Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On How would you improve downtown Lawrence?

Comments

Starbrite 10 months, 1 week ago

Sidewalks would look so much better if business owners would sweep the sidewalks in front of and behind their stores each morning.

Topple 10 months, 1 week ago

More surveillance cameras so I can feel safe.

juma 10 months, 1 week ago

Spock to Cpt Kirk 'I have computed that the cost of Mass renovation is less than the Rock Chalk Park and will confirm my code that the 'good of the many shall outweigh the good of the one' .

Liberal 10 months, 1 week ago

Pedestrian Mall on weekends only. Allow street music every summer weekend night. (full stage)

weiser 10 months, 1 week ago

Give music lessons to the hippies.

Leo Hawkins 10 months, 1 week ago

Put a Whole Foods in the former Borders Bookstore building. Add a fresh seafood restaurant again. Have policemen patrol Mass on foot after 7pm on weekends.

unclebiff 10 months, 1 week ago

Have a store that has basic grocery/household items so we don't HAVE to go to dillons or walmart.

nocrybabies 10 months, 1 week ago

Paint it red and name it LAGO.

jack22 10 months, 1 week ago

I like the parades, outdoor movies and concerts, sporting events, and unique mom and pop stores and restaurants that give our downtown a lot of it's charm. What to add? Maybe some concession trailers selling good food at some of the vacant lots like the one by the Granada or the one at 9th and New Hampshire. More green space, trees, walking paths or even some bike paths around downtown would be cool, too.

chestylion 10 months, 1 week ago

No more ugly new buildings that do not fit the atmosphere of beautiful downtown Lawrence. An example of an ugly building is he one on 9th street that has huge windows and all you see is exercise machines.

CWGOKU 10 months, 1 week ago

A nice flower shop or pet store would be nice

Jack Clayton 10 months, 1 week ago

More small businesses, less chain stores. A grocery store, a pharmacy/convenience store, and a 24 hour diner would be nice. Mixed use development in empty lots. Tear down the riverfront mall and make a park/riverwalk. A streetcar would be fantastic. As long as we're fantasizing...

oldbaldguy 10 months, 1 week ago

clean up the dog crap and pan handlers.

jhawkinsf 10 months, 1 week ago

A pedestrian mall, from 6th to 11th. Allow cross traffic at the numbered streets, but no cars along Mass. Allow all restaurants to have outdoor dining on the sidewalks. Have a streetcar go right down the middle of Mass., then loop past the parking garages on Vermont and New Hampshire. Make the streetcar free to the public with downtown businesses picking up the tab.

Andini 10 months, 1 week ago

Maybe a nice Mexican restaurant, or another Brewery to compete with Free State

tomatogrower 10 months, 1 week ago

It's too late now, but it would be nice if the developers hadn't offered huge amounts to buy most buildings downtown, thus pushing up the taxes for others, so they either had to sell or raise their rent so high that only chains could afford it. It would be nice to have more locally owned businesses. But it's all about money these days.

brassnip 10 months, 1 week ago

Either enforce jaywalking laws or ban cars.

Karl_Hungus 10 months, 1 week ago

Make the surrounding areas around Lawrence worse!!!

"Outside stages or platforms for musicians.” — Cameron Shoemaker, DJ, Lawrence

For the love of god, please do not make this happen as there already are enough bad musicians playing bad music downtown!!!

BABBOY 10 months, 1 week ago

It is pretty good. I would leave it alone.

grammaddy 10 months, 1 week ago

I agree with Sarah. I miss those funny t-shirts.

Andini 10 months, 1 week ago

Seriously...nothing. It's pretty good as is. Sure it's changed during my 27 years in town but it has remained vibrant unlike other cities downtowns.

jane_doe 10 months, 1 week ago

bigger front porch at Freestate

LogicMan 10 months, 1 week ago

Restore one full block to the Wild West -- no cars/sawdust street, wood sidewalks and buildings, time-period stores (general and farm stores, saloons, boarding house, bank, post office), summertime gunfight shows/raid reenactments, etc.

L7 10 months, 1 week ago

Bring back the 1968 penny collection.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.