Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Are there any advancements you’d like to see the country make in the next century?

Comments

Klumma 1 year, 10 months ago

R...U..Serious? This question would be better for the "Sound Off" morons.

BTW...Somehow LJW just violated its own user agreement. Umm..Where in this stupid question was anything posed about gay marriage or feminism? Seems the respondents were either baited with the wrong question posed or someone at LJW screwed the pooch on this one. Imagine that. . . .

Now. I am going to get back to watching Smokey and the Bandit. Have not seen it for 30+years and am reminded of some good ole' music.

The Original Hick Cheese guy. Laugh included.

Sorry, Burt. But it is so easy. . . . .

In the next century, 2112, I think our wishes will be a moot point. . . . .However, Buck Rogers might be cool. Otherwise, maybe we should start with hopes of the next decade.?.?.....

Temps writing for LJW again??

Bill Lee 1 year, 9 months ago

I'd like all cars to have the headlights on whenever the engine is running. Most GM models have this feature already, and it would increase the visibility of cars approaching me from the front or sides.

sheidrickman 1 year, 9 months ago

I'd like to see folks learn how to use their turn signals.

Caz Snwot 1 year, 9 months ago

karen corl... w....t..........f.....................

geekin_topekan 1 year, 9 months ago

Karen, that is the greatest response I have ever read from OTS!! Not that I agree with you, but it is one for the record books for sure.

BTW, when did Babysitters decide to call themselves Nannies?

chootspa 1 year, 9 months ago

In the 19th Century? Just like her attitude.

grammaddy 1 year, 9 months ago

Less freedom for women? Are you kidding me?I'm sure Romney can find a place for you. if not there;s always the Middle East.

tomatogrower 1 year, 9 months ago

She'll find a place in his binder.

amazonratz 1 year, 9 months ago

Depending on their views, Karen may just find herself out of a nannying job. I wouldn't want her influencing my children.

Cynthia Schott 1 year, 9 months ago

Wow, Karen. I guess it's okay that women from all over the world have suffered from inequality, but wow, we don't want to cause any harm to the man. Wow, just Wow.

pea 1 year, 9 months ago

Karen: woman are valuable and capable and deserve to be a part of this world. Someone lied to you.

“ I think women suffrage and feminism has moved too far and now emasculates men, and that’s wrong. Less freedom for women would not be a bad thing. That sounds odd coming from a woman.” — Karen Corl, nanny, Gardner

Really? Did you ever think that a man who could be emasculated by a strong woman maybe wasn't much of a man? Go put on your niqab and move to the middle east. There are "manly" men there.

rockchalker52 1 year, 9 months ago

Advancements?! Why, technologically speaking 'everything that can be invented has already been invented.' - patent commish, Charles H. Duell in 1899, although he may have gotten a bum rap.

'There is nothing new under the sun, all has been done. What is new will become old & what is old will become new again.' - Some dude named King Solomon. Runs a fashion house in NY, I think.

Armstrong 1 year, 9 months ago

To defeat and abolish liberalism nationwide.

jafs 1 year, 9 months ago

I believe he really wants to do just what he says there, don't you?

You are correct. I think liberalism is an outdated and failed philosophy used by those who have no interest in bettering themselves or others

Noted and source taken into account

You make a lot of assumptions

Striving for the day when all readers' blogs across this great...uh, LJWorld nation?...are no longer relegated to second page status. Free the Blogs!

verity 1 year, 9 months ago

It'll take more than five minutes.

Women should have less freedom so men will not be emasculated? ? ?

Will somebody please explain the connection here? My freedom emasculates men?

There's no logical connection.

However, for some men, apparently they feel more manly if women have less freedom and equality - I'd guess their sense of masculinity is connected to control and dominance.

An interesting thought - freedom means the ability to choose, so if some women prefer to choose more traditional lifestyles, they can do that as well, if they like.

However, in the past, that wasn't a choice, it was their only possibility.

"However, for some men, apparently they feel more manly if women have less freedom and equality - I'd guess their sense of masculinity is connected to control and dominance."

This is the man's problems, not a woman's problem. They need to liberate themselves. If this woman wants to limit her freedom, then she can, but she better leave mine alone.

