Previous   Next

What do you think is at stake in the 2008 election?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 24, 2008

Browse the archives

“Whether or not we’ll have the same thing going on as we have now or a change in direction. I think our liberties are at stake as well.”

“There’s a lot. It’s about health care, it’s about the economy and whether we will continue to be at war.”

“I think it’s our economy and the availability of jobs, our military involvement abroad and the direction we’re going to take in order to solve our energy problem.”

“I think there is a lot of social equality at stake based solely on who is running. I’m just concerned that people will see it as a finish line and not as a milestone.”

Related story

Comments

juscin3 6 years, 2 months ago

My opinion, It basically boils down to they will say what they think you wanna hear. They will say whatever just so the American people will vote for them because they want a better paying job. Let's just hope that they will step up to the plate and do what they say they are going to do....LOL@whirled peas...good one!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 2 months ago

What's at stake? Um...the presidency?"I don't think it's right that my working hard and earning a living for my wife and I, that I should have to help support lazy, non-working people on welfare" -conservativepunkerSeriously! Have you not already been doing that? I guess now we get to add Wall Street and our lending institutions to our list of idiots that we are working to support.

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 2 months ago

Absolutely nothing. We've built up too much downward momentum.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

So, vote for the O'dude or the cities will burn?That's hope & change all right.

JackKats 6 years, 2 months ago

Bragging rights for the next four years.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

I loves the smell of hyperbole in the morning.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

"Bragging rights for the next four years."Sigh. . . as much as it pains me to admit it, this is probably the most accurate response yet.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 2 months ago

The same thing that's at stake every election: trying to take over the world.Oh, wait ... that's Pinky & and the Brain. Sorry.

BuffyloGal 6 years, 2 months ago

Ok, so why don't we kick some Saudi butt since they were the majority involved? Iraq? Please. Instead INS has made it even easier for Saudis to come in on student visas since 9/11. Just what we need - more Saudis in flight schools. Good plan!We are the best country in the world so long as we keep our heads in the sand and refuse to hear any other opinions. Feeding the world, but unable to keep food on our own tables. Protecting them whether they want us to or not. Rescuing others but not folks living in New Orleans. You forget that the rest of the "free world" does a lot of this too, not just us.

conservativepunker 6 years, 2 months ago

If Obama wins, goodbye 2nd Amendment, hello Socialism. I don't think it's right that my working hard and earning a living for my wife and I, that I should have to help support lazy, non-working people on welfare

gogoplata 6 years, 2 months ago

Not much.Liberals are under the illusion that it would be much better for Obama to win."Conservatives" are under the illusion that it would be better with McCain.Sure there are differences in the candidates but to make a claim that something very significant is at stake is bs.Either way there will be little or no change in foreign policy, the size of government, or the economy. We will still be fighting wars, increasing the size and power of the federal government, and continuing to use the Federal Reserve.

gccs14r 6 years, 2 months ago

What's at stake is our survivability as a nation of free people. Our debt will be our downfall. We must stop deficit spending and start paying our debt, or the next thing we'll be selling to the Chinese will be Alaska. I think the person who is most likely to fix our debt problem is the man who will have to live with the consequences of his actions for decades rather than the doddering fool with a hair-trigger temper with one foot in the grave.

Mixolydian 6 years, 2 months ago

Most people commenting here just need to put down the thesaurus and back slowly away from the computer.There's not a dimes' worth of difference between Obama and McGovern and every democrat presidential candidate since. Change is just a campaign slogan. His campaign promises are nothing but "Vote for Pedro" lines, i.e, "vote for me and all your wildest dreams will come true."Elect either man and the world won't end and it won't get much better either. Park your self esteem and worth else where other than in a political party and then you'll see change.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

TOB, ewwww.They'd better nuke that site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.My living room currently looks like a library that ran into a hardware store. Cluttered, but sanitary is the atmosphere I'm shooting for.BTW, lemur wool hit a new high today on the Swiss markets. Bring a fine-toothed comb & a pair of clippers with you.

Jaminrawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Most conservatives probably went into the Bush administration not thinking our country would ever be this bad off 8 years in. The sins of this administration need to be remedied. John McCain is Bush light. A "maverick" who voted with Bush 90% of the time. Yeah, a real rebel. At least Obama represents hope rather than Bush politics as usual.

David Mora Marín 6 years, 2 months ago

Jonas_opines may not be right after all. That's what people always say, what people said in 2000: It doesn't matter--Gore, Bush--it's all the same. Well, it's not.

Godot 6 years, 2 months ago

slowleak 6 years, 2 months ago

BrianR 6 years, 2 months ago

Godot (Anonymous) says:"What's at stake? This election will determine which network of rich, unprincipled people will control our lives for the next 8 years."That is an excellent observation.

pbusby 6 years, 2 months ago

I think we need Obama to be president because of the fact he is black and has an arab name. Maybe then Afghanistan and other countries will be afraid of us for once and leave us alone.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

Acknowledging the existence of a threat isn't exactly the same thing as being afraid.

