Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On What’s one of your favorite childhood memories of doing something with your parents?

Comments

tange 1 year, 5 months ago

Oddly (as I read the question) just a simple memory of my brother and me barging into my parents' bedroom on a Saturday morning... just everyone being there.

Gandalf 1 year, 5 months ago

Sitting on a blanket, eating popcorn, watching the Creature from the Black Lagoon. It was being shown on the wall of the firehouse in Wellsville.

PS

Almost forgot to include my Mom's gooseberry pie!! Yum!!!

Termcd4 1 year, 5 months ago

Going camping all over the US with my parents

Paul R Getto 1 year, 5 months ago

Long car rides. Eating the PBJS, carrot sticks, celery sticks, apples, etc. as we zoom by places to eat. "Gotta get there," Dad says. "Don't waste money on restaurants," Mom says and we drive on. Bless you both; you were perfect parents.

SOS 1 year, 5 months ago

Going on camping trips to about every part of the country and sleeping in the back window of the '59 Chevy rolling down the highway. No motels. No soda pop. No DQ.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 5 months ago

How in the hell could you delete a post by misterlee?! He's about the only one who takes your stupid questions seriously. I've never even seen a hint of sarcasm in his comments.

Sarah St. John 1 year, 5 months ago

Oh, where to start?! Boats -- we lived on a South Jersey barrier island; our house was on the "back bay" and we were in and out of our boats all summer long. Dad teaching us all how to sail. Very big (blended) family -- lots of road trips. Spending time in Florida before it was so built-up. Christmas and other holidays, as well as just regular times at home; going ice-skating, going out for ice cream, spending the day on the beach. (Actually we still do that last one whenever I manage the 1500-mile trip.) Dad letting us help out in his home office. Singing and making music with my mom and my sisters. Of course it wasn't all idyllic and we had our share of fights, but I'd sure love to go back for day of being about 10 years old.....

Bill Lee 1 year, 5 months ago

WHY WAS MY POST DELETED? I SPENT A LOT OF TIME ON IT. WAS IT BECAUSE I ADDED A PHOTO? I NOTICE NONE OF THE OTHER POSTS INCLUDE ONE.

CWGOKU 1 year, 5 months ago

Visiting them in re-hab. Kodak moments

rockchalker52 1 year, 5 months ago

The great fambly vacation of '64. Two weeks of seein' the sights in the great western USA. Pops behind the wheel of his shiny red '62 Newport got us to Califunny & back & all kinds of places in between.

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 5 months ago

Settig in the woods waiting for a squirrel to show up, made you learn how to sit still, well maybe not sit very long without wiggling around on the ground or log you were purched on----

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 5 months ago

Bong hits with the folks before church.

FloridaSunshine 1 year, 5 months ago

Ron...I love your story! Being from Florida, I forget that people from the "mid" states sometimes never get to see either ocean! Plus, we have the beautiful Gulf, which is my favorite "side" of Florida. The white, sugar-like sand makes the Gulf Coast a winner over the East Coast dark sand...I do not like the thick, dark sand of the East Coast.
However, the water of the Atlantic can be beautiful hues of all sorts of blue and aqua as one heads south from Daytona Beach...closer to the Miami area. I'll never forget our first trip to Miami Beach and being amazed at the aqua-colored water.

I love the fact that you'll never forget the moment you saw the Pacific...do you remember smelling the salt water? The Pacific, to me, seems so wild and unruly compared to the Atlantic. There are pluses for both. I'm just a water-baby at heart...whether it's the ocean, a river, a lake, or a gentle stream flowing through my beloved woods in the mountains. I adore it all...!!! My favorite memories from childhood, however, have to do with the bi-annual road trips we would take from Florida to my uncle's home in the woods of North Carolina...and the anticipation of seeing our cousins. My siblings would be piled up in the back seat to sleep (my dad preferred driving at night and we knew nothing of seat belts!)...but I always sat in the front seat with Mother and Dad so I could monopolize the radio! ha! My siblings didn't seem to mind, so there I stayed between Mother and Dad. Very precious memories!!

tomatogrower 1 year, 5 months ago

Going to the drive in movies and standing in line at the Dairy Queen.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 5 months ago

The whole family was in the car, my parents and the three of us kids. The year was 1966, and I was the oldest kid, 12 years old. None of us had ever been to the west coast before. The highway crested the mountain towards Crescent City, California, and then we could see the Pacific Ocean in the distance.

That was the first time any of us had seen the ocean, and I will never forget that moment.

RoeDapple 1 year, 5 months ago

My sister DID get thrown from a passenger train when she was about a year old. I had nothing to do with it. My mother said the train had hit a fuel truck and was covered with burning gasoline so she did it to save my sister. What ticks me off is she was expecting me at the time. How come she didn't jump off the train to save me? Anyway, the gasoline burned off quickly and was pretty much out before the firetruck got there. Yep, big sis got all the attention that time too. That and a scar from the fall.

Ah, then you obviously haven't been whacked repeatedly on the back of your 6 month old head with a glass baby bottle by your 2 year old sister. I have however outlived her (so far) by 9 years.

autie 1 year, 5 months ago

Oh Roe, sisters ain't so bad. Ain't never had one toss me out of the car into the river before either.

Sisters are treacherous beasts.

Dumpster diving, sleeping in abandoned cars and shopping for seasonal apparel on strangers clothes lines.

The Gunpowder Treason and plot. Is it Guy Fawks Day?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 5 months ago

Having ice cream after visiting a multi floor department store and my sister opening the car door and pushing me out as we were driving over a bridge.

Going to Canada to evade the draft...no, wait, we went fishin and I wasn't old enough for the draft. You could have filled a pick up with all the northerns and lake trout I caught.

Benjamin Roberts 1 year, 5 months ago

My childhood is my favorite childhood memory. A ma and pa business with rug rats. My biggest regret is that I couldn't provide that same type of experience for my kids.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.