I wonder why you post that in response to my post.

Do you think I disagree with you, or that anything I said in it suggests that?

If that is all it takes---

Many Christians believe that because one Wiccan soldier was allowed to put his pentagram on his grave in a military cemetery, then crosses have been banned in military cemeteries, and Christian's freedoms are under attack.

And people say happy holidays now out of respect for all the holidays happening at the end of December, so obviously this limits Christian's freedom of worship. Twisted logic based on lies, but still way too prevalent.

And some who are heterosexual think that if you allow gays to marry, then they will be forced to divorce their spouse and marry someone of the same sex.

All of which is faulty logic based on lies.

This response was for Verity's post, not the conversation with jafs. We'll blame it on the time change. It messes everything up.

So, you're saying we need more critical thinking skills? Didn't Texas outlaw that or something?

I'll add that to my list of advancements I'd like to see: Critical Thinking for everybody.

Tomato 1 year, 9 months ago

When a woman votes, it cancels out a man's more important vote.

Kyle Neuer 1 year, 9 months ago

Fusion power and campaign finance reform.

Start going forward, instead of backward, to the future.

I will, if you quit chasing me---

She does look radiantly happy. He looks a little hesitant.

Less freedom for women also means less freedom for men---something that seems to often be overlooked. It's not like there is a limited amount that has to be divided among people.

brewmaster 1 year, 9 months ago

Oohhh !! I get it now... after noticing Karen's specific choice of words and the coy grin on their faces...it is a sly reference to a Master-Mistress BDSM thing. Carry on...

riverdrifter 1 year, 9 months ago

Hey, you just may be on to something here.

EJ Mulligan 1 year, 9 months ago

Karen, you have succeeded in making me choke on my cornflakes while reading the paper. Wow.

What's the feminine form of the word "emasculated"? Efeminized? Efeminated? Spellcheck doesn't like either one. New word? Eat your heart out, Colbert!

sherbert 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm all for equal rights, but if gay marriage is the most important things for these young people, we're in trouble. How about a total over hall of all government programs. We need to get our country back on track and the government needs to do some major house cleaning.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 9 months ago

I'd like to see less firebugs in the Redbud District. I may end up living there.

Remember in 1981 Christine Craft was fired from KMBZ for being 'too old, too ugly & not deferential to men?' Times have changed. There are ugly old broads all over the airwaves now.

grammaddy 1 year, 9 months ago

Less Monsanto and more wind and solar power.

I met Les at a party once in the 80's. He wasn't talkin' wind & solar then, either, but he was full of hot air.

I remember that. Phil McCracken and Sharon Peters were there, too.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 9 months ago

If only it were that easy. That is, is I am understanding you. It is what Helen, in The Day The Earth Stood Still, was supposed to say to the robot to keep him from destroying the earth. Confused I am.

Missingit 1 year, 9 months ago

I would like a viable 3rd party option to vote for. I don't want to give all my money to the rich or the poor.

kernal 1 year, 9 months ago

Unless one has a degree or extensive training in childhood development, first aid, etc., then that person is a babysitter, not a Nanny.

Kind of like a janitor referring to himself as a Sanitary Engineer, which is insulting to those who actually have a four year degree in Sanitary Engineering.

sheidrickman 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes, our right to vote and our feminism has gone too far! We're turning men into sad little pandas. What a ridiculous thing to say.

beatrice 1 year, 9 months ago

End of organized religions.

Widespread use of renewable energy sources.

Karen, any man who is emasculated by a woman's freedom is no real man. You also are not required to practice any of the freedoms you are granted -- stay home, don't vote, don't drive, don't think for yourself if you wish. To believe one group of people should be stripped of their freedoms just to make another group feel better about themselves, however, is just foolish.

I hope the men in your life allow you to read these comments.

I'd rather travel backward in time so I could hang out with Bea at Day on the Green in Oakland in 1977. Skynard AND Zepplin? Sickening.....

Well, they were two different Days on the Green. Did I mention that Judas Priest opened for Zeppelin, along with Rick "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo" Derringer? Good times.

When I was in grade school they said we were gonna have these futuristic telephones with a video monitor where you could see the person on the other end. I was looking forward to calling my 5th grade teacher so I could maybe see her naked. It's probably too late now.

