Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Should Lawrence be doing more to attract retirees?

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I would say no because retired people use resources, they don't provide them. So, Lawrence would need more people willing to work in the service industries to serve in restaurants and such. Also, retired people tend to have a lot of health problems so we would need to consider that aspect.

I think for a town, or a small city, to be healthy it needs a mixture of ages and cultures. No one of them should be emphasized. Lawrence should be welcoming to all.

Darin wade 11 months, 3 weeks ago

No..I shouldn't have to pay for your retirement Recognition

Nor commend you for being a economic graduate of selfish achievements

CWGOKU 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Real Estate is too expensive to retire in Lawrence. Among other things

The_Original_Bob 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm not sure why they'd come to Lawrence when it is much cheaper living in a similar city like Olathe. They can visit Mass St. and take in a game when they feel like it.

kernal 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Are we still talking about this with sales and property taxes going up? What a laugh. Maybe if we did away with the sales tax on food, but other wise? fergidaboudit.

L7 11 months, 3 weeks ago

There is nothing Lawrence can do to counter the Brownie effect. All my plans are oriented toward leaving Kansas when I retire, and I don't see that changing.

g_rock 11 months, 3 weeks ago

When I became 40 and single again, I was wishing we would do more to attract the middle aged folks BACK to Lawrence.

grammaddy 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Not until something is done about the cost of living here.

Bill Lee 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Retirees are ready for life to get easier. Replacing Knology would be a good place to start. We need more retail in North Lawrence which is where many retirees will live.

ljreader 11 months, 3 weeks ago

9 out of 10 retirees like cheap water bills and low property taxes- so NO- yer running retirees off.

Benjamin Roberts 11 months, 3 weeks ago

“I’m not sure what they’re doing.” — Vivian Moriarty, student, Lawrence

Don't feel bad Vivian; they are not sure what they're doing, either.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.