Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Have you ever watched a boxing match live or on television?

Comments

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 5 months ago

Crooked Boxing? What else is new? Manny Pacquiao got screwed over last summer in a loss that I'm sure Floyd "The Mouthy Coward" Mayweather had something to do with. I like that Tom Petty song, but Sonny Liston never "went down swinging". He layed down at the end of Ali-Liston II because he was scared of Ali and more likely because some big fat guy named Louie Fingers told him to. Liston was a known Mafia puppet. It was also known that he had a major phobia of needles, yet when they found him dead in a motel room OD'd on smack he still had the needle in his arm. Hmm.

labmonkey 1 year, 5 months ago

Boxing has turned into the WWE.... the outcomes are predetermined. I seen that with the Lewis-Klitchsko fight. Klitchsko fought for four rounds with a major cut above his eye, but everyone watching could see that he was beating Lewis. They called the fight in the sixth round for Lewis due to Klitchsko's eye... even though he got the cut in the second round Lewis was gassed and done for and would have probably gone down within one more round. Lewis overlooked Klitchsko... normally he had a cut physique, but this fight, he gained like 15 lbs and no longer had a six-pack... overlooking a 6'7" Ukranian was not the smartest thing to do.

alcoholbliss 1 year, 5 months ago

Not in a long, long, time...Bring back ear bitting, and I'll watch.

I think MMA, Mixed Martial Arts has gained more in popularity.

Bouts are fought at a faster pace

Wider methods of achieving victory—i.e., knockout, submission, decision

Shorter fight length

Klumma 1 year, 5 months ago

Rockchalker. Dude, I used to watch those dudes on Friday Night Fights too. Never saw that dude Dennis J but sounds like he was a bad dude. A dude who is quick most always has the advantage over a larger, slower dude. Some dudes look like a lady. I think those are the pedofile dudes that flock to Florida to prey on young dudes. Those are some sick dudes.

rockchalker52 1 year, 5 months ago

Used to love watching the Friday Night Fights that Roe mentioned. Never saw one in person unless you count that time in junior high after school when we all gathered to watch Dennis J. pound the crap outa Richard H. Dude was little but he was quick.

big_john 1 year, 5 months ago

If i was to want to watch fighting. I would go to a hockey game.

My_Life 1 year, 5 months ago

Boxing is barbaric and uncivilized.

beatrice 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes, but we are still waiting for the judges from Florida to show their score.

If I could have been at only one Fight, it would have been Ali-Frazier III, the Thrilla in Manila. I have never seen a greater show of intestinal fortitude in my life. As Ali said, "That's the closest I've ever come to dying." After round 10, Ali was going to quit, but trainer Drew "Bundini" Brown told him to "go to the well one more time". Before the final round, both of Frazier's eyes were swollen shut and trainer Eddie Futch stopped the fight to save him from permanent damage. Frazier did not speak to Futch for decades after that. Little did they know that at that same moment Ali told his corner to cut his gloves off. He wasn't coming out for round 15.

"I am pretty strong, but I am fat and big and was only lean when I played football. My buddy is still lean and had to be to do the MMA."

I think once, when I was about 15, I thought it was really important to be a tough guy. That was a while ago.

"When boxing was a regular feature on network television, I think more people knew who the boxers were. That increased interest. I can't name one current fighter so have no interest in watching their matches."

Welcome back, Lee. A kindred spirit. I have a framed souvenir boxing magazine on my wall from Ali-Spinks II. Inside the cover is a score sheet. I actually scored the fight while watching it on network TV. Those days are gone and boxing is gone. It will always be my all-time favorite spectator sport. Boxing is a metaphor for life. Miles was a huge fan and used a lot of boxing principles in his writing.

Violent? Watch an NFL game sometime or research the concussion stats of players that end up crippled and demented by the time they're 50. Boxing is a thinking man's sport. Rumble in the Jungle. Talk about David and Goliath. Ali out-foxed Foreman, and he psyched out fighters like Sonny Liston and Joe Frazier, probably the Greatest next to Ali.

I agree Tyson had the physical potential to be indestructable. His fights were mind-blowing until he fired Kevin Rooney and anyone who really cared about him. But he was mentally unstable, undisciplined, and gutter-minded.

