Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Should there be a roundabout at Wakarusa and Inverness streets?

Comments

Bob Smith 1 year, 1 month ago

According to a prolific poster on this award-winning website, potholes make good traffic-calming devices.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 1 month ago

Roundabouts save lives and injuries, and that's good enough for me. I'm not so sure that one is necessary yet at that particular intersection, but eventually it will be.

Plus, there is an added benefit for the police - if the dent on your car is on the right side, it wasn't your fault. And, if the dent on your car is on the left side, you are responsible for the damage to the other car. That saves a lot of police time. A police investigation of a roundabout accident takes only a few minutes, and it can be done in the wrecking yard.

At a four way stop sign or a traffic signal, fault is not an exact science, and mistakes are often made. But the worst part is - a lot of people unnecessarily die at traffic signals, and many are seriously injured at four way stops.

One American is killed in a traffic accident about every 12 minutes 24/7, 365 days a year. Anything that can be done to reduce the number of people killed should be done.

DwardF 1 year, 1 month ago

Yes, roundabouts are a great place for everyone to practice NASCAR driving.

Scott Burkhart 1 year, 1 month ago

"Look, kids, Big Ben, Parliament" - Clark W. Griswold

Scott Batson 1 year, 1 month ago

Not a modern roundabout. Many people confuse older styles of circular intersections with modern roundabouts. East coast rotaries, large multi-lane traffic circles (Arc D’Triumph), and neighborhood traffic circles are not modern roundabouts. If you want to see the difference between a traffic circle, a rotary (UK roundabout) and a modern roundabout (UK continental roundabout), go to http://tinyurl.com/kstate-RAB to see pictures. And here’s another site that shows the difference between an older rotary and a modern roundabout: http://tinyurl.com/bzf7qmg

George Lippencott 1 year, 1 month ago

Here is a thought on the proposed roundabout at Wakarusa and Inverness. Once again a proposal by the city that impacts us surfaces as it goes to the commissioners. Such compressed timing does limit the quality of a response.

If the article in the LJW is accurate there is really no true advantage to building a big roundabout when comparisons are made on an apples to apples basis. Looking at that intersection I cannot imagine how we could construct such a monster without taking houses unless we move Wakarusa west. Cost will be at best a wash. I think our city planners see a project such as Harvard and Monterey Way. We see an Etoile or a DuPont Circle

So in the end maybe we reduce the severity of accidents by slowing down all the traffic. Why! Is the auto insurance industry contributing to our commission races? Traffic signals are used at almost all of our other major intersection. Wakarusa is the major North-South connector at the West end of the city. Equal treatment would seem appropriate.

I have always tried to follow a number of relatively simple well used rules in life. In this case – KISS – keep it simple – stupid. A traffic signal is all we need and it is long overdue!

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 1 month ago

I was at the bus shelter at the South Walmart talking with a first year art student from La Paz, Bolivia. She said that she was shocked by the way that drivers here stop at stop signs because in Bolivia no one does. Turns out we both like Ice Road Truckers, our fave driver is Lisa, and she saw them driving in the Andes. There are still very few women drivers in that country which is why they were so astonished at Lisa driving a truck.

Lane Signal 1 year, 1 month ago

I like the idea of a roundabout at Wakarusa and Inverness. My hope is that a roundabout would better encourage a residential feel to this area and slow down commercial and industrial development near the residential property. I also think traffic flow will improve with a roundabout. The more roundabouts Lawrence puts in, the better drivers will understand them.

Scott Burkhart 1 year, 1 month ago

I'll tell you what needs to be addressed is drivers coming to a stop when turning west onto Clinton Parkway from southbound Iowa St. or turning east onto 23rd St from northbound Iowa St. The proper way to take these turns is to navigate the corner at a safe speed, accelerate to the speed of the traffic, signal and merge into the flow. Don't stop unless absolutely necessary to avoid an accident. Coming to a complete stop is not standard operating procedure.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.