Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Should Kansas abandon its ban on same-sex marriage?

Comments

Caz Snwot 1 year, 3 months ago

Kansas should consider a ban on itself.

DRsmith 1 year, 3 months ago

Wow, 100%. Wonder how the ban that was put in place by elected officials ever came about? Could it be that they are simply blowing off their constituency? This might be the dumbest question from the LJ I have see to date, and that is saying something.

chootspa 1 year, 3 months ago

That's fair enough. We were the only city in the state that voted against the measure the first time around. However, it's not as simple as just liberal Lawrence vs the rest of teapublican Kansas. Opinions are shifting.

I don't think Kansas is there yet, but in national trends, support for gay marriage actually flipped in 2011, and now more people support it than oppose it.

Amy Albright 1 year, 3 months ago

100% in the 9th smartest town in the country!

kernal 1 year, 3 months ago

Sorry to burst your bubble, Larry, but I know politically conservative Catholics in other Kansas cities who think the ban should be lifted. These are people with whom there cannot be a conversation about abortion - ever.

tomatogrower 1 year, 3 months ago

And none of those people have to marry a person of the same sex. It's just so simple.

Wayne James 1 year, 3 months ago

Why are the beliefs of the Roman Catholic Church allowed to control this country? I thought we had a constitutional amendment separating church and state? To this poster they border on IDOL worship with all the prayers they offer to all the saints. GOD alone should be worshiped and adored as HE is the creator of everything around us. His ONLY son was placed on this earth to teach the word of God and forgive us all our sins in the name of the ONE TRUE GOD, not some priest elevated to some godly position in the RC Faith!

Liberty275 1 year, 3 months ago

"Why are the beliefs of the Roman Catholic Church allowed to control this country? "

Mostly because they aren't?

he_who_knows_all 1 year, 3 months ago

Doesn't matter to me.
I'm already taken.

Richard Payton 1 year, 3 months ago

What other states ban same sex marriage?

In_God_we_trust 1 year, 3 months ago

Most States ban same sex marriage. A ban on same sex marriage is the norm.

Seth Peterson 1 year, 3 months ago

Ignorance! Moving on.

At least try to be accurate in your statements.

jafs 1 year, 3 months ago

I believe that is in fact true, and that something like 12-13 states allow same sex marriage - you have other information?

My issue is his statement that 'a ban on same sex marriage is the norm" - 31 out of 51 states and DC have the ban. 60% is hardly a norm; it may be a slight majority, but it's hardly representative of a norm.

Virgil_Caine 1 year, 3 months ago

Everyone deserves love and happiness, and it doesn't affect anyone else, so it's a no-brainer. Not sure why folks get so wrapped up in other people's business. Just make sure you have some good food and a well-stocked bar at your wedding, and I'll be there!

Russell Fryberger 1 year, 3 months ago

Don't care. It's not my business.

Now, lets talk about that marijuana issue.

rockchalker52 1 year, 3 months ago

An issue indeed. Takes a lot of gas money to get to Colorado. Cuts into my recreational funds if you know what I mean; a nod's as good as a wink to blind owl.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 3 months ago

Absolutely! Why should it matter if any couple want to make a life together.

Why should big government be the decision maker? Big government runs a reckless and sloppy ship I'd say.

The heterosexual encounter has a 50% divorce rate...... hmmmmmmmmmm

I personally don't have a problem with that if all of the adults involved have consented, and it'a not something some young girl was forced into while being raised in some cult. And of course that would include polyandry. But of course I would question their sanity. It's enough work making marriage to one other person work, I can't imagine putting more people into the mix.

" and it'a not something some young girl was forced into"

Young person. Some people might see latent sexism in your wording.

I'm glad you are rational about polygamy. Not thinking you have to tell other people what to do with their lives is pretty nice.

Alyosha 1 year, 3 months ago

Why would that be a condition for you, L7? Something you're trying to tell the LJWorld.com online community?

Or are you just deploying the slippery-slope logical fallacy because you can't deploy the kind of argument the Supreme Court used in its decision on DOMA?

