Discussions

Reader comments

On What would you do to lower the federal deficit?

Comments

Julie Craig 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm pretty sure Cat probably said "revamp" the tax code. . . . I like Joshua's answer!!

Rae Hudspeth 1 year, 8 months ago

Well, they are a bunch of blood-suckers.

Russell Fryberger 1 year, 8 months ago

I would take all the money we are giving away to other countries and take care of the U.S. first. But I guess we'll have to wait for the One World Order to begin before we can ever think that our deficit will be fixed.

Kyle Neuer 1 year, 8 months ago

Nothing gets fixed without campaign finance reform.

orbiter 1 year, 8 months ago

Foreign Aid is 1-1.5% of the federal budget.

Not a great place to start

Liberty275 1 year, 8 months ago

Downsize the federal budget until they struggle to satisfy the mandates in the constitution and only allow states and counties to create statuary law (and the city can still have codes), all of which are subject to repeal by voter moratoriums every two years if a petition with 5 % of the voters can be produced.

Cut the whole shebang by half and make the politicians work as hard as we do to pay the bills. And if they can't pay the bills, fire them and take their stuff.

Increase by 10X the salary of all elected officials.

nocrybabies 1 year, 8 months ago

Simply print more money, same as always.

del888 1 year, 8 months ago

Get rid of the people in the government who are wasting the money. Then (option 1): hire someone with a financial background to take their place (maybe Warren Buffett). Or (option 2): send the politicians back to the 3rd grade and teach them this rule: if you spend more than you make you will be broke.

In_God_we_trust 1 year, 8 months ago

Defund Obamacare / ACA, greatly downsize federal government, and impeach President Obama. Cut salaries in Congress to 40k / yr. so they know how to legislate for the middle class.

grammaddy 1 year, 8 months ago

The deficit has been cut nearly in half. To reduce it further, cut military spending.

David Albertson 1 year, 8 months ago

Go back to the Clinton era tax levels. Put term limits on congress, enact campaign finance reform and criminalize lobbying.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.