Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Is $140 in fine and court costs a fair price for a speeding ticket in Lawrence?

Comments

Bushloather1 1 year, 1 month ago

Depends on how much money you have.

Wayne James 1 year, 1 month ago

Sure! Perhaps the speeder will think twice about his/her lead foot the next time he/she gets in the car. For God's sake, slow down! Nothing in life is that important. The streets of Lawrence weren't built/laid out for cars that do more than 30 MAX. Many of the streets in "Old West Lawrence" date back over 100 years and may be asphalt now, but most south of ninth & north of the campus are either still brick or have brick that has been paved over once or twice.
I tool was once a "lead foot", but after back surgery a few years back, I slowed w-a-a-a-a-y down. A couple years after that surgery, I happened to be riding with my daughter, and as she sped down Mass. St., I said "From one lead foot to another, slow down". I said nothing more as she was then and is now, an adult but I hope she got the message. Unfortunately, I haven't seen or heard from her since we buried my Father back in 2004. EVERYBODY....PLEASE SLOW DOWN! Do not follow the car in front of you any closer than two car lengths, and allow that much room between you and the car in front of at a stop sign/red light. You never know when that distance may save you $$ and injury. Hospital beds ain't cool...I know, I've been there and done that twice in three years....once for back surgery, and once for a triple by-pass (totally unexpected).

Bob Harvey 1 year, 1 month ago

I am curious as to the fine for texting and driving. I am far more likely to be hit by a driver staring into his or her lap, especially now the students are back in town.

grammaddy 1 year, 1 month ago

Sounds fair to me.Speeding is the #1 killer.

jack22 1 year, 1 month ago

I thought distracted drivers, especially those using cell phones were the #1 killers?

jack22 1 year, 1 month ago

$140 in fines is about $90 too much. John makes a good point, the primary purpose of laws shouldn't be to make money. Personally, I'd much rather be on the road with a few drivers who were speeding but paying attention to traffic rather than a few drivers who were going the speed limit but paying attention to their phones. And by speeding I'm talking about maybe 10 miles over the limit, anything above that, and the speeder is just as dangerous as the driver using the cell phone.

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 1 month ago

Fines are too high to begin with.

And doubling the fines in a construction zone is also too high when there is nobody working anywhere.

wyattearp2 1 year, 1 month ago

The city needs to make it $300 for the 1st and $100 more for each ticket after that... fines in a work zone need to start at $500 when no one is working and $1000 and up when workers are present......

Commenting has been disabled for this item.