Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On How would you improve downtown Lawrence?

Comments

LogicMan 1 year, 2 months ago

Restore one full block to the Wild West -- no cars/sawdust street, wood sidewalks and buildings, time-period stores (general and farm stores, saloons, boarding house, bank, post office), summertime gunfight shows/raid reenactments, etc.

grammaddy 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree with Sarah. I miss those funny t-shirts.

brassnip 1 year, 2 months ago

Either enforce jaywalking laws or ban cars.

tomatogrower 1 year, 2 months ago

It's too late now, but it would be nice if the developers hadn't offered huge amounts to buy most buildings downtown, thus pushing up the taxes for others, so they either had to sell or raise their rent so high that only chains could afford it. It would be nice to have more locally owned businesses. But it's all about money these days.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 2 months ago

Business has always been about the money, that's why they call it business.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 2 months ago

A pedestrian mall, from 6th to 11th. Allow cross traffic at the numbered streets, but no cars along Mass. Allow all restaurants to have outdoor dining on the sidewalks. Have a streetcar go right down the middle of Mass., then loop past the parking garages on Vermont and New Hampshire. Make the streetcar free to the public with downtown businesses picking up the tab.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 2 months ago

Made me think of a riff on a popular television show of the past.

Captain Kirk: "Spock, how much would it cost to tear up Mass Street from 6th to 11th, install the infrastructure for a streetcar, then extend it a block east and a block west?"

Spock, "I have not computed that, Captain."

Captain Kirk, "Well,...it would be astronomical."

Jack Clayton 1 year, 2 months ago

Excellent idea. Too bad it will probably never happen.

gccs14r 1 year, 2 months ago

I would start about halfway down the block between 6th and 7th, leaving road access to M&M. Yes, having a trolley running through downtown would be nice, and getting rid of the cars would permit getting rid of the sawtooth curbing on Mass. That would greatly expand outdoor seating options for the restaurants.

I'd favor closing cross traffic at 7th, 8th, and 10th, leaving it open at 9th and 11th.

One reason to not use a rail trolley would be because of the annual downtown bike race. Maybe it'd work better to have a battery-powered rubber-tired trolley.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 2 months ago

clean up the dog crap and pan handlers.

Jack Clayton 1 year, 2 months ago

More small businesses, less chain stores. A grocery store, a pharmacy/convenience store, and a 24 hour diner would be nice. Mixed use development in empty lots. Tear down the riverfront mall and make a park/riverwalk. A streetcar would be fantastic. As long as we're fantasizing...

Martha Oldham 1 year, 2 months ago

No more ugly new buildings that do not fit the atmosphere of beautiful downtown Lawrence. An example of an ugly building is he one on 9th street that has huge windows and all you see is exercise machines.

jack22 1 year, 2 months ago

I like the parades, outdoor movies and concerts, sporting events, and unique mom and pop stores and restaurants that give our downtown a lot of it's charm. What to add? Maybe some concession trailers selling good food at some of the vacant lots like the one by the Granada or the one at 9th and New Hampshire. More green space, trees, walking paths or even some bike paths around downtown would be cool, too.

nocrybabies 1 year, 2 months ago

Paint it red and name it LAGO.

unclebiff 1 year, 2 months ago

Have a store that has basic grocery/household items so we don't HAVE to go to dillons or walmart.

Leo Hawkins 1 year, 2 months ago

Put a Whole Foods in the former Borders Bookstore building. Add a fresh seafood restaurant again. Have policemen patrol Mass on foot after 7pm on weekends.

juma 1 year, 2 months ago

Spock to Cpt Kirk 'I have computed that the cost of Mass renovation is less than the Rock Chalk Park and will confirm my code that the 'good of the many shall outweigh the good of the one' .

Topple 1 year, 2 months ago

More surveillance cameras so I can feel safe.

Starbrite 1 year, 2 months ago

Sidewalks would look so much better if business owners would sweep the sidewalks in front of and behind their stores each morning.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.