Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Was the food you ate in school healthy?

Comments

Richard Heckler 11 months ago

Isn't the food for school students contracted out and hauled in instead of being completely prepared on site as it once was?

If this is true what's up with that?

Nikki May 11 months ago

Each school that has their own full kitchen prepares their own meals, but it's all processed. Then the schools that aren't equipped get the food delivered from another school.

grammaddy 11 months ago

Probably a lot healthier than the pre-packaged processed junk they are feeding the kids now. I attended school in the sixties.

WarHawk78 11 months ago

I suppose it was healthy enough, I survived. Not too tasty though

melott 11 months ago

The food was not alive, so it could not be healthy.

oldbaldguy 11 months ago

no, brought a lot of brown bag lunches to school.

nocrybabies 11 months ago

Most Americans don't realize how good they have it.

Lacy Mohler 11 months ago

The little school I attended had the best dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls and chili. The best cinnamon rolls ever. Of course that was back when schools still served ham and beans or meat loaf (no spam). There was also peaches, pineapple and apples. Too much spinach, hominy and sauerkraut (which I love now). There could have been more vegetables.

Do today's kids even know what hominy is?

2002 11 months ago

I went to Lawrence schools in the late 60's and through the 70's and the food in the schools was excellent. Fresh baked desserts a Chef's Salad choice in middle school and high school. High School was good, but I especially remember South Jr. High, almost restaurant quality.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.