Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Do you think the city of Lawrence should include glass pickup in its curbside recycling program?

Comments

ljreader 1 year, 2 months ago

You'll buy it, alright, Buster. And you'll like it. Now go to your room.

ljreader 1 year, 2 months ago

Uh, you will buy recycling pick-up whether it includes glass or not, whether you use it or not, and whether you want it or not. This (the paying for it part) is mandated - not optional. There is talk that you will also be buying out several existing recycling businesses because our city is robbing them of their livelihoods. This was mentioned in a previous article, but has since been swept under the rug while they forge ahead.

Machiavelli_mania 1 year, 2 months ago

I will not buy recycling pick-up if it does not include glass. I use glass far more than I use plastics, since I am avoiding BPA.

I have also lost the need to prevent the filling of Hamm's dump site. I own nominal land here, but own much more else where. Elsewhere is where my heart is anyway. The need to preserve around here has recently be lost, since they forced upon us the RFID-ed trash cans, which I did not want.

prospector 1 year, 2 months ago

The only glass I have are Free State growlers, so no, I have a better plan for them.

Happy_Harry_HO 1 year, 2 months ago

No. The direct, indirect, social, and environmental cost of glass as a packaging material is too great. If no recycling is offered, then maybe glass will be finally subjected to market forces and be abandoned as a packaging material choice.
The amount of fuel used to transport products in glass packaging and to transport the empty containers is staggering. This puts a drain on other inputs that could benefit society greater. Glass packaging can be used as weapons, and abandoned packaging products are dangerous to humans and animals alike. The dredging to get raw materials destroys habitats and threatens water sources. Even the recycled products are dangerous and destructive to life. Eye, skin, respiratory irritation compounds and carcinogens are present in recycled glass products.

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 2 months ago

Adam in the above photo can pay my fee. It's nominal. I a sure he wont mind!

g_rock 1 year, 2 months ago

It will put the old man in the red truck that goes through my trash out of business.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 2 months ago

"Low market = bad idea."

What kind of Pinko Commie are you, Autie?

autie 1 year, 2 months ago

Depends. It might cost more in labor and fuel than what the glass is worth. Low market = bad idea.

woodscolt 1 year, 2 months ago

It they collect glass then they can defer collecting simons. sometimes it seems the city has a hard time figuring out what trash is trash.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.