Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Have you ever researched your family’s genealogy?

Comments

riverdrifter 1 year, 9 months ago

A crazy geneologist-type cuzzin found out years ago that we is directly related to the Metheny family from the state to our east, town of Lee's Summit. I've since met cuzzin Mike but haven't met Pat yet. There's a big family reunion coming up and they say the music will be some kind of a fusion thingy. This should be good.

Wayne James 1 year, 9 months ago

My GG Grandmother on my fathers side, remarried a union soldier after her first husband died in the mid 1800's, and they had a daughter who when she grew up, marrried a man who, as fate turned the pages became my great grandmother on my mother's side of the fence. Really get confusing for sure. Not directly related to a famous train robber but could be distant cousins.

mom_of_three 1 year, 9 months ago

hubbys side is from sweden, too, ended up in minnesota and wisconsin, but haven't looked to see how they arrived.

Kat Christian 1 year, 9 months ago

I've been able to research my father's side as far back at 1410 where my 16th Great Grandfather was born in Scotland - his son finally moved to England and married. 3 generations after that my 10th great grandfather is buried at Windsor Castle. He was an Archbishop to the Royal Duke (haven't found out which one yet). My 8th great grandfather immigrated to America. It was my 3rd great grandfather who made his mark in America by carving out a town on Lake Erie (Wilsontown, NY) which is now a Resort Town just below the abandoned town of Niagara. Most of my relatives are buried in the famous Greenwood Cemetary. My grandmother who lived her life out in Buffalo, NY is a cadaver in somewhere in the USA. My mother (Mother's side) of the family has been more difficult to research because of the conflicting stories I was told as a child. However, with my Mother's father I've been able to trace back to Thomas Jefferson who was a neighbor of my 9th great grandfather. An excellent book to read about geneology is Slaves in My Family by Edward Ball. Not only tells about his own journey of tracing his family geneology, but has a fabulous account of the history of the beginning of slavery in this country.

Rae Hudspeth 1 year, 9 months ago

When it all comes down to it, family history can only be absolutely traced matrilineally, and only if you have decent family records.
That's not the case for a great many non-whites in America.

mom_of_three 1 year, 9 months ago

that;s not quite true. before 1850, most census records only contained the head of the family, which was usually male. Hard to trace some things through the women in the family.
And I agree...its much easier to trace white ancestors than non white ancestors.... having trouble with my grandmothers maternal side of the family due to that issue.

George_Braziller 1 year, 9 months ago

My paternal grandmother and my mom researched and traced both sides of the family back to the late 1700s. It's a lot easier to do now. The did it before the internet so it was a lot of letter writing to distant relatives, trips to court houses and cemeteries, and library research.

Lacy Mohler 1 year, 9 months ago

My son researched our family this past year and happily found out that my mother-in-law's relative on the Mayflower was an indentured servant to my relatives on the Mayflower.

Don't have to hear about her Mayflower connection anymore.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 9 months ago

Well, I plan on being cremated, and have my ashes put in a black urn with my name in gold writing, Lucinda Handwriting, I am thinking. I am also going to have my cat cremated when he passes over and then have all the ashes shaken up in the urn so they are mixed. I want my daughter to keep the urn in her home.

So, no worm is going to be doing anything to me. I believe in the resurrection of the soul and the body and life everlasting so the ashes in the urn will be a place-keeper.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.