Maybe she wants seven husbands There could be the yardwork husband, the cooking husband, the money making husband.and the gay husbands that do all the decorating. Then of course, there will be the frumpy housework husband.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 3 months ago

My understanding is that this is a legal matter because if those marriages are accepted they will have the same legal and financial rights that other couples have so the state has a vested interested in this.

I am in favor of homosexuals having the right to marry. This is about more than the Catholic Church, this is about the rights of people no matter what church or faith they have, they still have the right to get married. As a Catholic I have no idea why I would be expected to tell strangers what to do with their life. Heck, I will even throw the rice at the wedding!

bevy 1 year, 3 months ago

Frankie, you can throw rice, it's harmful to birds who eat it. You have to throw birdseed. But other than that - Yeah!

bevy, sorry, sorry, I knew that but forgot it, thanks for reminding me, its because the rice swells up in their stomachs, right? I love animals too. My face is red.

In_God_we_trust 1 year, 3 months ago

The ban is good law. So are the Sodomy laws. It keeps in check moral decay of society and defines same sex relationships as criminal behavior. Kansas should maintain the ban on same sex marriage.

Why don't you worry about your sin, and leave others alone. If you want a theocracy, move to another country. There is a place in Africa that is going to make homosexuality a capital crime. Why not move there? The United States is about equal rights.

Don't feed the trolls, its' best if you just don't respond.

ebyrdstarr 1 year, 3 months ago

Sodomy laws as relate to consenting adults are not good law. They are unenforceable and it would likely cost any city many tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars should they foolishly try to arrest or charge anyone on a sodomy charge without their being force or a child involved.

Alyosha 1 year, 3 months ago

If laws kept "moral decay" in check, then certainly we wouldn't hear about the sexual abuse of children now would we? And yet we do: http://ncronline.org/news/accountability/judge-orders-kansas-city-bishop-stand-trial-abuse-case

Plus, you need to define your terms and demonstrate factually, not emotionally, and not just based on your own feelings and beliefs, how same-sex marriage constitutes "moral decay."

jafs 1 year, 3 months ago

I don't know about that.

But, they're at least equally moral.

Why should those who love each other not be permitted to be together? Not be permitted to visit in the hospital when they are grievously ill? Are you really trying to say that when you can force your way of life on others, even when it makes them miserable and goes against what they want for themselves, that somehow makes you feel good? I don't get that.

mom_of_three 1 year, 3 months ago

"it keeps in check moral decay of society and defines... criminal behavor." Gee, I think they used that reasoning to keep slavery and to outlaw interracial marriage. But what you consider moral decay should not have an effect on equality for all citizens.

This is what Kansas should do. They should have an election. Based on the vote count some people will win and some will lose. We should then allow they to decide what should be illegal if the law is constitutional.

Or we can just click our heels and say yes five times.

Personally, I believe adults should be able to enter any contract they desire, so allowing gay marriage is on by default.

" It keeps in check moral decay"

Maybe we should replace morals with ethics. Ethics don't decay.

Should Kansas abandon its ban on same-sex marriage? Absolutely. And guess what? My marriage is just as good as it was on Tuesday. And there have been no floods or pestilence or any of that bad stuff. If you don't like same sex marriage, marry someone of the opposite sex. It's as simple as that.

verity 1 year, 3 months ago

Pestilence got washed away tonight in the flood. Life is good.

I'm sure there was a flood somewhere.

verity 1 year, 3 months ago

What is sodomy? Oh, never mind, I probably don't want to know---unless it's really, really fun and I'm missing out.

msezdsit 1 year, 3 months ago

Absolutely NO!! From the "get the government out of your personal life" right winger nut jobs.

I am always amused at the "We must preserve the sanctity of marriage between a man and a women" How much sanctity can you save with something that has 50% failure rate and a multi-billion dollar industry to undo the sanctity of that marriage. There sure is a lot of people getting handsomely wealthy from that failed sanctity.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.