Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Do you think it is important for children to learn cursive handwriting in schools? Why?

Comments

classclown 1 year, 10 months ago

i don't think children ought to be cursing whether it's done oraly or written.

Klumma 1 year, 10 months ago

No. I like block letters that I can read. Helps on contracts. Only write in Cursive to a bank note. Banks suck.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

I used to write cursive, but my anger issues are now a thing of the past. Dammit.

Do teachers still try to "cure" lefthandedness? My dumba$$ third grade teacher actually smacked my left hand with a ruler more than once and sent notes home to my parents in an effort to get me stopped from using my left hand. How dumb would that be? That other hand should only be used for wiping. And shaking hands.

And speed shifting. Operating a mouse. Changing radio stations. Left side snot rockets. etc.

laurennoel 1 year, 10 months ago

I can't believe the state is paying to do a study on this. What a waste of tax payers dollars. We can cut the funding to revitalize small communities, but don't touch the cursive handwriting. WTG Kansas!

Tomorrow's question;

Do you think it is important for children to learn to tell time on an analog clock? Why?

About 20 years ago I purchased a decorative sun dial for the wife's flower garden. Something never seemed quite right aboutit until last summer I figured out I had installed it 180 degrees out of time. Still useful for telling time at night though.

. . . If you can't see it . . . it's night.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 10 months ago

I can barely print anymore. My fingers get sore quickly. It's called Keyboard Syndrome. Fine, get rid of cursive. But I still wear a watch and I always will. And I'll always carry a wallet. And you can't make love to a cell phone. I got a snazzy mp3 player a while back. I can't even use the damn thing because I can't figure out how to put the cassette tape in. I like America, just as everybody else does. I love America, I gotta say that. But America will be judged. Even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked.

blindrabbit 1 year, 10 months ago

In most places yes, in Kansas not recessarily so. Reason being, is it really needed in a State that seems to be dumbing down as evidenced by the outcome of the recent state-wide elections and the makeup of the State School Board. I suggest a return to hieroglyphics or some other primative form of communication.

verity 1 year, 10 months ago

Why is this even an issue? How dumb are they trying to dumb us down to? I mean, really, how hard is it to learn? Certainly much easier than learning another language. I suppose soon it will be a requirement to only know American English and we'll have our brains wiped if we know another language.

somedude20 1 year, 10 months ago

How about this for a question: How can the city ticket cars on Veterans Day when holidays and Sundays are free? The answer my friends is like peeing in the wind.....

The back of the meters says something about a "city holiday" but does not list those days, so either you feed the meter or get a ticket, win win for them. I can't believe that the city does not respect Veteran's Day.... can you imagine what some Vet who has injuries from war must have thought when he/she got a stupid ticket on Veterans's Day?

"Bout time for fluxie to complain that I'm not staying on topic . . . . by making a post that is not on topic.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 10 months ago

Say, Roe, that reminds me, I have been meaning to ask, when someone in a movie holds a weapon in one hand and sideways, how would that work out in real life? And, when does the dot stand for when they talk about weapons, as in 30.06? What does all that mean?

Thanks.

Not very well frankie8. Shooting a handgun (right handed) in in that fashion, recoil would cause the bullet to go left of target.

There are a few different ways that caliber can be read. In the case of 30.06, the "30" is the caliber, the "06" is the year it was officially made a standard round. Some calibers have multiple designations. The .308 Winchester (30 caliber) is the civilian designation for the very similar (and basically interchangeable) 7.62mm x 51mm NATO round, commonly used in weapons like the Dillon Aero, M-60, M-14 and sniper rifles.

Elizabeth Stancliffe 1 year, 10 months ago

How are they going to function without electronic crutches if they can't write cursive?

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 10 months ago

You bet, it is soooo pretty when done in the right way, not hurried. Some of the ""KEYBOARD"' print is just not pretty. Me I sometimes combine both in same writting.

trinity 1 year, 10 months ago

Exactly; there are simply not enough Daryls to go around.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 10 months ago

I love Rednecks! Big trucks and big guns!

" when someone in a movie holds a weapon in one hand and sideways, how would that work out in real life?"

It doesn't. That's just for hip gangster wannabe's. There's no acccuracy and it looks idiotic. I've never even owned a firearm and I know that. But then you're talking about the same morons who use a Tech9. You might as well grab a handful of bullets and throw them in the air. I would still go with the pistol grip pump. Roe sent me a nice pic of a shorty but I lost it. The brother knows his guns.

Here you go Eddie! We Rednecks may have big trucks and big guns, but I identify best with this one. It's called the "Super Shorty".

asixbury 1 year, 10 months ago

Be careful with those pistol grips...my dad shot out his teeth (good thing they're dentures) shooting at butterflies. The recoil is pretty strong. You can't hold it with one hand without hurting yourself and the gun flying over your head.

blindrabbit 1 year, 10 months ago

And it's probably a violation of ATF regulations. Something about a shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches.

Nope! Not if you pay your $200 fee and pass a FBI background check.

gphawk89 1 year, 10 months ago

So how short does something like this need to be to simply be considered a "handgun"? Obviously there is at least one "short barrel shotgun" that's already legal (Taurus Judge).

paisley 1 year, 10 months ago

I always thought it was kind of fun to practice cursive. Then later on, it was even more fun to stylize my signature. I think our schools should concentrate on spelling also.

$200 fee? This rent a cop guy I knew a few years ago was gonna get me a pistol grip pump, standard length, for $400. Unregistered. In my current situation I'd be looking at 24 months in the joint for even having a firearm in my house.

Does anyone know what "cfnm" stands for? It doesn't have anything to do with guns.

Bill Lee 1 year, 10 months ago

Not only is cursive useful in signatures, but it looks better than block printing does. If you don't like how your cursive writing looks, PRACTICE!!!

"Ask Autie. He was doing that this morning."

What a horrible thought. Thank you, BoB. I can always count on you to make me laugh til I'm drooling.

lunacydetector 1 year, 10 months ago

it's very important and was one of the first things taught to my grandchildren in montessori school. it involves hand/eye coordination, is artistic and flowing, -much easier than print.

however, the public school teachers seem to have major problems teaching cursive for some reason.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.