Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Have you ever watched a boxing match live or on television?

Comments

Klumma 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, back in the day. Then as a juvenile in the square. I still train between smokes. Ali is my hero, although I could probably take him, south paw with a cigarette in my hand today. - Joke.

Honestly Ali, hell, he would kill me and if he didn't his daughter would. - I love that man!

That man, Ali, is a great American Icon and hero. A man with class as well.

“No, I’d rather watch a sitcom or a movie.” . . . . . .

Of course. I understand. There should be no brutality in life. Let me suggest a mildly warm wax body rub for our sensitive side.....

Sorry, dude. Pretty Weak.....Good news. I do not kill dogs.

FloridaSunshine 2 years, 1 month ago

Must all you witless DUDES call each other "dude"?..it's REALLY getting old...and boxing is as asinine as "entertainment" can get. "Oh", you retort, "but it's SO much fun to see one person damage the brain of another." I say, "What a pathetic excuse for a so-called sport."

Your comments aimed at Jonathan show how pitiful you really are, Klumma. Perhaps you used to box?

labmonkey 2 years, 1 month ago

I would now rather watch the lighter weights than heavyweights because it seems they actually know how to box instead of throwing one punch and hugging each other.

Mike Tyson fights from before the time he fired Rooney were a sight... he was a beast back in the day.

Joe Hyde 2 years, 1 month ago

He sure was! Some heavyweights (Ali foremost) have been able to throw high speed combinations, and all heavyweights can throw bombs. Mike Tyson not only had an excellent left jab but he threw bombs in high speed combinations. Most devastating fighter I ever saw. I think even the great Ali, who excelled in attacking while backpedalling, would have been in serious trouble against Tyson.

I was just a kid when he was in his heydey so I usually just thought of him as someone who would knock someone out in less than 1 min... then a few years ago, I watched one of his fights from the 80's in ESPN Classic and I was suprised that he knew how to box, and box well technique wise. He would have been the GOAT if he would have stayed with Rooney and stayed the hell away from Don King.

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

I used to think I was a hell of a fighter . . . until I got into one hell of a fight.

Is this like a sound off question sent in by BABBOY?

Back in the day my dad would rush home from work, eat supper and get his chores done so we could sit down in front of the black and white Philco TV and watch the "Gillette Friday Night Fights"

Bill Lee 2 years, 1 month ago

When boxing was a regular feature on network television, I think more people knew who the boxers were. That increased interest. I can't name one current fighter so have no interest in watching their matches.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 2 years, 1 month ago

I watched a boxing glove fly towards my head once. I don't really think I could say it was a fight, though.

Thank you, LJW. Now I know that people who hug dogs, apparently do not watch fights.

My gosh!! What is your PROBLEM?? You and Klumma should get together and have dinner...or something...

You could always just beat the living heck out of each other...for the fun of it...

Dude, just unbunch your underwear and relax.

labmonkey...if you're talking to me, last time I checked, I'm definitely not a dude. And don't tell me what to do with my underwear. As for being relaxed, I'm mellow, fellow!!

FloridaSunshine, I assure you that my only goal was to make a lame joke referencing the two lower pictures with people holding their pups. I was merely trying to create a giggle or two. I'm not sure why you took such offense, but have a good day!

Sure you were. I've been having a great day, btw.

Apparently you're having a hard time believing the truth, in this instance. I'm content to let you dwell in your chosen reality. Have an absolutely awesome weekend.

LadyJ 2 years, 1 month ago

Made the mistake of sitting next to my husband while he was watching boxing once, never again. He really gets into it and starts throwing swings, if you're too close you might get punched.

You weak a$$ dudes are all a bunch of loosers. I killed a dog once. It was trying to kill my dog. Flip the bunch of you. I'm outa here.

http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/movie_sounds/sounds_files_20100522_76672091/terminator_1/be_back.wav

g_rock...for all you know, I may already be in Colorado. I love Colorado! Seriously. And I'll chill or not chill as I choose...it certainly won't be because you have suggested it, g_rock. In fact, I like a nice, cold (i.e., chill, chilly, or very chilly) Colorado evening in front of a fireplace just gettin' toasty warm and cozy, favorite glass of wine, fine music going on...yeah, I do love Colorado. :~)

Eddie_Haskell 2 years, 1 month ago

"When boxing was a regular feature on network television, I think more people knew who the boxers were. That increased interest. I can't name one current fighter so have no interest in watching their matches."

