Discussions

Reader comments

On Who do you think deserves to have a statue on Kansas University's campus?

Comments

Ken Easthouse 1 year, 11 months ago

Paul Rudd as a life-sized Ant-man. There could be 20 of them all over campus and no one would notice.

Richard Aronoff 1 year, 11 months ago

One person's terrorist is another person's patriot.

Andy Craig 1 year, 11 months ago

The question does not state that the person needs to be a Kansan to have a statue.

John Brown is a fine choice!

Brett McCabe 1 year, 11 months ago

Phog Allen wasn't a Kansan either. I don't think you need to be born and raised here in order to have a statue.

Kate Rogge 1 year, 11 months ago

He and members of his family lived in Kansas Territory, and a painting of him is in the Capitol building. How long must out-of-staters live here to be Kansans?

Terry Sexton 1 year, 11 months ago

The Tan Man

Billy Mills

Phog

Wilt

Glen Cunningham

Gale Sayers

Robby Steinhardt

Tim Foley 1 year, 11 months ago

Phog has both a statue and a fieldhouse.

Terry Sexton 1 year, 11 months ago

And he deserves the statue (and the fieldhouse), too! Just like the question asked.

:-o)

Clara Westphal 1 year, 11 months ago

There should be one of Elizabeth Watkins placed between Watkins and Miller Scholarship Halls. She helped many women be able to attend college. Her endowment is still funding scholarships for women students.

Patricia Davis 1 year, 11 months ago

I'd like to see statues of all of the University of Kansas Chancellors—in a conversation—in the area behind the Spencer Museum. They are the microcosm of the university's history

Phillip Chappuie 1 year, 11 months ago

I think Mangino has a statue down at the Chinese buffet.

Stephanie Hull 1 year, 11 months ago

Nancy Kassebaum. First woman to be elected to a full Senate term who wasn't preceded by her husband.

Maddy Griffin 1 year, 11 months ago

Beat me to this. We fed "Max" , his wife and many of their friends, lunch at Taco John's on Haskell many times a week for years. One year at Christmas, he made us all little statues of the little Taco John's guy. Such a sweet man and very funny also.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

Shelley Miller

CJ Brune

Hilda Enoch

Nancy Kassebaum

KT Walsh

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

I concede to adding Eldon Teft to the suggested list above. In fact I say all six deserve space on campus absolutely.

So Mr Teft has ties to Philbrook Museum of Art in Tulsa. Not only is the museum awesome so is the landscaping surrounding the museum. A choice place to spend some time.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/Philbrook.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Philbrook_Museum_of_Art&h=822&w=1096&tbnid=FJwOAh3Jup-8yM:&tbnh=160&tbnw=213&docid=b1YEwy1uY7MkSM&itg=1&client=safari&usg=__d1s6byJK9O5x9pA3ArwvDbCjhiQ=

If in Tulsa another choice spot to hang out come evening time is Cain's Ballroom.

Ken Lassman 1 year, 11 months ago

How about expanding the list to other cultural icons worthy of a statue? For instance we could have a really big smart phone with the title "21st Century Tower of Babble."

David Holroyd 1 year, 11 months ago

What good is a statue without information about it?

Example : statue in front of the REAL Green Hall!

Carrie Watson, Helen Spencer, Maude Elliot. Three for starters!

Commenting has been disabled for this item.