Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Were you surprised Andrew Wiggins chose KU?

Comments

msezdsit 1 year, 7 months ago

Yes but:

I remember former K=State coach, Jack Hartman, explaining why he didn't like to recruit Juco players: "If you recruit kids that are willing to work hard and earn their playing time and then a juco kid comes in and steals that playing time, it makes your program a harder sell in the long term thus undermining the consistency of your program.

This still holds true but is made much worse for these players with the one and dones. Ben Mclemore was an exception because he was such a good kid and a tremendous talent that he was able to fit in. It sounds like Wiggins could be that type of player as well. If we have the type of year we all hope we do, we could have three one and dones. Lets hope we don't see to many of those committed players heading out the back door. We may need them after next year.

jonas_opines 1 year, 7 months ago

I agree with the basic gist of your post, but next year isn't one of the years where a long-term, hardworking player is going to get shorted by a one and done, because we don't really Have any long term players that would be expected to start in absence of the new recruits. (Tharpe, Ellis, Traylor as obvious exceptions, but I suspect that both Tharpe and Ellis will start. Traylor needs more work).

And of course there's almost 6 months before the ball is even tipped (:( but from what I've been reading about our class I suspect that there will only be Wiggins as a one and done and Embid and Seldon will stay at least two years. Next year's draft class is supposed to be quite a bit more stocked than this years was.

To the question: yes, I was quite surprised.

Mostly agree but it is what the kids think about whether they would have had more playing time more so than whether you or I would think they would. I would say Trailor very much could be one of these players.That is what motivates them to think of transferring. I think Embid and Seldon will come back but ESPN took Embid from barely ranked to 6th and if that is accurate he could go. In the end, these are all problems you would rather be talking about than why can't we get the good recruits in here.

That is all well and fine but it ultimately can hurt the consistency of the program overall and the program takes that hit. If your program has a reputation of telling people to work hard and earn playing time and then it turns around and tells them something else later, the program will develop a reputation that will hurt its ability to recruit. That is pretty easy to figure out. Ku is a big time program and your right that no one should come here and expect a guarantee with the exceptions being a Ben McLemore caliber player who was so talented there was no doubt he should have been playing. I expect Wiggins to be the same or better. Neither Henry nor Selby's one year contribution measured up to their hype and those are the players that can hurt more than help in the long run. Nevertheless, its great news to land Wiggins and we have a lot to look forward to next season.

he_who_knows_all 1 year, 7 months ago

Yes. What classes will this student athlete be taking?

he_who_knows_all 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm also sad that Andrew will be taking away playing time from Tyler Self.

Maggie Morrissey 1 year, 7 months ago

Best coach, best team, best school, best community, why would anyone want to go anywhere else?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.