Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On What do you think the new hotel at Ninth and New Hampshire streets will do for downtown Lawrence?

Comments

swampyankee 9 months, 1 week ago

it will make the sidewalk on 9th st. too narrow by building a brick wall in front of it like the building on the west side of N.H. st. did how is that narrow opening A.D.A compliant ?

oneeye_wilbur 9 months, 1 week ago

And five stories is just a glorified motel upright. again, not enough money to build big!

oneeye_wilbur 9 months, 1 week ago

It won't reduce property taxes which it should. Each time the tax base increases the city and county and school district spend more than they take in.

Now is the time for our wannabe leader commission to put paid parking 24/7 all over downtown.

Will they ? No! They cater to the night business!

bearded_gnome 9 months, 1 week ago

^^none2 49 minutes ago

I hope they don't make it look like that ugly building on the Hill. That place looks like a crematorium that would be found in Gotham City.

---this is so funny! "shout peace!"

none2 9 months, 1 week ago

I hope they don't make it look like that ugly building on the Hill. That place looks like a crematorium that would be found in Gotham City.

bearded_gnome 9 months, 1 week ago

what downtown really needs is a 4,000 capacity convention center in order to bring people.

I'm glad something's finally going to be done with this empty lot. the 12-millibux are just vapor without this project. as to parking (see on-the-street comments) this thingy comes with added parking so I don't see this harming downtown parking.

I only see this increasing traffic in the 9th and NH intersection: please do not put a roundy there!!!!!

jane_doe 9 months, 1 week ago

It is on New Hampshire. It won't spoil my view from Freestate's patio...

jhawkinsf 9 months, 1 week ago

That $12 million wasn't going to be collected either way. It was going to be a hotel, with jobs and a tax abatement or it was going to remain an empty lot scattered with empty beer cans with a very low tax assessment. Pick your poison.

Richard Heckler 9 months, 1 week ago

That $12 million tax $$$$$ would be better spent on a VoTech campus.

rockchalker52 9 months, 1 week ago

I bet it'll be very nice. I like the new one across the street, too.

Stain 9 months, 1 week ago

Lawrence does not have a shortage of hotels. One more hotel is not going to bring more people here.

Stain 9 months, 1 week ago

Developers have been allowed to ruin this town, and they aren't going to slow down.

Even the so-called private building (heavily funded by our taxes) is an eyesore. There must be a million identical townhouses. These streets of townhouses are ugly, ugly, ugly, and not cheap for the building materials used, either. There is not much west of Kasold that is not ugly.

Richard Heckler 9 months, 1 week ago

Why were taxpayers forced to shell out $12 million to make the business successful?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.