Previous   Next

Do you agree with the new four-year agreement to play the Kansas-Missouri football game at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo.?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 29, 2008

Browse the archives

“Yes, I do. I think the tailgating is better. It builds the game up more. It’s in more of a professional atmosphere. It even adds something to the rivalry.”

“Absolutely not. First of all, our chances are better of beating them here. Secondly, I think it’s hard on the businesses in town, and there’s just nothing like a KU-MU game in Lawrence.”

“I don’t agree. They should play here. Kansas City has all kinds of stuff over there for recreation and entertainment. We need our people here.”

“I think it’s good. It’s neutral territory. They come to one place, and it does cut down on the traffic around Lawrence and Columbia, Mo.”

Comments

muddfoot55 6 years ago

I think it's a great idea! It puts all the partying in someone else's town, and the Highway Patrol / D C Sheriff can sort them out on K-10 on their way home. Make a little revenue. It might even cut down on some of the drinking related stupidity knowing they all have to drive a greater distance home.

Deja Coffin 6 years ago

It's not really neutral, it's still Missouri. That just means more bad roads and mullets. How can that be a good thing?

dajudge 6 years ago

Are the hot toasted buttery biscuits any better over there? If so, then it's a good idea. If not, then, no.

TonyCheray 6 years ago

WOW Kudos to the great state of MO (sarcasticly speakng). They have found another way into duping us KU fans into thinking this was good for for the University and Lawrence. But in fact all they did is come up with yet another way to keep the money in the state of MO. Must be nice to have the people in MO reap all the finacial benifits of the border war show down. I mean KU will get paid good money for the appearence but the state and the city of Lawrence will get no tax generated income and the business of Lawrence will not see any monies from the MO fans. It is bad enough Norm Steweart proclaims that MU does not spend any money in kansas during basketball season opting to stay in Kansas City hotels and busing to the game just hours before tip off. I wish in four years KU will rethink this. I wish KU fans would rethink the ideas that Kansas City venues like Kemper Sprint Center and Arrowhead are "HOME GAMES". I am sorry they are not even in the same state let alone at the campus of KU. I will get off my soap box for now.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years ago

"I mean KU will get paid good money for the appearence but the state and the city of Lawrence will get no tax generated income and the business of Lawrence will not see any monies from the MO fans."KU receives $1,000,000.00 for today's game. Besides, how would Lawrence benefit by having the game in Columbia, MO this year???

Kyle Neuer 6 years ago

No NO NO NOCollege games should be played in college towns in front of college students.Are they going to move the KU/MU games out of Allen or Paige to the Sprint Center next?

jumpin_catfish 6 years ago

Neutral territory!!! Its in Missouri but I'm sure the merchants over there are happy. How do the Lawrence merchants feel about it, what's that, oh it sucks and Lew is a @!#%^&. That's about same way I feel about it. Hell, why not play all our basketball home games at the Sprint Center, its nice and new and devoid of tradition or memories or any of that stuff you can't put a price tag on.

Alison Roberts 6 years ago

No, I dont think its a good thing. I have talked to many older KU alumni and they said its a big clusterf*ck at Arrowhead. Its all about the money though, so Im sure no matter what the fans say, it will stay in kc.It may be a "neutral" playing field, but what fun is that? I also agree that it hurts downtown business.

jayhawks71 6 years ago

TonyCheray--- you said "They have found another way into duping us KU fans into thinking this was good for for the University and Lawrence."No, they haven't duped the fans... the fans don't matter in the decision. If they duped anyone it is the KUAC...they aren't fans... they have a financial and a career stake (and more finances on top of that) in what happens---fanatics back their team regardless.@ haiku - Lawrence would have benefited from having the game in Lawrence every other year. You don't actually think MU would sign an agreement to play in KC on years when the game would be played in Columbia, and in Lawrence when KU is home...The way it is now, neither city ever gets revenue.

del888 6 years ago

since when do college games have to be played on a 'neutral' field. If it's truely neutral, then why isn't the money split 50/50. Why is there a 'home' team and a 'visitor' team?Aren't we both visitors? Keep the game in Lawrence.

deskboy04 6 years ago

It was a great game that 79,000 people got to see. The atmosphere was amazing. The downtown merchants shouldn't complain...it's only one game every two years. For players and fans it is an amazing experience.