Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Do you have any tips to avoid getting sick?

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Got my first flu shot in November.

Puked for 2 days.

appleaday 2 years ago

Influenza is a respiratory illness. Maybe you are thinking about gastroenteritis, which a lot of people refer to as the flu. When you get an influenza vaccine, you are given an attenuated form of the virus (it is altered so it can't cause disease). Your body makes antibodies to the proteins in the attenuated virus so that when you are actually exposed to a live virus, you are ready to attack it with an antibody response. People who get the live virus, nasal spray are given a weakened form of the live virus -- not enough to cause disease. People can have reactions to vaccines, because mounting an antibody response can set off some disease symptoms but not the disease itself. I've actually had influenza years ago -- severe cough, chest pain, muscle aches, fever. I've had flu shots every year for the past 25 years and only get a sore arm for a few days. It's your choice not to get a flu shot, but if you get the flu, stay home so that elderly people, small infants, and anyone with underlying cardiovascular or pulmonary disease doesn't get really sick and die.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 2 years ago

Stay away from humans on overpopulated planets.

ldvander 2 years ago

The 2 hat method. Place your favorite hat on your ottoman. Kick back in your chair with a bottle of Knob Creek on your side table. Drink Whiskey slowly from your favorite cup or glass while staring at your hat on your ottoman. When you see 2 hats you are cured of any illness and will ward off any future sickness.

rockchalker52 2 years ago

I used to avoid KU Football, but my system has built up immunity. Dr. Weis has good medicine & is working on a cure.

beatrice 2 years ago

Avoid whatever reticent_irreverent, g_rock, the_original_bob, and eddie_haskell have been up to.

somedude20 2 years ago

Wash your hands 234-342 times after getting home from the Replay or Dirty Bird...oh, and never kiss with your mouth open

RoeDapple 2 years ago

So . . . I guess any reference to snot rockets would be found offensive . . .

Leslie Swearingen 2 years ago

Roe, I don't know why, but that is the one thing that is guaranteed to make me throw up, I mean, just seeing the word. I have it blanked out now with a piece of paper. However, I don't think that my phobia should influence what others can say on here. I can watch all the Saw movies and never be bothered, so I have no idea.

Did the big red button get stuck? I told 'em to lube that thing.

Eddie_Haskell 2 years ago

No doubt. Who's the priss on duty today? I damn near got away with murder yesterday. At least be consistant.

I looked up that guy that Reticent mentioned, that Semmelweis cat, and learned me a little scientific history before they brownbacked that bit of knowledge right on outa here.

A new size restriction? Well, font you very much.

Kathy Getto 2 years ago

I try to make sure I get very little sunshine from Florida. Works wonders!

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Just for the record, they never did give me control of the big red disapearededed button. dammit.

Bill Lee 2 years ago

Go through life with a positive attitude. That seems to work for me.

2 years ago

I use my own pen to fill out forms or sign receipts, and I don't touch anything (especially the magazines) at the doctor's office. I also pull my sleeve over my hand to touch elevator buttons, public door handles, etc. Perhaps I'm a bit of a germaphobe.

trinity 2 years ago

I'm finding all this comment removal preposterous, as I sit here at home from work with some sort of bug. But far be it from me to whine!! Carry on, lol-all I wanna know is wtf is up with the residents here??? They're harmless!

Katara 2 years ago

No, no, no. It's that song they sang in The Sound of Music.

Liberty275 2 years ago

I was told by an old acting professor that it is impossible to be sick on stage. According to him and from my very limited acting experience, as soon as you walk on stage anything that ails you stops. Maybe because you are becoming someone else that is healthy. Or something.

I think it just the adrenaline shooting through you because you have 100,000 watts of lighting on you and people are waiting for you to do something interesting.

Also, wash your hands.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.