Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On The city is having a hearing about a plan to ensure every rental unit in the city is licensed and inspected periodically. Do you think the city should periodically inspect rental units?

Comments

Liberty275 1 year, 1 month ago

Only if the inspection is requested by the renter.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 1 month ago

"As a parent of a student at KU who rents, sure, fine with me to inspect. I'll pass, on the card for Sean"

Thanks, CW. Sean is taking this really hard. He had a trip planned to Iran to hang with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

autie 1 year, 1 month ago

I sent a card also. I sent another one to Argentina.

CWGOKU 1 year, 1 month ago

As a parent of a student at KU who rents, sure, fine with me to inspect. I'll pass, on the card for Sean

BABBOY 1 year, 1 month ago

I thought the person who said the inspections should occur at the time of lease signing make a good point.

Otherwise, dumb idea. NAZI fishing expedition on the person renting the space.

All these idiot conservative pigs yammering about THEIR freedom. There is more to freedom then owning a gun and not being taxed. What about the 4th Amendment and basic rights to privacy?

Don't get me started on religion or speech because conservatives only care about their religion and their speech and trample on everyone’s elses….

Now, if the renter is requesting the inspection, or proper notice is given with an objection process, that is different but I doubt they will go to all that trouble.

Silly due process always getting in the way.....

Too many morons give up their freedom all too easily and get distracted with dumb issues.

Kat Christian 1 year, 1 month ago

With what I've seen in rentals around Lawrence...YES - Absolutely, BUT...as long as the City stay on top of the Landlords when they are issued a requirement for repairs. AND...the City elects a standard in which these rentals are to be kept. Some of the rentals I've seen when I was looking for housing 8 years ago I wouldn't want my dog living in. Why people don't take pride in their homes inside and outside is beyond me - whether rental or ownership. Yards should be part of the inspection too and kept up.

msezdsit 1 year, 1 month ago

One bad apple spoils the whole bunch. This is only necessary for the handfull of slumlords that rent anything regardless of any codes. Punishes the good guys.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm sending around a card for Sean. Please sign. He is inconsolable right now.

autie 1 year, 1 month ago

Annual renewal of inspection may be a bit of over kill. But some regular schedule of inspection is appropriate. Inspection upon initial licensure and then re inspection on a complaint basis might work with a three or five year inpsection renewal. It keeps the landlords on their toes.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 1 month ago

The city rate of $25 per unit is a bargain compared to surrounding communities in Johnson County. At close to 21,000 rental units in Lawrence,Kansas there is no reason this cannot support itself.

If there were no slum lords or irresponsible land lords this might not be necessary. Like it or not the rental industry brings this need upon itself.

hitme 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm all for it...I'm sure that renters will welcome it...(just don't look in the closet, right?)

Commenting has been disabled for this item.