Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On How did you celebrate Halloween growing up?

Comments

Klumma 2 years, 1 month ago

Other than than the usual of getting candy and junk in our bags, my buddy and I would look for the best Jack-o-Lanterns in the neighborhood. The day after Halloween we would wait to see if any of these kept being lit. If one was, we would sneak up, put the candle out and take dump in it. Then ring the door bell and say "Trick or Treat"!

Most people were indignant that we were a day late and would want to turn us away. We then told them that that we were unaware of this since they had a Jack-o-Lantern that had just burned out and we thought it was a two day Holiday thing - like a weekend. We then waited from a well hidden place to see if they wanted to re-light the pumpkin...Much to their surprise.

Sorry. It was hilarious, though. And then we would follow up with a nice M-80 in so called Jack-o-Lantern and go back to the respective hiding spot - after ringing the door bell. And then, you know, BOOM!

I know. Was pretty stupid. But hey, if your neighbor was a cop and giving out confiscated M-80's/ Cherry Bombs in those days it was hard to resist.

Uhh...sorry for those that this happened to. :) - Happy Halloween!

MarcoPogo 2 years, 1 month ago

Sometimes it's not work if you enjoy what you do.

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 1 month ago

Grew up in the sticks, never heard of Holly Winnies

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 1 month ago

It would break my heart to find out you are just being sarcastic. Please give us more details such as where, when, why.

rockchalker52 2 years, 1 month ago

We used to take blogs from people & hide them from view.

That & I soaped a lot of car windows.

Eddie_Haskell 2 years, 1 month ago

"What is wrong with you Godless entitlement driven people?"

I anxiously await Craig Tucker's annual anti-religion Halloween rant Letter to the Editor.

paisley 2 years, 1 month ago

Just before Halloween, we would go to the local park where we made "lanterns". The park director woud glue and tape candles inside of this four sided construction paper and tissue paper creation. Then on Halloween, in full costume, we would parade through the neighborhood. After the lantern parade, we would go house to house but seldom to apartments unless we knew the people that lived there. What we actually did would be considered a fire hazard now and it was but, we were all very careful. This was back in the day when kids "listened" to adults and obeyed the "rules". It was great fun though.

I usually just went window peeping. But that's what I did most nights anyway.

Blah Blah East Coast. Oh, I forgot, NYC is there. Nothing else matters. Except Greenwich, CT. Anyway, things won't get really dire until Chris Christie sings his signature song, "Lightning Strikes". Artie, weren't you one of those people who complained about East Coast Lew? Make up your mind.

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

And . . . Hurricane Sandy has sunk the H.M.S Bounty. Two of the sixteen crew are missing.

somedude20 2 years, 1 month ago

I dressed as Stan and then seduced his girlfriend, Betty Childs, in a bouncy house while at college

Bill Lee 2 years, 1 month ago

Costumes and trick or treating. I'm old enough that we were offered and we accepted fresh fruit, homemade candy and treats in addition to candy from stores. Candy bars were full sized because "fun size" hadn't been invented. And, who came up with that name for those midget bars? I still give out full-sized bars. I always buy candy I like so I can eat the left overs. Sometimes I don't wait. I've only got two Russell Stover Mint Dreams left, and I doubt they'll still be here on Wednesday.

My brother used to come home with two shopping bags full of candy, and it usually lasted him into the following summer!

kernal 2 years, 1 month ago

I still have fond memories of the neighbors who would make popcorn balls, caramel apples, candied apples and chocolate cupcakes with orange icing for us. Only one neighbor made us do a trick every year. Since I never could come up with one, he'd make me sing loud enough to be heard. So mortifying. LOL.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.