Oh. That seems a little messy.

Katara 1 year, 9 months ago

Maybe they put them into a ziploc baggie and then put them into their purse? I wonder if they use those organizer thingies that are supposed to help you find stuff in your purse. You could have a testicle pocket set up for them.

Testicles not included.

Testicles not included. by Katara

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 9 months ago

Ms. Corl,

The great thing about America is that you can choose to reject your suffragette rights. In fact, I would encourage you to do just that. The country would be better off without you voting.

Also, feel free to be as submissive and deferential as you want to men, Just don't expect it from every woman.

I just realized I need a toilet tank to bowl repair kit.

Katara 1 year, 9 months ago

You are so right, Karen. Women need less freedom.

OMG! Look at how she is emasculating him!

OMG! Look at how she is emasculating him! by Katara

Is that what they call a "camel tow"?

Tomato 1 year, 9 months ago

The best thing about this is that the LjWorld seems to archive On the Streets forever and ever. Ten years after I was featured in one, it is one of the few things that show up when I Google myself.

Karen has immortalized herself in this moment.

Karen, why are you answering this question? There is a man next to you, so shut your pie hole and let him speak! What are you, some kind of feminist who thinks she is allowed her own opinions?

Romney / Karen 2012

KSWingman 1 year, 9 months ago

I want to live long enough to enjoy advances in genetic engineering, that will result in bourbon trees (like maple trees, but fine bourbon comes out when you tap them) and tobacco plants that roll the leaves into cigars fresh for picking.

Truly renewable resources!

I'd like to have that replicator thingy from the Star Trek series to transform matter into the meal of my choice & then visit the Holo-Deck for some fantasy kicks.

booyalab 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say there are some ways that Karen could be right......particularly where the saying "your freedom ends where my nose begins" is applicable. Abortion, sex discrimination lawsuits, and publicly funded birth control are a few examples where the "rights" of women have come at the cost of others' liberties.

jonas_opines 1 year, 9 months ago

A universal ignore feature would be cool.

But if not universal, just this site would be fine, too.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 9 months ago

Longer-lasting and cheaper popsicles so more people could relax and enjoy a cool and fruity treat any day of the year.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 9 months ago

Longing for the 12th Century, are you?

Jim Fisher 1 year, 9 months ago

If 75% think that is the greatest challenge, we are sunk. I expect a fourth to give an idiot answer, and was not disappointed

And when they were hungry, Jesus made 1000 fishing poles out of one twig, and he said unto the masses, "Now, you are on your own." Libertarian 12:17-19

I don't believe that is how the story goes.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 9 months ago

I think everyone is overreacting to Karen. The woman has the right to live any way she chooses to and I admire her for not only living according to her principles but being willing to state them in public instead of being mealy mouthed and sliding around it. I do believe that there are some women who delight in slapping down everyone, both men and women, as some men do. We are what we are. Live and let live is my motto. I am now going to have a cool and fruity glass of Ripple.

Redd Foxx

Redd Foxx by Frankie8

She can live any way she damn well pleases, she has that right, but that's not what she said.

"Less freedom for women would not be a bad thing." "Women"---that's sort of universal. We're still fighting for equality and she apparently wants less for all of us.

"Less freedom for women would not be a bad thing."

Klumma 1 year, 9 months ago

"Ah can bail hey an' thro hey with tha best ov'em"

What is the frequency, Karen?

Richard Heckler 1 year, 9 months ago

How about the bogus GOP leadership and the Chamber of Commerce at all levels of government be placed in jail.

The Chamber has become the chief money laundering contact for the right wing conservative party pretending to be the GOP.

JJE007 1 year, 9 months ago

Stop the arms, legs and empty heads race. It's time to seriously address world population control or embrace our (geologically speaking) spontaneous combustion.

In_God_we_trust 1 year, 9 months ago

Ban gay marriage, because it is a lifestyle that is totally destructive to society and the individual that engages in such behavior. Love the sinner, but hate the sin.

Also support inventions in Kansas of devices that produce over 100% electrical efficiency. This would replace solar panels in most cases and power our cars and trains and planes with no pollution. It could be used in many other ways such as medical devices that require power.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.