Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On What is your favorite old or historic building in Lawrence?

Comments

ridikkulus 1 year, 7 months ago

Watkins is amazing. I love Teller's, too, and the building that houses Astro Kitty.

rockchalker52 1 year, 7 months ago

I like the looks of our county courthouse. The big clocks are nice. Another favorite structure is the bandstand at South Park.

Ichegoya 1 year, 7 months ago

The field house is kind of bland from the outside. The house near burcham park, the brick one with the tower. That's a cool building.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 7 months ago

How about one on grungiest apartment complex? I go by one on the bus on the way to shopping and I can see moss growing on the canopy's that are over the doorways. They could be a project for a biologist at KU.

Memorial Stadium and Allen Fieldhouse are located on KU campus. Memorial Stadium was built in 1920 for the Kansas Jayhawks football program. It was named to honor KU students who died in World War I. Allen Fieldhouse was built in 1955 for the basketball program and was named for Phog Allen, a coach at KU from 1907–1909 and 1919-1956. On November 4, 2010, the ESPN's online publication, The Magazine, named Allen Fieldhouse the loudest college basketball arena in the country,[68] whilst prominent sportswriter, Mark Whicker, has publicly declared that the center is "the best place in America to watch college basketball."[69]

The city is known for a thriving music and art scene. Rolling Stone named Lawrence one of the "best lil' college towns" in the country in its August 11, 2005, issue.[76] The New York Times said Lawrence had "the most vital music scene between Chicago and Denver" in a travel column on February 25, 2005.[77] Locally owned bar and music venue The Replay Lounge was named one of Esquire magazine's top 25 bars/venues in the country in 2007.[78]

The whole city of Lawrence is one historic/artistic/musical paradise. Be grateful you live here, people.

Jennifer Klopp 1 year, 7 months ago

Dyche Hall is always interesting to look at when I pass it: Gargoyles, inscriptions, architectural details near the top of the building as well as the shape of the entrance. I've always wanted to see the inside of the 3 story Italian villa style home on Tennessee, I think it maybe in about the 1700 block. It looks beautiful.

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 7 months ago

Yes the old Penny home on 7th and Tenn. , Castle Tea Room 15th and Mass , plus old Jayhawk movie theater on Mass.

Liberty275 1 year, 7 months ago

My house is my favorite old place in Lawrence.

One thing I notice around town is about every few blocks you can find a house with unusual architecture, It's interesting to see really odd buildings surrounded by run-of-the-mill houses or even the Victorian stuff. I think they are grad projects from the school of architecture that were built by the student or more likely their parents. If anyone knows different, fill us in.

Nikki May 1 year, 7 months ago

I like the Zimmerman house (on 3rd and Indiana) and the Blood house (on Tennessee). I know they are privately owned homes, but I don't know who they belong to. I also like the John Usher house (is a frat on Tennessee). BUT, my favorite is the Samuel Riggs house on 15th street. I always imagine in would be a great setting for old movies. All those are on the historic registry and have cool stories.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.