Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Should Kansas University red-shirt freshman basketball player Ben McLemore go pro after this year?

Comments

uglyrumor 1 year, 2 months ago

Please go pro. Actually you should quit right now and just skip the rest of the season, especially the Big 12 tourney. Go Cyclones!

Jonathan Fox 1 year, 2 months ago

I think all athletes should finish college. These kids, who know nothing about how to handle money are drawn in with huge lump sum contracts that last usually 5 maybe 10+ years, but eventually they stop playing. Very few make it into their 30s playing basketball, then what? Now they're a high school graduate with some college who can play basketball, that doesn't play very well in the job market.

These barely 20-year-old kids don't look 20 years down the road. These athletes are notorious for blowing every dollar they make as soon as possible. They don't plan on retiring from basketball at 30 years old. Not including the risk of getting injured early.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 2 months ago

"bergerfry 3 hours, 33 minutes ago

A scholarship someone with learning potential could have made good use of."

He will make enough money in his first pro contract to send a thousand people, including himself, to college for a hundred years. The potential for getting an education will go nowhere. His massive earning potential has a short shelf life.

Cam Newton is back at Auburn this semester on his way to finish his education even though he cashed in early. Shaq just got his Phd (or will be getting it this semester.) It is like JawhawkLawrence posted earlier. It is matter of who he decides to surround himself with and making good decisions.

"Namely, he could have a bad year and his stock could go down"

Matt Barkley, step right up!

BABBOY 1 year, 2 months ago

This is easy.

You cannot turn down the millions he would make for being lottery pick and that is what he supposed to be as I understand it..

Lots of things can go wrong if he plays another year. Namely, he could have a bad year and his stock could go down or worse he could have an injury which causes his stock to go down or even not be drafted. Nobody wants injury but it is consideration and if he is going to get hurt it would be better to do it on the payroll with guaranteed money.

Ya all remember that guy from Florida – the Center from France with the pony tail. He stayed his senior year and had an iffy year and went down in the draft costing him money. And the concerns about injury should be self explanatory.

By way of example of being smart, Josh Freeman, the QB under that idiot Ron Prince at KSU, was very smart about when he went pro. Josh went the year that very few QBs were available and after practically being told by Coach Morris who was then head coach at Tampa Bay that they would pick him in the first round. If Freeman had gone stayed his senior year in school, the next year after staying numerous QB like Sam Bradford were available and Tampa Bay would have already filled their void meaning at minimum Freeman would have dropped to the second or third round costing Freeman lots of money.

Thus, if McLemore has a chance to go pro as lottery pick, he needs to do so.

Also, these guys can play ball only so long and each year they can make MILLIONS of dollars each year they play so they need to be doing so for many years as possible and that is true on the start date as well.

The other arguments about staying in school for maturity are lame and are just fans wanting another year to win games.

riverdrifter 1 year, 2 months ago

You go to college to increase your odds of having a successful career and maximize your potential. Check. Ben should go if he's projected as a lottery pick. Anyway, this decision is not made until the season is over. We've got six more weeks of kicking B12 butt to enjoy and then the big dance.

jonas_opines 1 year, 2 months ago

"An estimated 60 percent of N.B.A. players are broke within five years of retiring, and 78 percent of N.F.L. players are bankrupt or under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce within two years, according to a report by Sports Illustrated in March. The magazine also reported that many baseball players struggle financially after retirement."

Undoubtedly. These aren't people that we are idolizing for their brains or financial sense, ya'know.

CWGOKU 1 year, 2 months ago

I'd like for him to stay. But I'm selfish that way. The wife tells me I'm selfish anyway. I don't see why she needs covers on a cold night. Sheesh. Baby. Ben, please stay and enjoy college another year. But, in the end, do what is best for you.

"It will also depend on what kind of people he is going to be associated with and whether he knows how to make good decisions regarding his finances and his lifestyle."

Agreed. And one more year of college isn't going to change any of that.

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 2 months ago

"An estimated 60 percent of N.B.A. players are broke within five years of retiring, and 78 percent of N.F.L. players are bankrupt or under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce within two years, according to a report by Sports Illustrated in March. The magazine also reported that many baseball players struggle financially after retirement."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/sports/basketball/06nba.html?_r=0

My answer would be that it is up to Ben McLemore and my advice would be that it depends on how well prepared he is to use a relatively short career to secure financial security for himself and his family. It will also depend on what kind of people he is going to be associated with and whether he knows how to make good decisions regarding his finances and his lifestyle.

Absolutely.

"“ No. When they make a commitment to a school, I’d like to see them put education first.”"

Good grief. His scholarship is good for one year. And coaches bolt all the time without notice.

Brandon Deines 1 year, 2 months ago

My god, anyone telling that kid to stay in school should be hit with a taser. He is going to be a top five pick at worst, and might go number one overall. An athlete's earning years end in their mid-30s. And that's if they don't get injured. You don't take away one year of your earning potential if the League is ready to take you and guarantee you a contract. He doesn't owe KU anything. Give us two-and-a-half more great months, then via con dios, young man. Thanks for being the most dynamic, explosive, fun-to-watch athlete I've ever seen at KU.

jonas_opines 1 year, 2 months ago

If you're picked to be a lottery pick, you go. Could another year to develop help? Probably. Will it help his draft potential enough to be worth risking another year of injuries? Probably not.

JackMcKee 1 year, 2 months ago

Is this a serious question? Lol.

hiphopsux 1 year, 2 months ago

There is no need to even be thinking about this right now. Ben- you just go win a national championship with your teammates and the rest will take care of itself. Rock Chalk

autie 1 year, 2 months ago

Say what you will but that boy is not ready for the NBA. Many aspects of the game he needs to imrove on.

Andini 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree with Bruce...and Bruce is one of the nicest men I know. Man up!

Commenting has been disabled for this item.