Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Should a rumored burial site of Quantrill’s Raid victims at Ninth and New Hampshire streets be further investigated before a hotel is built there?

Comments

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 10 months ago

Nope. Quantril's Raid never happened.

Why is Lawrence so full of itself?

-Asked on the LJW OTS, October 25, 2012, 12:21am

lunacydetector 1 year, 10 months ago

who comes up with these rumors, the same guy who said clyde barrow may have robbed tellers?

fiddleback 1 year, 10 months ago

[strokes beard, raises eyebrow] As an engineer, I suggest that they mix whatever bone fragments they find into the concrete for added strength ....Now what's this Quantrill's Raid you all keep talking about? Oh, nevermind. This freight train's not going to drive itself...

LogicMan 1 year, 10 months ago

Do the excavation carefully and if any remains are found give them a more proper burial than a mass grave in a trench.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

When the bridge between Lawrence and Topeka was being built a skull was unearthed in the excavation process. A local asked the on scene engineer what he was going to do. With the toe of his boot he pushed it into the river and replied, "Do? About what?"

50YearResident 1 year, 10 months ago

Don't drag out construction over unfounded rumors. Even if bones are found, which I doubt, they couldn't be identified. Quantril's men had some casualties too and nobody knows who they were burried. All locals were properly buried. Don't turn this into another "Wetlands Fiasco".

corrections: Only one raider casualty: Larkin Skaggs.

And no, many locals weren't properly buried, but dumped in a mass grave at Oak Hill. It was late August-- the heat and amount of carnage meant prioritizing sanitation over dignified treatment of the dead. It wouldn't be at all surprising if some bodies didn't make it to Oak Hill and were buried various places. If they find bones, I wouldn't say delay the project, but it would be nice to finally give the remains some respect and a proper burial. Afterall, next August is the 150th anniversary.

rockchalker52 1 year, 10 months ago

Use 'em for art in the middle of the roundabout.

riverdrifter 1 year, 10 months ago

Southeast of Soldier. Glad to clear that up for you!

MISTERTibbs 1 year, 10 months ago

Haven't there been other structures on that property in the past?

I would find it hard to believe that any bodies buried on that site would be buried so deep that the previous buildings wouldn't have uncovered them.

MISTERTibbs 1 year, 10 months ago

Haven't there been other structures on that property in the past?

I would find it hard to believe that any bodies buried on that site would be buried so deep that the previous buildings wouldn't have uncovered them.

Larry Sturm 1 year, 10 months ago

It should be checked out ,if there is at least a marker should be placed there.

jonas_opines 1 year, 10 months ago

Jonathan's answer is awesome.

But you should investigate. Send Geraldo!

somedude20 1 year, 10 months ago

If life continues for thousands of years, we all will be built on. Bet the Romans, Greeks and cave persons never thought that they would be built upon...heck, the dinos never saw it coming.

"Why are we? Because we're here, roll the bones. "Why does it happen? Because it happens Roll the bones, roll the bones."

I really don't consider 150 years equivalent to ancient Greeks and Romans. These are the socially liberal founding families of the town, and without their imprint this area would be an even farther rightward backwater than it already is. Just because some don't find our founding history compelling doesn't mean that these people are nothing more than debris. On the contrary, I'd say their memory is a suitable moral rudder in the age of Brownback.

Glad you brought up that common misconception about drawing a straight line back to "the party of Lincoln". Yes, upon their founding, Republicans were obviously the more socially liberal party. Kansas and Nebraska have stuck with their 19th century affiliation through more elections than most any state, though when LBJ passed the Civil Rights Act in 1964, the Democrats became the party of racial equality. Despite the Act's development by several Republicans, the South retaliated against LBJ by becoming solidly Republican, giving birth to the modern Southern strategy. The parties essentially flipped, but again Kansas and Nebraska didn't seem to notice. In the end, just look at the way the South votes to determine which political legacy you're supporting.

