Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Have you ever researched your family’s genealogy?

Comments

Kat Christian 1 year, 1 month ago

This is so interesting...keep posting

g_rock 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm one quarter Oklahoma Land Rusher....but I don't think that counts after your great great grandparents are ran out of the state for some unspecified trouble with the law....

L7 1 year, 1 month ago

It don't really matter. when you're dead you're dead and the worms do their thing.

Lacy Mohler 1 year, 1 month ago

My son researched our family this past year and happily found out that my mother-in-law's relative on the Mayflower was an indentured servant to my relatives on the Mayflower.

Don't have to hear about her Mayflower connection anymore.

George_Braziller 1 year, 1 month ago

My paternal grandmother and my mom researched and traced both sides of the family back to the late 1700s. It's a lot easier to do now. The did it before the internet so it was a lot of letter writing to distant relatives, trips to court houses and cemeteries, and library research.

Rae Hudspeth 1 year, 1 month ago

When it all comes down to it, family history can only be absolutely traced matrilineally, and only if you have decent family records.
That's not the case for a great many non-whites in America.

CWGOKU 1 year, 1 month ago

Speaking of genealogy, today is my birthday

CWGOKU 1 year, 1 month ago

No. One of my brothers has, and it is interesting to see the people we are related to and all that, but I know I am just a mutt.

Kat Christian 1 year, 1 month ago

I've been able to research my father's side as far back at 1410 where my 16th Great Grandfather was born in Scotland - his son finally moved to England and married. 3 generations after that my 10th great grandfather is buried at Windsor Castle. He was an Archbishop to the Royal Duke (haven't found out which one yet). My 8th great grandfather immigrated to America. It was my 3rd great grandfather who made his mark in America by carving out a town on Lake Erie (Wilsontown, NY) which is now a Resort Town just below the abandoned town of Niagara. Most of my relatives are buried in the famous Greenwood Cemetary. My grandmother who lived her life out in Buffalo, NY is a cadaver in somewhere in the USA. My mother (Mother's side) of the family has been more difficult to research because of the conflicting stories I was told as a child. However, with my Mother's father I've been able to trace back to Thomas Jefferson who was a neighbor of my 9th great grandfather. An excellent book to read about geneology is Slaves in My Family by Edward Ball. Not only tells about his own journey of tracing his family geneology, but has a fabulous account of the history of the beginning of slavery in this country.

Darin wade 1 year, 1 month ago

No..because my family tree has bad unhealthy traits like alcholism and wife beating and dysfunctional values that can mutate genes from the bloodline and can produce a generation of losers and criminals and unsocial behaviors..

thats the reason why I don't marry and produce childern and modify my behavior and live healthy.

autie 1 year, 1 month ago

My people snucked into this country back around 1820 and came in at NOLA. Then they crept slowly up the river until they gots to Minnesota. That was on my Daddy's side. Momma' people were from Sweden. Her great grand daddy left Sweden to avoid the draft. They landed in Nebraska. Draft dodgers and illegal immigrants. That is what by God founded America.

Wayne James 1 year, 1 month ago

My GG Grandmother on my fathers side, remarried a union soldier after her first husband died in the mid 1800's, and they had a daughter who when she grew up, marrried a man who, as fate turned the pages became my great grandmother on my mother's side of the fence. Really get confusing for sure. Not directly related to a famous train robber but could be distant cousins.

Gandalf 1 year, 1 month ago

The earliist I've found so far is Mitochondrial Eve.

riverdrifter 1 year, 1 month ago

A crazy geneologist-type cuzzin found out years ago that we is directly related to the Metheny family from the state to our east, town of Lee's Summit. I've since met cuzzin Mike but haven't met Pat yet. There's a big family reunion coming up and they say the music will be some kind of a fusion thingy. This should be good.

Benjamin Roberts 1 year, 1 month ago

"Have you ever researched your family’s genealogy?"

No, I leave that up to the geneacologist.

Andini 1 year, 1 month ago

No. Inbreeding scares me.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.