic needs met before paying taxes. Maybe it cuts into travel money, but a middle class or lower income person paying taxes has less money for food or gas. If everyone paid their share we would all benefit. Some wealthy folks, like Bernie, see this as a in issue of justice for all. Others are too arrogant to recognize it as anything other than a personal inconvenience to be avoided legally or not.

Michael Kort 1 year, 9 months ago

Id cal 1-800-bro-wnie ! I might say " it's my money and I need it now".

Richard Heckler 1 year, 9 months ago

Sam Brownback complains and mismanages taxes some might say intentionally yet has been on a tax dollar payroll for how many decades? And will be if he ever retires? Taxes cannot be too bad if those who complain are on a tax dollar payroll and/or a tax dollar supported retirement program.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.