Ronnie24 1 year, 10 months ago

Check for bones before digging up the ground for another hotel. It wouldn't take that much more time. Those that might be buried there deserve at least that much.

geekin_topekan 1 year, 10 months ago

Jonathan, Lawrence has been on the paranormal map for many moons. Ask any black Lawrence Lifer about the "hangin' tree", or check out Haskell and Stull. Lawrence is a Paranormal investigator's wdream.

MarcoPogo 1 year, 10 months ago

Let's see, there was already a damn gas station on that corner, as well as houses to the south, so it would seem that the proverbial dead horse is already out of the barn.

local_support 1 year, 10 months ago

This is the first time all of the OTS responses made me chuckle.

pablo94 1 year, 10 months ago

Normally, construction sites are not required to do exploratory investigations for bones, however if you discover them the normal process is to cease work, call the police, notify the owner, and call in the acheologist (usually name and number is on the civil drawings). It is prudent to do this as we do not as an industry want to destroy any artifacts or history that could be learned from the discovery. Often times once the investigation is complete the owner is required to relocate the bones to a differing burial ground.

In this case, if there are bones and the hotel has a underground parking garage the excavation will likely determine if they exist. Remains to be seen. And isn't Compton involved. Who cares if it costs his development team some money. The city is already paying more than they should in incentives anyway.

deec 1 year, 10 months ago

Remains to be seen? I see what you did there.

Noweigh 1 year, 10 months ago

thank god these weren't discovered at "the wetlands".

Do an appropriate, quick investigation for historical purposes, then proceed with building.

booyalab 1 year, 10 months ago

Somebody should do something

"But I would not rule out Jimmy Hoffa."

I highly recommend reading "I Heard You Paint Houses" by Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran. It's his deathbed confessional. Sheeran was Hoffa's right hand man and confidante. According to him, Hoffa was lured to a house in suburban Detroit for a "business" meeting. Once there, Sheeran put a bullet or two in the back of Hoffa's head. Typical Mafia hit. Hoffa's body was then taken to an area slaughter house an disposed of in the incinerator. So no, he's not buried under the stage at The Bird. The book also offers some insight into the JFK assassination. Great read.

MarcoPogo 1 year, 10 months ago

Richard Kuklinski claimed the same crime before he died. Check out "The Iceman: Confessions of a Mafia Killer". It seems like there are couple others as well...

Somedude said it for me. Even if Jack Wu thinks the earth is only 300 years old, we're all still standing on top of lots of dead bodies.

Right on, BoB. I've always found the idea of a funeral pyre appealing. I don't care if it's illegal. I bet Ronaldo can help me out on that. And if I were locked in a room with Sean Penn, Hitler, and Bin Laden and I only had 2 bullets, I'd shoot Sean Penn twice.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 10 months ago

They might find a buried bucket containing a buried foot.

1 year, 10 months ago

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

NotMeAgain 1 year, 10 months ago

You White People Crack Me Up!!!!

Ronaldo plays a mean Swiss Alpine Horn.

It's a little south of Corning.

CeeDub, Corning is just north of Havensville & northeast of Onaga which is pretty much straight south of Centralia, maybe a skosh to the west. If you're in the area don't forget to check out the scenic towns of Goff & Wetmore.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Hell autie, by the time you die I'll be face down in my Cheerios at RoeDy's House of Paranoia and Retirement Villa. I'll still do the honors though. Just show me the weapons and hide behind your cars.

msezdsit 1 year, 10 months ago

Should conduct at least a five year study.

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 10 months ago

If you haven't been to Circleville, head up to Holton (north of Topeka on 75 Highway) when you get to Holton turn west on highway 16, then turn north on highway 62, get up to legal speed and hang on, and also your tummy. I know this is west of Circleville , but it a fun trip.

gccs14r 1 year, 10 months ago

If there used to be a gas station there, maybe they should analyze soil samples for contamination. For bones, ground-penetrating radar might show those.

gccs14r 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh, and it sounds like Eric Bonet hasn't taken an ethics course. Maybe his advisor will see this and have a chat with him.

John Kyle 1 year, 10 months ago

Eric, you're the problem with engineers. "Show me the money!"

Commenting has been disabled for this item.