Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On What was the best Christmas present you ever got?

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 3 months, 3 weeks ago

I was a senior in high school for Christmas of 1971, and one of my grandfathers gave me the best possible Christmas present ever - his light green 1950 Plymouth P-20 4 door sedan with just over 52,000 miles on it. As a widower, he had married the original owner of the car. I had admired it for years, and had certainly dreamed of owning it someday. Of course, I never mentioned that to my grandfather, but he had seen me looking wistfully at that car so many times that he knew all about it. Plus, I think he caught me sitting in the driver's seat a few times.

It was in excellent running condition, but the interior left a bit to be desired, although it really wasn't too bad. After I had been given the car, I owned it for 18 years, until 1989. For various reasons that I will leave out, during that 18 years I drove that car literally and exactly one mile.

I do not know where it is today. That car did have somewhat of a claim to fame though - the head on the flat head six engine had been cast on Halloween, that is, October 31, 1950, during night shift!

Jeanne Gardner 3 months, 3 weeks ago

When my sons were 1 and 3 i asked my husband for a homemeade gift. He made imprints of their tiny little hands and i still have them framed today!

Fred Vance 3 months, 3 weeks ago

When I was in the Navy in 1964, I got an unexpected two weeks leave at Christmas to come home.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.