Discussions

Reader comments

On Would you sign up and pay for a Google Fiber-type service in Lawrence?

Comments

Mike Edson 1 year, 2 months ago

No. I would only sign up for the real Google Fiber service.

Erin Graham 1 year, 2 months ago

Google Fiber "type"? Or the real deal? I'll stick to my sluggish, but reliable ATT service until the real Google Fiber comes to town.

Beth Ennis 1 year, 2 months ago

I would love to see a competitor to both AT&T and WOW. I have had both services and both are not reliable. AT&T is better than WOW, but I still have a hard time streamling TV or movies, which is ridiculous in this day and age. I'm ready for something much better and faster!

1 year, 2 months ago

There must be some type of agreement, (probably laws) that regulate how much bandwidth, or how fast a home computer is allowed to run...and believe me....in the states it's just incredibly slow. It amazes that some start-up hasn't been able to find a loop hole. They would take over the market in a week. It's slow for a reason here in the states. Can anyone say N>S>A>

John Middleton 1 year, 2 months ago

I might be a little cautious of a "-type" service, maybe a wait-and-see, but if Google Fiber showed up here I would dump WOW like a hot potato. My service is inconsistent and they don't care about my calls for help.

Ned Wolfsosoon 1 year, 2 months ago

It all depends if the company is subsidized by the taxpayers. If it is, then no. Google is subsidized by the government already.

Cordelia Brown 1 year, 2 months ago

We have Google Fiber in KCK, both the Gigabyte high-speed internet and the basic TV package. We also have ATT U-Verse internet and phone at our house in Lawrence. I can't tell the difference in the internet speeds. After beefing about it to Google Fiber, they told me I needed to buy a special $25 adapter (USB 3 to ethernet) from Amazon to use between my SamSung Chromebook and their ethernet cables they supplied when they hooked up our house with Google Fiber. I bought the adaptive device. It still made no noticeable difference to me. Average internet pages like Facebook or Wikipedia do not load instantly, they still take about 3 or 4 seconds. I beefed again. This time they suggested I buy another laptop or netbook with more than one gigabyte of RAM. I bought another Chromebook with 2 gigabytes of RAM. I still can't tell any difference.
And, your wireless internet is the same speed whether you got the Seven Years Free Regular Internet or the Gigabyte Special Super-Slick Gigabyte Internet. No router can deliver the fast stuff wirelessly, apparently. Sadder and Wiser. It's no big deal.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.