Reader comments

On Kansas University must update a federal database at least every semester on international students’ status in school for the students’ visas to be renewed. Do you think the university should be responsible for keeping track of international students?


Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 11 months ago

Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. You must have a student visa to study in the United States. Your course of study and the type of school you plan to attend determine whether you need an F-1 visa or an M-1 visa.


What is the J-2 Visa?

The J-2 Visa is a non-immigrant visa issued by a consular official at a U.S. embassy or consulate for spouses and dependents (unmarried children under the age of 21) of J-1 exchange visitors who accompany or later join the J-1 holder in the United States. Who is eligible?

Eligibility for a J-2 Visa depends on the specific exchange program being offered to the J-1 non-immigrant by a sponsor organizations. The exchange categories of au pair, camp counselor, secondary school student and summer work travel do not permit J-2 Visas. In addition, although some categories allow for spouses and/or dependents to accompany a J-1 Visa holder, there are specific programs that do not.


Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 11 months ago

Yes, I do think it is the responsibility of the college or university to keep up to date records of their international students. After all, the government has to get their information from somewhere and how else would they get this?

The international students are wonderful people and add a lot to our community. They are fascinated by our weather especially those that come from places where there is no snow and they look forward to seeing it for the first time. Those who are from very crowed places like Lawrence because to them it is spacious.

Kat Christian 4 years, 11 months ago

Yes it is the Universities responsibility partially, but in partnership with INS. The University applies for Visas for foreign students. At least they use to. That was one of my jobs when I worked for UMCP. To walk students through the process, to make certain they were updated and current. I don't t think the INS can handle this alone with all the Universities in this country. There has to be a portion Universities handle. However, I do think that the INS need to develop a better tracking system. For now though, INS needs reorganization. I think everyone there should be let go, except those who want change and will work to mandate change then the US needs to close all of our borders, until they can make certain all foreigners who have a Green card/Visa is current and updated. Then the US can open the border for one country at a time until they can perfect tracking these people. Then gently allow other countries to enter. It is the only way I see they can control this mess and keep the haters out of our country.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.