Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On What can the city of Lawrence and Kansas University do to be a safer place?

Comments

Klumma 1 year, 10 months ago

Maybe adjust the camera flash, LJW. In this town it is already hard enough to tell the difference between the sexes...Although, wearing a "Van Dike" is very noticeable. - Not to be confused with a Go-T.

Klumma 1 year, 10 months ago

And take away all fire arms from former police chiefs that like to go and shoot off random rounds. It would make Lawrence and Kansas University much safer without high powered bullets raining down upon us. - As for all psychos that are over armed and unqualified. . . . Geez

Liberty275 1 year, 10 months ago

That won't work. If the city did that, all the maintenance crews would cut one strip and then refuse to continue the violence against the lawn.

labmonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

Perhaps Merrill would stop his reign of copy/paste terror.

Liberty275 1 year, 10 months ago

Make everyone wear helmets, all the time. And carry a fire extinguisher.

labmonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

Perhaps make good use of the police they have by fighting actual crime instead of constantly setting up speed traps at places like across the street from Hallmark.

classclown 1 year, 10 months ago

Josh, walk your dog down 12th street.I paid for those lights as well as a crossing signal just so you and and the other parasites students wouldn't have to be put out by having to go one whole block over

parrothead8 1 year, 10 months ago

Parasites...that's funny. Without students, there'd be no KU. Without KU, Lawrence would be...well, there wouldn't be much of a Lawrence, would there?

OonlyBonly 1 year, 10 months ago

Always with the "safety!" Lawrence is a pretty durn safe community. We've already surrendered enough "freedoms" in the name of safety.

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 10 months ago

For a town this size I think it is a safe place to be. People just need to be aware of whats happening around them, put the c/fone away tell you get to your car, then us it like 1/3 of our drivers., no just kidding, wait tell you get home to us,please

gphawk89 1 year, 10 months ago

"For a town this size I think it is a safe place to be". I partially agree and partially disagree. If "safe" means keeping yourself alive and physically unharmed then yeah, Lawrence is a pretty decent place. No nightliy shootings/murders like the last two places I've lived. However, if "safe" relates to your personal property, Lawrence sucks for its size. In my five years in Lawrence I experienced multiple vandalisms (cars keyed twice, car windows broken out twice, tire slashed, motorcycle keyed after someone tried and failed to hotwire it) and multiple thefts (stuff out of my car, stuff out of my room, a bicycle). In 23 years in "big cities" I've experienced NONE of that. I chalk it up to childish, petty behavior by fellow students.

Bill Lee 1 year, 10 months ago

Being afraid is just borrowing trouble. I try to live my life unafraid of everything. If you let things bother you, things will bother you. Enjoy your life with a positive attitude. The glass is half full, not half empty.

rockchalker52 1 year, 10 months ago

'Sometimes I feel like a motherless child.' - R.H.

somedude20 1 year, 10 months ago

make crime illegal..oh, and more dumb hicks with more bullets than brains running around the town cocked and loaded

Flap Doodle 1 year, 10 months ago

Why, look at all the wild west shoot-outs between Kansas concealed-carry permit holders in the past couple of years. Oh, wait, that seems to have not happened.

somedude20 1 year, 10 months ago

Crack, are you talking about voter fraud?

beatrice 1 year, 10 months ago

Checkpoints to stop and turn away people from Topeka.

Put a fence around Potter's to keep the riff raff from bathin' in it once a year.

beatrice 1 year, 10 months ago

I would use a sword by Walt to slice the seasonal fruitcake while standing on a roundabout ... for a Klondike bar.

Make love, not war. More matin' & less hatin.'

junco_partner 1 year, 10 months ago

a few ideas to make Lawrence safer... 1. rubber sidewalks 2. deport everyone from topeka and kansas city 3. curfew... no one is allowed to leave thier homes, although mom's meatloaf is pretty dangerous

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Unrestricted concealed and open carry.

"An armed society is a polite society" - Robert Heinlein

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -- Alexander Hamilton

"The bearing of arms is the essential medium through which the individual asserts both his social power and his participation in politics as a responsible moral being..." -- J.G.A. Pocock

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..." -- Samuel Adams

Not that I think very many here would believe . . . .

looza 1 year, 10 months ago

A jail cell on every street corner.

Consider takin' some survivalist training. My first lesson was about the best ways to poop in the woods. Did you know that using a flat rock is one of the best ways to clean your bottom? Hmm, I wonder if Indyan has turned up yet...

Commenting has been disabled for this item.