MMA and this Extreme Fighting Gracie family crap interests me about as much as a Sporting KC Girls Volleyball match. Kimbo Slice. Real tough guy in someone's back yard. But put him in a ring with some rules and he's worthless.

Recommended viewing: When We Were Kings, Facing Ali, and any good boxing matches or footage between 1920-1980.

prospector 1 year, 5 months ago

I like them over easy so much better than scrambled.

Hell, I have been hit by bigger boys than BAB. Yes, you do see stars.

g_rock 1 year, 5 months ago

Oh and Ms. Sunshine need to chill. Or move to Colorado. Seriously.

Oh and I'm steering clear of the BAB now....

RoeDapple 1 year, 5 months ago

You weak a$$ dudes are all a bunch of loosers. I killed a dog once. It was trying to kill my dog. Flip the bunch of you. I'm outa here.

http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/movie_sounds/sounds_files_20100522_76672091/terminator_1/be_back.wav

Not really. Although my grandma was really into wrestling and roller derby when I was a kid.

LadyJ 1 year, 5 months ago

Made the mistake of sitting next to my husband while he was watching boxing once, never again. He really gets into it and starts throwing swings, if you're too close you might get punched.

BABBOY 1 year, 5 months ago

I have gone to quite a few.

My best friend (more crazy then BAB which I like) is a retired MMA fighter. He started MMA in his 40s after pretty much being good in any sport he ever tried including a stint in pro baseball. He fought for like five years or so.

I am pretty strong, but I am fat and big and was only lean when I played football. My buddy is still lean and had to be to do the MMA.

In terms of lifting, I think I can beat him on straight out bench press with a bar and I hope he is reading this post. But, I saw him once pick 150 pound dumbbells (that 150in each hand) walk over effortlessly to an decline bench (they are awkward) set on it without a spotter and fire off 8 or 10 reps (also without a spotter).

I do not know many guys including myself with forearms strong enough to lift the dumbbells walk around like he did and position himself on such an awkward bench without a spotter to pull that one off. The reps themselves were no big deal but to get on that bench like he was carrying nothing was impressive.

But, anyway, when you go to local MMA events you also watch boxing. Boxing is more technical but it drags on to long so the MMA is more preferable (but more violent) because it moves along faster….

JJE007 1 year, 5 months ago

Thank you, LJW. Now I know that people who hug dogs, apparently do not watch fights.

JJE007 1 year, 5 months ago

I watched a boxing glove fly towards my head once. I don't really think I could say it was a fight, though.

autie 1 year, 5 months ago

Watch? That one time I told Momma what I wasn't going to do on Saturday and I was there man. It took her two and half rounds to knock my ass out that time. Then when I came to, I got up went and finished the dishes.

tange 1 year, 5 months ago

"When I was a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, I boxed as a child; but when I became a man I put away childish things."

Bill Lee 1 year, 5 months ago

When boxing was a regular feature on network television, I think more people knew who the boxers were. That increased interest. I can't name one current fighter so have no interest in watching their matches.

Back in the day my dad would rush home from work, eat supper and get his chores done so we could sit down in front of the black and white Philco TV and watch the "Gillette Friday Night Fights"

Is this like a sound off question sent in by BABBOY?

I used to think I was a hell of a fighter . . . until I got into one hell of a fight.

labmonkey 1 year, 5 months ago

I would now rather watch the lighter weights than heavyweights because it seems they actually know how to box instead of throwing one punch and hugging each other.

Mike Tyson fights from before the time he fired Rooney were a sight... he was a beast back in the day.

Andini 1 year, 5 months ago

I actually prefer the gentlemans sport of bare knuckle boxing.

“No, I’d rather watch a sitcom or a movie.” . . . . . .

Of course. I understand. There should be no brutality in life. Let me suggest a mildly warm wax body rub for our sensitive side.....

Sorry, dude. Pretty Weak.....Good news. I do not kill dogs.

Yeah, back in the day. Then as a juvenile in the square. I still train between smokes. Ali is my hero, although I could probably take him, south paw with a cigarette in my hand today. - Joke.

Honestly Ali, hell, he would kill me and if he didn't his daughter would. - I love that man!

That man, Ali, is a great American Icon and hero. A man with class as well.

Andini 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes but I prefer womens mud wrestling.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.