Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Do you know the difference between affect and effect?

Comments

Chris Golledge 1 year, 2 months ago

So, next up, the difference between 'effective disorder' and 'affective disorder'.

Paul R Getto 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes, but the effect of knowing this doesn't affect me much. Can we do "lay" and "lie" next?

Kat Christian 1 year, 2 months ago

OMG...half of these explanations are misspelled, but the first explanation was on target. He may have learned this in second (and by the way bravo to you for remembering this rule), however they no longer teach this in school, as well as sentence structure and definition. When my child speaks to some of his peers in school they at times look at him as if he is speaking a foreign language, unless he ends a sentence with a preposition "where you at" or uses pronouns incorrectly "me and him" instead of "he and I" . Oh well, just the normal everyday dumb-down the education to save money syndrome. One day our grandchildren's generation will be speaking an entirely new language made exclusively out of slang words we use today. LOL

thebcman 1 year, 2 months ago

It's damn confusing, for sure. You can say, "the weather affected everyone's mood" , where affect is the verb.

You can also say, "the weather had an effect on everyone's mood" , where effect is the noun.

The English language is a curious beast.

autie 1 year, 2 months ago

Mr. Brownsack's suggestion to elminate the the tax deduction for homeowner interest and property tax will bring a negative afftect to negatively effect his re-election.

My_Life 1 year, 2 months ago

Know, I don't no the difference how their used.

BABBOY 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes, but that can be confusing when you are in hurry which I usually am......

Substance over procedure.

You grammar jerks get that one?

(ya all see the fragment sentence -- love those for affect or is it effect -- who gives a crap)

looza 1 year, 2 months ago

affect....effect.....infect....inject.....direct.....disect.....correct?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.