LJWorld.com weblogs Shop Talk with Jenn and Julie

Local merchants spread holiday cheer by providing exceptional service

I had an experience this week that I feel the need to share with you all.

On Wednesday, my son and I went to the Lawrence Kohl’s. I needed to return slippers I had bought for my husband, and my son Thomas was looking for a winter jacket.

I approached the customer service desk, and the clerk proceeded to process my return. We were chatting, and I told her I had expired Kohl’s cash that I didn’t have an opportunity to use. She smiled and told me she would gladly authorize the Kohl’s cash to be used that evening. I thanked her and helped Thomas pick out his jacket.

I was so pleasantly surprised. I was not expecting the clerk to do that for me. So, again, thank you, Kohl’s.

This particular experience got me thinking . . . I have been out and about quite a bit since Black Friday. While shopping or dining, I’ve encountered some great service and not so great service.

I was discussing this with my husband, and together, we came up with a list of Lawrence merchants where we have received exceptional service during this busy holiday season. These locations have employees that went above and beyond. And by this I mean, they were willing to answer questions, help locate items, provide prompt service, smiled like they meant it, and were extremely willing to help regardless of how busy it was.

So for this, I’d like to say “Thank you.”

Kohl’s

Starbucks (Dillons on Sixth Street)

Hobby Lobby

Downtown Barber Shop

House Parts

Best Buy

The Burger Stand at the Casbah

Johnny’s West

On another note, Kohl’s is still giving $10 Kohl’s cash for every $50 you spend. And don’t forget, if you received you mailer last week, look for your extra percentage off, up to 30 percent.

Comments

Jean1183 4 years ago

I have to add:

J.C. Penney's.......I was one cent short of the amount needed for a discount. The clerk gave it to me anyway. (This was BEFORE the Christmas season started.)

Kohl's......I bought several pieces of jewelry at 80% discount. The clerk asked if I wanted boxes for all of them and went and got boxes for me.

Hobby Lobby.....I needed one glass jar that they were out of. The employee went to check the store orders to see if anymore were coming and told me when they would be in. (This was in September.)

I add my "THANKS!" to all those employees who go "above & beyond" in their service!!!

ralphralph 4 years ago

Kohl's, Starbucks, Best Buy .... it doesn't get any more "Local" than that! ;-(

weegee 4 years ago

Perhaps the business itself is not locally owned, but (chances are) the employees are local.

Katara 4 years ago

I am glad you wrote this, Julie. Too many times we hear about lousy service and very rarely excellent service. I bet it makes the employees feel proud that the businesses they work for are spotlighted here for providing you a great customer experience and when an employee feels pride about their place of employment, it is reflected in the customer service you receive.

I'd like to add:

World Market - a clerk encouraged me to do separate transactions to maximize my savings.

6th St. Hy-Vee - they always help me locate a product and always with a smile and a pleasant demeanor.

UPS - my delivery guy is awesome and always makes sure my package is protected from the elements & out of general view if I am not at home.

Kwality Comics - they will go out of their way to find what you want.

Nikki May 4 years ago

I wish I had your UPS driver. Ours speeds down the road and leaves packages that shouldn't be left. Granted they don't know what's in the box, but a large box from Musician's Friend COULD be a guitar).

kernal 4 years ago

Weavers - always. 6th St. Hy-Vee - Usually

liberallibrarian 4 years ago

Weaver's!!! The BEST.

The Toy Store, Target (I know it's not local- but the Lawrence store has great customer service), Au Marche, and Liberty Hall (bought some GCs there for my family) have all been awesome to me this season!

Oliviajane 4 years ago

Starbucks (Mass St.) has the best customer service. I used to be a regular at a locally owned coffee shop but have stopped going there, because the service at this Starbucks is always beyond outstanding.

PennyBrite 4 years ago

another nod to 6th street Hyvee. It's just not one person in there's who's been extremely nice to us -- it's several who have gone out of their way.

EJ Mulligan 4 years ago

Checker's (always) Waxman Candles (they went searching in the back until they found the exact candle I was looking for) Weaver's (gift-wrapping) Bay Leaf (have had several different product recommendations that have been far superior to what I would choose)

And many of the others above.

Cynthia Walker 4 years ago

I would like to add Cottin's. I got great service there today, just as I do every time I visit.

youngjayhawk 4 years ago

The ETC Shop Phoenix Gallery Bayleaf Chicos Stitch On Kizer-Cummings Dusty Bookshelf Borders Starbucks - downtown

Kelly Cline 4 years ago

Add....HALF PRICE BOOKS on 23rd street. Staff is exceptionally friendly and always as helpful as they can be. They recently accepted one of my expired coupons also. A big thanks!!! And, you can't beat their prices!!!

Cindy Yulich 4 years ago

Definitely Weaver's. Their selection is wonderful as well. Plus....they wrap!

bastet 4 years ago

Raven Bookstore! Friendly staff who always give personal service!

ajacobs 4 years ago

Loved reading all the reviews! Remember, you can always chat about local businesses at www.ljworld.com/marketplace/reviews