Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Would you shop at Menards if it came to Lawrence?

Comments

LogicMan 1 year, 8 months ago

Definitely. Several times per week.

If those two students above stay in Lawrence, they'd be buying there too. There's lots of good stuff sold at Menard's and Home Depot needed for filling their future households to the brim. It's the American way.

streetman 1 year, 8 months ago

I might START shopping Lawrence rather than making a weekly trip to Topeka for nearly everything.

LawrenceTownie 1 year, 8 months ago

I used to go to Menards in Altoona, Iowa where my daughter lived. I found a painter's ladder there that was in my price range. I use it all the time, have looked and looked for another one at other hardware stores. Not found, but will buy another from Menards. It is made stronger than any other ladder I have looked at. Yes I will definitely buy from Menards again.

craigers 1 year, 8 months ago

Absolutely. You can get some pretty solid stuff there for a good price. Last year even with driving to Topeka, I saved more on purchasing patio pavers and landscape rocks than buying at Home Depot.

loosecaboose 1 year, 8 months ago

I am tired of Johnson County getting my sales tax dollars at Lowes because our half-pint Home Depot don't have what I want to buy. I have also found Menards to have a much better lumber selection for a hobby woodworker, so I guess Shawnee County will get my tax dollar also. Of course, we will probably make a day of it eating out and other shopping.

bad_dog 1 year, 8 months ago

There's this outlet called internet sales that might be useful for you. They'll even deliver it to your door; often free of charge.

jlzack 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm a Home Depot fan, and from what I hear, most items you have to mail in a rebate to get the discount.... therefore, I probably wouldn't shop there!

Russell Fryberger 1 year, 8 months ago

We need someone to compete with The Home Depot. Kind of one sided right now in Larryville.

Tammy Copp-Barta 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes .. I was impressed with the selection of items at the one in Topeka.

The Payless Cashways store in Lawrence was their most profitable and might still be here. But unfortunately the entire company crashed and burned, just like Builders Square.

msezdsit 1 year, 8 months ago

I would be very frugal about shopping at menards. They pretty much played their hand with their purely posturing statement about not putting a store in Lawrence because of Obamacare. Now that they got their mileage out of a clearly false statement it is ok to open a store in Lawrence in spite of Obamacare. The problem comes in with the domination of the market that the big box stores enjoy which means Home Depot is guilty of just about anything menards is.

What you can count on is my continued support of the few "Cottins" type businesses we have left. Good people who give back to and support the community they live in.

msezdsit 1 year, 8 months ago

Slice it how ever you want to burger, I will always vote local with my dollar and you can support whomever happens to be more politically aligned with you. Believe it or not, republicans also own local businesses.

I cite Cottins as an example because there is at least some crossover where you could get the same products at either place. In that situation, I would always support local businesses.

Ladybug2 1 year, 8 months ago

We drive to Topeka now to go to Menards and then stay and eat and do some other shopping. We also go to Home Depot in Lawrence but many times they don't have what we need and their prices are higher on identical items.

chootspa 1 year, 8 months ago

My guess is that it would also be a smaller store, since Lawrence is a smaller town. Those who think they'd be in home supply shopping paradise because they like the one in Topeka are probably going to be disappointed.

Bit of a vicious cycle, really. Shop in KC because the big boxes in Lawrence don't carry it. The big boxes in Lawrence don't carry it because everyone shops in KC.

Other LJW article says it would be 190000 square feet. The Topeka paper says theirs is 240000. An old LJW article says Lawrence's Home Depot is about 106000 square feet.

So, yes, both would be less than full sized stores.

To level the playing field, the City could promise Home Depot that they could take over the Best Buy store and build a connector and lumber yard between when BBY is finally knocked off by Walmart and Amazon.

bad_dog 1 year, 8 months ago

I believe Home Depot wanted a bigger store but the planning commission wouldn't allow it.

1 year, 8 months ago

I would I love going to Menards when I go to Topeka. I still would go to Home Depot.

In_God_we_trust 1 year, 8 months ago

I would shop at Menards in Lawrence, but I believe better placement of the store would be in Ottawa. City of Lawrence does not really appreciate the opportunity from businesses, and does not deserve a Menards.

Jim Phillips 1 year, 8 months ago

After my last goat rope with Home Depot, Menard's first and foremost.

RogueThrill 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't have a problem with a Menard's but I will still shop at Cotton's unless I need lumber.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.