1029 6 years, 2 months ago

Many things. The U.S.'s reputation in the world, for one. Obama's election could show that we're not the ruthless, hateful, intolerant country that many perceive us to be. It would show that maybe we are still the land of opportunity for people of all races and economic backgrounds, that we are able to make rational decisions, and that not everyone supports the direction Bush (or McCain) is taking us in. A McCain victory will create the perception that the American people are a scared, mindless, bigoted, ignorant mass. Palin will continuously embarrass us with her stupidity, and the country will be laughed at for four years as it continues to fall apart. The poor will get poorer as the rich get richer. There will be severe rioting and dangerously increased discontent among minorities and people who were just becoming interested in politics and beginning to believe that their votes could make a difference.

search4truth 6 years, 2 months ago

I agree Clickker... even with all our problems, we are the best country in history. We basically feed, protect, and rescue (from natual disaster) most of the free world. I think we should have a balance... buffylogal. Ok, we should care what other countries think of us, but not to our own demise. When our buildings are knocked down with our own planes and 3ooo people die... I don't care what any other country thinks... we needed to kick butt. Foreign policy... I pick McCain! ... fighting corruption (the current crisis)... McCain/PalinKeeping taxes low and cut spending (elliminate earmarks)... McCain/PalinIt really has to do with the issues, and who ya think would address them most effectively. The reason I won't vote Obama is not that he is black (he's not really black anyway... he is half white). It is his policies, which border on socialism. If JC Watts, Condy Rice, or Micheal Steel were running... they would get my vote... and they are all really black.

BuffyloGal 6 years, 2 months ago

Are you kidding me??? Who gives a flying fck what the world thinks of us? In fact, I will tell you most think the US provides a better opportunity than any other place. Thats why they are falling all over thmselves to get here!!! No US citizen is scrambling to move to Venesuala , Russia, China etc.____Hilarious response given the article yesterday about how even immigrants are thinking twice about moving here. Believe it or not, "love it or leave it" are not the only choices in this country nor in today's global economy. I know several people who have various passports, not just one (or none!). Having lived in Australia for 10 years I can assure you that the world thinks we are sht for our actions in Iraq and that is from our allies. The election of Dubya not once but twice was insulting enough. Running Palin on the GOP ticket makes us an even bigger laughing stock. The world's opinion of us is important. Just as we worry about what other countries will do next and how it will impact our lives. China may have a man on the moon by the end of the next decade. Interested? Saudi Arabia owns us. Interested? If you think they don't matter, you must only read small town newspapers like this one.

kidicarus 6 years, 2 months ago

"Larry_The_Moocher (Anonymous) says: The last guy on the street says: Social Equality: that pretty much sums it up. Few want to work anymore, less take responsibility for their actions, and many of those who spend their money on liquor and tattoos when nearing retirement age, think the world owes them something.It is truly sad we have gotten to this point. Twenty million illegals sucking resources out of the system. Many on disibility for being drunks or fat. Not much money left for those who really need it.SignedA Taxpayer"A lot of people work hard. Get over thinking you are better than everyone else.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

Probably not as much as everybody wants to think. I doubt there will be as big of a change from what we're used to as everybody thinks, and understanding the potential inaccuracy of opinion, I doubt that either will last more than a single term, precisely because there won't be as big of a change from what we're used to as everyone thinks.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 2 months ago

Oops. Just call me redundant. That's probably why I don't use ampersands very often.

slang4d 6 years, 2 months ago

"I don't think it's right that my working hard and earning a living for my wife and I, that I should have to help support lazy, non-working people on welfare."At the moment, your tax-dollars are mostly supporting a war. And guess what? They were mostly supporting the military six or even ten years ago. I don't understand this non-support of government programs when regular "hard-working" people could one day need them. Many people live paycheck to paycheck and one stroke of bad luck such as a large medical bill or layoff could ruin them. If you talk to a single mother on welfare, you'll find they've tried to work a minimum wage job and it was impossible for them to afford daycare. Reforms are clearly needed, but obliterating programs like this would be disastrous. Anyway...what's at stake? I agree with posters that mentioned international opinion because it IS important. We can't wall ourselves off (literally) and pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist until it's time to drop some bombs or sanction them. It harms our economy when confidence drops here AND abroad.

search4truth 6 years, 2 months ago

I agree with more than you think... but pointing out only our short commings isn't the whole picture. Unable to keep food on the table... we have soo many safety nets (welfare) it isn't funny. I have relatives that live of our tax dollars and eat much better than I. Ask France if they aren't happy that we saved their butts in WWII?? The folks in New Orleans... even though it is tragic... had much more time to get out than Greensburg Ks had for a tornado. What about the more recent hurricanes... people took more responsibility for their actions. Even though, I agree that much of the free world does do some of the good that we do... but more often than not... WE do lead the way. If you hate america sooo much... bufflogal...you don't have to stay.

tvc 6 years, 2 months ago

1029, really? Kerry lost to Bush. I don't think it was because Kerry was black. I could not believe anyone would vote for Bush, but I can see why people would vote for McCain. Yes, conservativepunker, socialism is only good for businesses! I don't want socialized healthcare because I must help the needy corporations. What kind of society would we be if we left big businesses behind?!

