Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Do you usually vote along party lines or mix it up when you vote?

Comments

Wesley Willis 1 year, 10 months ago

Does voting for Roseanne count as mixing it up?

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Only the ballot knows . . . .

Caz Snwot 1 year, 10 months ago

party lines. Communist all the way.

iknowright 1 year, 10 months ago

she's like: "yes, autie, you pooped your pants. again."

tomatogrower 1 year, 10 months ago

I used to mix it up, but the Republicans have gotten too radical.

CreatureComforts 1 year, 10 months ago

I do thorough research on local, state and national candidates that I have the opportunity to vote for. I generally end up splitting my vote pretty much down the middle, with some third party thrown in, as my views vary greatly - on one topic I may be very much on the left, while on another I may be very much on the right. I do not have blanket views so I cannot vote just for a party...I vote for a candidate.

If someone says "I only vote Dem" or "I only vote Republican", I immediately start wondering if they have any idea who they are actually voting for or what they actually "say" they stand for.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 10 months ago

You got that right! A political party is not quite like a church where you may be considered a heretic if you believe differently. Some people may say they vote by party because they don't want to get into a long discussion about it.

1 year, 10 months ago

I generally vote Democrat at the local level, Republican at the state level, and third party at the national. Part of that's because I live in a Democratic area so most of the best locals tend to be Democrat. Part of that's because it's hard to find a party at the national level that does not enjoy lobbing bombs at other countries as soon as they find an excuse. But generally always has exceptions - I have a single Republican I'll be voting for this time around (state senate) and a single Democrat (state rep) and frankly I don't know how I'll vote the rest of the way.

rockchalker52 1 year, 10 months ago

You want paycheck? Vote the party line.

"I hope you make it very clear to your employees what you believe is in the best interest of your enterprise and therefore their job and their future in the upcoming elections," the GOP hopeful told a group of small business owners this summer on a conference call organized by the conservative-leaning National Federation of Independent Businesses.

"Nothing illegal about you talking to your employees about what you believe is best for the business, because I think that will figure into their election decision, their voting decision and of course doing that with your family and your kids as well."

He does 'Lean on Me' but 'He ain't Heavy, He's my (big) Brother.'

ohjayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I remember him! I'm a bit disappointed he didn't decide to run again this year.

Trumbull 1 year, 10 months ago

Used to voted mixed. Will be very hard to vote for a Republican ever again after how they conducted themselves during the debt ceiling crisis. They were willing to risk the US credit rating for sake of party.

Liberty275 1 year, 10 months ago

I'll vote for any libertarian then split the vote from there. One year I didn't vote for anyone, but just wrote "no more taxes" in big letters on the ballot.

jafs 1 year, 10 months ago

How well did that work out?

Liberty275 1 year, 10 months ago

As well as making little black dots.

rockchalker52 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm voting Big Bird. Have you seen what happens to the quality of privatized 'learning' channels?

http://www.themysteryworld.com/2012/10/how-tlc-has-changed-24-pics.html

jonas_opines 1 year, 10 months ago

I try to vote for split power, for the most part, without voting for particular people who seem too crazy. That last part is difficult sometimes.

beatrice 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm not really interested in politics, but if I were to vote, I would vote heads / tails.

Ronnie24 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't believe in voting straight party. I vote for the person I feel will do the best job according to my believes.

somedude20 1 year, 10 months ago

This gal gets my vote every day of the week and 5-6 times on Sunday!

MarcoPogo 1 year, 10 months ago

When Def Leppard's "Hysteria" album came out, they completely dominated the top spot on "Dial MTV"; viewers just kept calling in and voting for them over and over. Have things improved since then?

tbannwarth 1 year, 10 months ago

I may lean towards one party but have mixed it up. Usually at least once per election. I tend to go R nationally and D locally. Only lemmings vote straight D or R.

labmonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

The last Democrat I would have considered for President was Joe Lieberman. Democrats could have won by a landslide in 2004 had they nominated him. The Democrats have been taken over by the loony left. The Republican Party is about to split in two with the moderates vs. the Tea Party. The Tea Party needs to realize they cost the Republicans the Senate in 2010 and are going to again this year thanks to Missouri's wonderful Republican nominee of Todd Akin.

As for state, I voted for Kathy the first time over Schallenberger because I was angry with the hatchet job Kansans for Life did on Knight in the primary and for the fact it looked like Kathy was a moderate and Schallenberger was a rightwing nutjob. I was very angry when Kathy dined with Tiller and made her bed with Obama so I decided to never vote for a Democrat again in the state level. Locally, party doesn't mean much... have to go by the person.

I guess the short answer is yes, I more or less do vote straight Republican.

Richard Payton 1 year, 10 months ago

Sarah Palin supported Steelman not Akin. Akin was never supported by the tea party.

beatrice 1 year, 10 months ago

I tend to vote Democrat on the national level largely because of social issues, but I don't worry too much about party lines on the local level. Republicans on the national level have gone completely over the edge in recent years with their pledges to Grover Norquist over concerning themselves with what is best for the nation. The social conservativism of the Republican party is backward thinking that rational people should not support.

I might also vote for more Democrats locally if more of them were truly liberals. Too many are just Republican-lite these days.

xyz 1 year, 10 months ago

Did you know that Americans for Prosperity has set up an office at 9th and Hillcrest? Hopefully the Koch boys are smart enuf not to step foot in Lawrence.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 10 months ago

Just curious, xyz as in the xyz affair?

Richard Payton 1 year, 10 months ago

Mix it up on all levels local, state and national.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 10 months ago

"Used to do a lot of writing, now I do a lot of typing."

Jack Kerouak thought he could write. Then Truman Capote said ""He doesn't write. He types."

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 10 months ago

My vote this year will depend largely on the contents of the Perversion Files.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

"Be careful what you ask for . . ." - RoeDy's House of Paranoia and Campaign Management

Commenting has been disabled for this item.