Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On What do you think the new hotel at Ninth and New Hampshire streets will do for downtown Lawrence?

Comments

Richard Heckler 1 year, 2 months ago

Why were taxpayers forced to shell out $12 million to make the business successful?

Stain 1 year, 2 months ago

Developers have been allowed to ruin this town, and they aren't going to slow down.

Even the so-called private building (heavily funded by our taxes) is an eyesore. There must be a million identical townhouses. These streets of townhouses are ugly, ugly, ugly, and not cheap for the building materials used, either. There is not much west of Kasold that is not ugly.

Stain 1 year, 2 months ago

Lawrence does not have a shortage of hotels. One more hotel is not going to bring more people here.

rockchalker52 1 year, 2 months ago

I bet it'll be very nice. I like the new one across the street, too.

That $12 million tax $$$$$ would be better spent on a VoTech campus.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 2 months ago

That $12 million wasn't going to be collected either way. It was going to be a hotel, with jobs and a tax abatement or it was going to remain an empty lot scattered with empty beer cans with a very low tax assessment. Pick your poison.

Nonsense that lot would not remain empty forever.... get real.

A low tax assessment is better that no taxes being collected.

Taxes won't be collected eh? With the way city commissioners recklessly spend money OUR city needs to collect that money no matter what. When will city hall and the county start collecting property taxes?

The city could provide many miles of a very safe cycling/pedestrian transportation plan throughout Lawrence,Kansas that would save zillions over the years perhaps. Cycling/pedestrian surfaces do not wear down quickly = billions saved over time compared to roads. This would likely attract a healthy cycling population to ride along with the baby boomer cyclists. Now we're talking economic growth.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 2 months ago

what downtown really needs is a 4,000 capacity convention center in order to bring people.

I'm glad something's finally going to be done with this empty lot. the 12-millibux are just vapor without this project. as to parking (see on-the-street comments) this thingy comes with added parking so I don't see this harming downtown parking.

I only see this increasing traffic in the 9th and NH intersection: please do not put a roundy there!!!!!

bearded_gnome 1 year, 2 months ago

^^none2 49 minutes ago

I hope they don't make it look like that ugly building on the Hill. That place looks like a crematorium that would be found in Gotham City.

---this is so funny! "shout peace!"

jack22 1 year, 2 months ago

Compton says he's putting 60 million dollars into this intersection and the city is taxing him as if those buildings were only valued at $1.5 million. He's not being taxed at all on the buildings, he's being taxed on the raw land. That's a at least 50 million in real estate that the city is not collecting any property tax on for 20 years. Instead of making these developers pay their fair share, they're increasing the property tax on homeowners to make up for it.

Notice user fees and personal property tax increases taking place for the past 25 years "nickle/dimed at a time" since the inception of the sprawling bedroom community and over extended retail market.

Do we really want to know how much we are being over taxed as a result of the last 25 years? "Nickle Dime At A Time"?

The monster 30 year project that apparently will never support itself.

swampyankee 1 year, 2 months ago

it will make the sidewalk on 9th st. too narrow by building a brick wall in front of it like the building on the west side of N.H. st. did how is that narrow opening A.D.A compliant ?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.