Sept. 30, 2014 |
See complete forecast
Copy and paste the link:
Pre-treatment was a good idea, but then they dropped the ball after the snow hit. They've put hundreds of man hours into cleaning up the piles down town where the streets are already cleared. That should have been done only after all the streets have been cleared. It's Saturday and they haven't touched any of the neighborhood streets around me. If they eventually plow my street, there will be a pile of ice and packed snow chunks in front of my drive. I'll have to use a heavier metal round-tip shovel or a grain scoop to move those chunks. A real lack of leadership or experience managing snow removal. Hopefully, it will be addressed.
Two problems with leaving the downtown street-center piles intact:
1) Those huge snow piles quickly solidify into a rock-hard mass that necessitates the use of even heavier machinery to remove, and;
2) Should there be a warming spell following the storm, the snow piles are a source of meltwater that refreezes on the streets overnight, creating skating rink conditions the length of downtown Lawrence for drivers and pedestrians.
It's safer for more members of the public and for employees and owners of downtown businesses if the city crew pushes, loads and removes as much of downtown's snowmass as they can in one comprehensive job.
And just because team effort was expended to clear downtown, that doesn't mean the city crews were neglecting the town's major traffic arteries. They weren't. They never have. They gotta do the big routes first, else there's no point in clearing the side streets.
They didn't go to any extra effort to clear snow around the businesses not downtown.
My mother is 86 years-old. She paid some kid to shovel her driveway and her walk Then, the city blocks her in again with their man-made mountain of ice in front of her drive. She calls me and asks if it is OK to drive over it. I was screaming at her, "NO, IT'S NOT OK" cause she can't afford hearing aids that she needs...and I probably go a bad connection here in Hawaii, where I like to spend the off-season. She also can't afford a new muffler if she rips that off on the ice mountain. What's up with this unnecessary craziness? My mom is on a pretty tight budget and can't afford these extra bills. It's a sad day when she has to choose between food on the table and paying to clean up the city's mess.
Gotta love people who get on here and complain about the pile at the end of their driveway. Is it a pain? Yes! What exactly are they suppose to do have somebody come behind and clear all the driveways? I don't think so!!!
Aloha! Real men stick around and take care of their mom.
Commenting has been disabled for this item.
Henry T's Bar & Grill
Buffalo Philly With One Side
· Our menu is almost entirely gluten-free!
Wheat State Pizza
2 Medium Pizzas 2 Toppings Each
· Everyday Special: 10" 1-topping pizza and drink OR ...
Bird Dog Bar
1/2 Price Burgers
· All Bird Dog burgers are NatureSource hormone-free, all-natural ...
· All-Day St. Louis Ribs: Full Order $11.99, 1/2 ...
Famous Dave's Bar-B-Que
· $5 off a Feast for Two or $10 ...
Jayhawker Signature Taco Dish, $7.95-$9.95
· All Jayhawker specials are prepared from fresh ingredients ...