Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Facing a $700 million deficit, should the state cut income taxes next year?

Comments

Richard Heckler 1 year, 2 months ago

Cutting income taxes is no indication Kansas government will cost less anytime soon.

So how will government pay the bills? What does Brownback have in mind for all of those education tax dollars he is refusing to ante up? Where is is going to spend them?

Richard Heckler 1 year, 2 months ago

The more taxes cut at the state level the more city hall will need to raise taxes.

GOP supply side economics is heavily based on debt backed by borrowing yet they claim to despise taxes and tax increases. Ole dude Brownback has bee on a tax dollar payroll for a good many years. Notice how the economy sucks. He has also been around for those fraudulent home loan scams. Fact is he may not understand anything about economics.

--- This GOP ENTITLEMENT Bailing out the Bush/Cheney Home Loan Wall Street Bank Fraud cost consumers $ trillions, millions of jobs, loss of retirement plans and loss of medical insurance. Exactly like the Reagan/Bush home loan scam. Déjà vu can we say. Yep seems to be a pattern. http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2009/0709macewan.html

--- This GOP ENTITLEMENT - Bush/Cheney implied many financial institutions were at risk instead of only 3? One of the biggest lies perpetrated to American citizens. Where did this money go? Why were some banks forced to take bail out money? http://www.democracynow.org/2009/9/10/good_billions_after_bad_one_year

--- RECKLESS GOP Tax cuts = THE GOP ENTITLEMENT program for the wealthy which do nothing to make an economy strong or produce jobs. Tax cuts are a tax increase to others in order to make up the loss in revenue = duped again. Bush Tax Cuts aka

--- This GOP ENTITLEMENT program for the wealthy is at the expense of the middle class = duped one more time. http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2001/0301miller.html

--- In the end big debt and super duper bailouts HAVE BEEN the results which does not seem to bother Republicans, as long as they are in power.

In fact, by the time the second Bush left office, the national debt had grown to $12.1 trillion:

This GOP ENTITLEMENT - Over half of that amount had been created by Bush’s tax cuts for the very wealthy.

This GOP ENTITLEMENT - Another 30% of the national debt had been created by the tax cuts for the wealthy under Presidents Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

This GOP ENTITLEMENT - Fully 81% of the national debt was created by just these three Republican Presidents. http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2010/0111orr.html

This GOP represents wreckanomics and fewer jobs.

rockchalk1977 1 year, 2 months ago

"Gore: We can’t blame George W. Bush for everything".

http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/30/gore-we-cant-blame-george-w-bush-for-everything/

After 4 years, Obama needs to man up and take responsibility for his actions. The buck stops with Obama now.

Machiavelli_mania 1 year, 2 months ago

I remind everyone that we had a GOP-led state Congress that brought us into deficit, while their beloved Bush didn't help them at all to meet their fiscal needs. Rather he $ucked them dry, the horsepoop fella. They are NOT fiscally responsible, despite their party flags that they are.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 2 months ago

Most everyone I know stops spending when they can see the bottom of their sock. Reports are that doing nothing costs us 4 billion a day. Debt has to be paid at some time, I would think we need to stop the bleeding and start back the other way. But of course, if you don't pay any federal income taxes, or live off of the taxpayer, then why should you care?

rockchalk1977 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes, but a much more important question is.... Facing a $16.4 trillion debt, should Obama and the Democrats help cut spending next year? http://usdebtclock.org/

autie 1 year, 2 months ago

"osama to rob from the rich, give to the poor"

Brownback is in a band? He shuffles tires?

I'm confused by all of this. And I think drunk drivers shoot more guns at outlaws.

patkindle 1 year, 2 months ago

ok, so i tis fine for osama to rob from the rich, give to the poor and put us 13 thrillion in debt but when brownback tires to shuffle some money around that his band where do you think government money comes from it comes from the taxes we pay, if we do not pay any taxes the government does not have any money to give you are yu realy that stupid? it like drunk drivers kill more people every year that guns, but we dont out law cars??

BABBOY 1 year, 2 months ago

. Ahhh, wow, ya know, it would seem that simple math and logic requires a no answer to this one.

But, all the reality is human nature means that the ones in power do not want to give up power so they use that power to keep it.

Translation: The ones with money most affected by income taxes use their money to get leaders like Brownback elected to protect their money.

Do you get that middle class conservatives? Probably not. Guns more important than paying the bills, right?

otto 1 year, 2 months ago

Cut taxes, cut off Kyle and then have him straighten the shelves behind him - they are a mess.

Steve Miller 1 year, 2 months ago

If you make 75K or less, there should be no tax on the state or federal level. The government just keeps cutting into out daily lives every day. 2% here 2% there. Hell there are basically no more pay raises for those under 75K as recent as january 1st we all took a 2% hit right off the top. How much more blood does the government want. I say if they want to cut, cut their wages first, then we'll go from there. The politicians are doing a crappy job as it stands now anyway ?? Why do they get godzillian bucks to just take it away from us. That is their job isn't it, to figure out a way to get our money and have us like it .

autie 1 year, 2 months ago

Uh, Kyle? Jeez....some people don't get it.

No, cutting taxes is stupid. If you have too many bills you can't afford do you ask to have your hours reduced at work? Of course not. The current taxing policy is insane.

My_Life 1 year, 2 months ago

Taxes should be eliminated for the first 50K of taxable income thus helping the people who really need it the most. Of course it won't happen that way.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.