BuffyloGal 6 years, 2 months ago

"BTW, lemur wool hit a new high today on the Swiss markets. Bring a fine-toothed comb & a pair of clippers with you." SnapI'm sure that's what the President will be advising us all of this evening.

tvc 6 years, 2 months ago

Why was slowleak's comment deleted?

slang4d 6 years, 2 months ago

" the left thinks world opinion is important to the future of the US."Are you under the impression that we don't have foreign investors? Do you believe our goods are manufactured here in the U.S.? Global consumer confidence doesn't effect our economy?

Clickker 6 years, 2 months ago

"Many things. The U.S.'s reputation in the world, for one. Obama's election could show that we're not the ruthless, hateful, intolerant country that many perceive us to be. It would show that maybe we are still the land of opportunity for people of all races and economic backgrounds, that we are able to make rational decisions, and that not everyone supports the direction Bush (or McCain) is taking us in."Are you kidding me??? Who gives a flying f*ck what the world thinks of us? In fact, I will tell you most think the US provides a better opportunity than any other place. Thats why they are falling all over thmselves to GET HERE!!! No US citizen is scrambling to move to Venesuala , Russia, China etc.

lee66049 6 years, 2 months ago

Slang4d....So you think foreign capitalist investors care how their country relates to the US politically? How interesting. Global consumer confidence? Well I do have to give you credit for that. Because we are not just in a US economic crisis, but rather part of the world economic crisis. However the fact that France hates us has little to do with it.So back to the question which you deflected from? Which nations do you want us to cozy up to?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

Remember, vote for the O'dude or his enlightened followers will burn your house down.

arizonajh 6 years, 2 months ago

lee66049-So I'm curious, who do we need to get to love us?I don't think anyone say's they need to "love us" but we need to be able to at least interact with them without hostility, taking into account thier desires and fears as well as ours.Just for example:We put a missile defense system in Poland to protect Israel from Iranian missiles. Russia sees this as a threat (rightly or wrongly) and worries about the US and it's allies on their border. Georgia has a problem with a break-away area and Russia feels it must get involved before the US steps in. US sees Russia invading a democracy and floats thoughts of future inclusion in NATO for Georgia. Russia sees this as more intrusion on their border and sends bombers and warships to Venezuela. At the same time North Korea decides to start up it's nuclear reactors again because the US wouldn't take them off the "State Sponsors of Terrorism List" and sees Russia and the US in a pissing contest and knows they won't come together when needed. We decide we need to go back to the UN to revive sanctions we eased when N.Korea turned the reactors off and guess what we need Russia for that. Russia votes no in Security Council and North Korea is left to run free. In this way we need other countries to work with us. We may not like them, we may not approve of all they do but we still need to be able to work with them, even France. Now we could end our involvement in the UN but how would we have any influence then? Are we going to use the military every time we have a problem with another country instead of diplomacy?

lee66049 6 years, 2 months ago

I know the left thinks world opinion is important to the future of the US. Perhaps they could tell us what countries opinion they value the most. Is it N. Korea, China, Russia, Iran, Venezuela? Which countries should we really try to get them to like us? Maybe we should raise taxes and send additional billions of dollars to world aid. Then they will like us just a little bit better. Clinton was concerned about world opinion, we had more terrorist attacks against us then than in the history of the nation. They even planned, trained, practiced their attacks against us right here in the US.So I'm curious, who do we need to get to love us?

nobody1793 6 years, 2 months ago

The fate of the entire flag pin industry.

gogoplata 6 years, 2 months ago

Madmike you are too late. The socialist slide is already in full stride. Our "conservative" president is urging congress to bail out private business. How could McCain or Obama be any worse? Not that I think they will be any better either.

slang4d 6 years, 2 months ago

"What is at stake here is the answer to the question, "Is this nation going to start the socialist slide or not?"" What is this horrible fear of socialism? You can find bits and pieces of socialism all of the world and it's not exactly evil...Finland's welfare state is enviable. Or look at Sweden MINUS state-supported religion and incentives not to work. Denmark....France...The UK? The US will never be a completely socialist country (which is a good thing!), but we can learn something from some of the places listed above. Had we adopted some "socialist" principles like corporate regulation, we wouldn't be in our current mess.