Welcome back, Lee. A kindred spirit. I have a framed souvenir boxing magazine on my wall from Ali-Spinks II. Inside the cover is a score sheet. I actually scored the fight while watching it on network TV. Those days are gone and boxing is gone. It will always be my all-time favorite spectator sport. Boxing is a metaphor for life. Miles was a huge fan and used a lot of boxing principles in his writing.

Violent? Watch an NFL game sometime or research the concussion stats of players that end up crippled and demented by the time they're 50. Boxing is a thinking man's sport. Rumble in the Jungle. Talk about David and Goliath. Ali out-foxed Foreman, and he psyched out fighters like Sonny Liston and Joe Frazier, probably the Greatest next to Ali.

I agree Tyson had the physical potential to be indestructable. His fights were mind-blowing until he fired Kevin Rooney and anyone who really cared about him. But he was mentally unstable, undisciplined, and gutter-minded.

MMA and this Extreme Fighting Gracie family crap interests me about as much as a Sporting KC Girls Volleyball match. Kimbo Slice. Real tough guy in someone's back yard. But put him in a ring with some rules and he's worthless.

Recommended viewing: When We Were Kings, Facing Ali, and any good boxing matches or footage between 1920-1980.

emceelean 2 years, 1 month ago

"...any good boxing matches or footage between 1920-1980."

No love for Hagler, Hearns, Duran or Leonard. Those are some of my favorite fighters and they all fought in the same era.

"I am pretty strong, but I am fat and big and was only lean when I played football. My buddy is still lean and had to be to do the MMA."

I think once, when I was about 15, I thought it was really important to be a tough guy. That was a while ago.

If I could have been at only one Fight, it would have been Ali-Frazier III, the Thrilla in Manila. I have never seen a greater show of intestinal fortitude in my life. As Ali said, "That's the closest I've ever come to dying." After round 10, Ali was going to quit, but trainer Drew "Bundini" Brown told him to "go to the well one more time". Before the final round, both of Frazier's eyes were swollen shut and trainer Eddie Futch stopped the fight to save him from permanent damage. Frazier did not speak to Futch for decades after that. Little did they know that at that same moment Ali told his corner to cut his gloves off. He wasn't coming out for round 15.

'nuff said. Eddie's description of the insanity is all we need. Thanks, Eddie.

beatrice 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes, but we are still waiting for the judges from Florida to show their score.

big_john 2 years, 1 month ago

If i was to want to watch fighting. I would go to a hockey game.

rockchalker52 2 years, 1 month ago

Used to love watching the Friday Night Fights that Roe mentioned. Never saw one in person unless you count that time in junior high after school when we all gathered to watch Dennis J. pound the crap outa Richard H. Dude was little but he was quick.

Rockchalker. Dude, I used to watch those dudes on Friday Night Fights too. Never saw that dude Dennis J but sounds like he was a bad dude. A dude who is quick most always has the advantage over a larger, slower dude. Some dudes look like a lady. I think those are the pedofile dudes that flock to Florida to prey on young dudes. Those are some sick dudes.

Hey, yep. that was a baited statement from me and you took it. Same reply that I would have given. ROCK ON!!

Boxing has turned into the WWE.... the outcomes are predetermined. I seen that with the Lewis-Klitchsko fight. Klitchsko fought for four rounds with a major cut above his eye, but everyone watching could see that he was beating Lewis. They called the fight in the sixth round for Lewis due to Klitchsko's eye... even though he got the cut in the second round Lewis was gassed and done for and would have probably gone down within one more round. Lewis overlooked Klitchsko... normally he had a cut physique, but this fight, he gained like 15 lbs and no longer had a six-pack... overlooking a 6'7" Ukranian was not the smartest thing to do.

Crooked Boxing? What else is new? Manny Pacquiao got screwed over last summer in a loss that I'm sure Floyd "The Mouthy Coward" Mayweather had something to do with. I like that Tom Petty song, but Sonny Liston never "went down swinging". He layed down at the end of Ali-Liston II because he was scared of Ali and more likely because some big fat guy named Louie Fingers told him to. Liston was a known Mafia puppet. It was also known that he had a major phobia of needles, yet when they found him dead in a motel room OD'd on smack he still had the needle in his arm. Hmm.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.