Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On What is your favorite barnyard animal?

Comments

Richard Hitower 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I know people told me I was being foolish when I tried to domesticate trap door prairie squid. And they were right to do so. What a disaster from start to finish.

Ron Holzwarth 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I'd say sheep, because they're so laid back and such tame animals. One of my grandfathers used to have a flock of them, and one spring my younger brother and I were there when it was time to shear the sheep. For those who don't know what that means, it means a buzz cut for the sheep so they'll be nice and cool for the summer, and also so that their wool can be sold. The buzz cut haircut obviously didn't bother the sheep at all.

My younger brother and I were very young at the time, and he came up with a brilliant idea. He came over to me and said, "You can ride them just like they're horses."

So, my brother and I rode around on the unsheared sheep, and they didn't mind a bit, since we were so small. But then, my Grandfather's hired hand noticed what we were doing, and he didn't think it was good for the sheep. Without even cracking a smile, he told us:

"Boys, don't ride the sheep."

It didn't seem funny for many years!

Bob Smith 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Some people certainly touchy about some subjects.

Autie Anderson 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I think some of those fainting goats would be fun. You could play drinking games..you know, like chug a beer every time one of them falls over. I want some free range chickens too. I think they make better oven range chickens compared to the grocery store behemoths.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.