Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On The city is having a hearing about a plan to ensure every rental unit in the city is licensed and inspected periodically. Do you think the city should periodically inspect rental units?

Comments

Richard Heckler 1 year, 9 months ago

The city rate of $25 per unit is a bargain compared to surrounding communities in Johnson County. At close to 21,000 rental units in Lawrence,Kansas there is no reason this cannot support itself.

If there were no slum lords or irresponsible land lords this might not be necessary. Like it or not the rental industry brings this need upon itself.

msezdsit 1 year, 9 months ago

One bad apple spoils the whole bunch. This is only necessary for the handfull of slumlords that rent anything regardless of any codes. Punishes the good guys.

Kat Christian 1 year, 9 months ago

With what I've seen in rentals around Lawrence...YES - Absolutely, BUT...as long as the City stay on top of the Landlords when they are issued a requirement for repairs. AND...the City elects a standard in which these rentals are to be kept. Some of the rentals I've seen when I was looking for housing 8 years ago I wouldn't want my dog living in. Why people don't take pride in their homes inside and outside is beyond me - whether rental or ownership. Yards should be part of the inspection too and kept up.

Liberty275 1 year, 9 months ago

Only if the inspection is requested by the renter.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.