Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Should KU’s funding be affected by David Guth’s NRA tweet?

Comments

BABBOY 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I do not see it as free speech issue. Yes, absolutely, Prof Goth has a right to his opinion. And, yes, I hate the NRA and agree with Prof Goth that the NRA is a major and substantial part of the problem in being such a force in lobbying against regulation of guns which in turn I think relates to all of the mass shootings. I think the NRA also promotes violence with some of their loony stances on guns being an alleged necessary part of our culture.

But, there is no free speech right that guarantees funding of school that allows it professors to make asinine comments such as the one Prof Goth made in this instance. First off, as liberal, I do not need other liberals taking stances that give the conservatives ammunition. Calling for children's death is such ammo. Secondly, more importantly, who the flip is he to call for someone's else's death in retribution for stance he disagrees with. Seriously, who the flip is he?! Flip him for being stupid.

As for the NRA, flip them too......

jonas_opines 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Well, that would be purely insane. But then, it IS Kansas.

Dont_Tread_On_Me 6 months, 3 weeks ago

If Guth is not disciplined in some satisfactory manner, then I have no problem with cutting funding to KU. That we employ some slug like Guth as a journalism professor is abhorrent.

The university belongs to us, not to KU. He needs to be held accountable for wishing death on other's children. This is not about the first amendment as he in no way is being threatened with breaking the law. He can, however, be punished by his employer (us) for saying something dumb and hateful

Commenting has been disabled for this item.