Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Would you be upset if your area post office closed?

Comments

Bill Lee 1 year, 12 months ago

Since I get my mail from a post office box, it would be a major inconvenience for me. It's also where the letter carriers get the mail they deliver to homes in Lawrence.,

Klumma 1 year, 12 months ago

Not one bit. Keep the carriers though. Andy T. ROCKS! Always has.

RoeDapple 1 year, 12 months ago

Well hell yes! But I've survived the demise of analog clocks, Morse code, Pony Express and wagon trains, the Post Office is just another dinosaur that is rapidly losing its usefulness. Kinda like newspapers.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 12 months ago

I still miss the Pony Express. Those ponies running full out was a glorious sight. They made good time and were 100% dependable. When I was a girl I wanted to be one of those riders. Alas, time moved on much too fast.

From yesterday. " RETICENT_IRREVERENT 21 hours, 14 minutes ago

"One of the main reasons it was instigated by the government was so farmers had longer daylight hours. At the time 90 percent of the population lived in rural areas." — Claire Webb

Wrong.

You better revise your revisionist history Claire. . . . . "

Damn R_I. You just gave both barrels. And I thought you were a tender guy. I know, being cut off from giving tenderness for a night can do that. I Love You.

It is the truth, hardly both barrels.

msezdsit 1 year, 12 months ago

“ We don’t use it really. We have the mail delivered.” says Gary

Well if your post office is closed how are you going to get your mail delivered?

msezdsit 1 year, 12 months ago

ups or fedex? Both ups and fedex use the us mail to deliver about 20% of their deliveries. Areas where it is not profitable for them to deliver mail. How will these people get mail if the Usps closes? The pony express?

deec 1 year, 12 months ago

Fedex and other carriers use the post office as the final leg of their delivery. If private carriers had to travel to all addresses themselves, prices would be outrageous. Already, sending a 1 oz document via Fedex costs over $10. The post office costs 45 cents.

Rural customers receive the same mail as urban customers-letters, cards, bills, ads, newspapers, magazines, gifts, online purchases, etc.

Privatization has not saved money when used for other formerly public services like prisons, military support services, child protection services or the like. I'm really tired of the myth of cost-cutting through privatization.

The post office receives NO money from taxes and is funded by their own revenue. The reason they are having a financial crisis is because the GOP Congress passed a bill requiring them to fund 75 years of health benefits. The bill was passed in December, 2005.

They wouldn't need a bailout if Congress hadn't mandated they pay healthcare benefits 75 years in the future, or if Congress would allow them to raise rates to cover their costs. The post office receives no tax money.

You get one Vision Card and you keep that until you no longer qualify or lose it. Not monthly. Most people get their Social Security and Pensions electronically transferred to their bank every month.

Where I live, many people also receive their daily newspapers by mail. Many get their prescription medications, because there is no local pharmacy. Fedex and UPS deliver parcels daily to the post office to be delivered to rural and in-town customers. A lot of older people in the area don't use computers. They rely on the mail and television for information. Greeting cards are still popular in rural Nebraska, and a lot of business is conducted by mail.

riverdrifter 1 year, 12 months ago

Just do away with Saturday delivery. Who cares? Keep the Mon-Fri mail moving over the weekend but that's it. No delivery on Sat. I go to the P.O. twice a week max and like O-Bob sez, it's mostly junk.

The post office tried to cut out Saturday delivery; Congress wouldn't let them.

"The Postal Service is currently required by Federal law to deliver mail six days a week in fiscal year 2010, but not beyond then. Implementation of a five-day delivery schedule in fiscal year 2011 would be contingent upon Congress not enacting legislation to prevent such a change. In addition, the Postal Service must file a request for a non-binding advisory opinion from the Postal Regulatory Commission. If the Postal Service implements five-day delivery, it would take effect in fiscal year 2011 (Oct. 1, 2010, to Sept. 30, 2011)."

http://about.usps.com/news/electronic-press-kits/five-day-delivery/gen-faqs-answers.htm

http://www.yorknewstimes.com/editorial/preserving-rural-mail-service/article_3eaee7dc-23dd-11e2-bbe7-0019bb2963f4.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/31/opinion/nocera-its-d-day-for-the-post-office.html?_r=0

" My_Life 2 hours, 9 minutes ago

My mailman leaves most of the neighborhood mail in my box. He expects me to deliver it from there. He can't read an address evidently."

Sounds like Karma, weirdo . . . Imagine that.

Deja Coffin 1 year, 12 months ago

Yes I would be sad our post office closed but I would LOVE for them to find a new post master... this substitute post master is a joke and not doing his job.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.