Previous   Next

Do you like to cook out on the grill?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 23, 2008

Browse the archives

“I like eating grilled foods and going to barbecues, but I’m never the one manning the grill.”

“I like my husband to cook out on the grill for me. I refuse to learn because I already do everything else in the kitchen.”

“I do. I like to play with the fire and like being outside, especially on a cool night.”

“No. I don’t like meat that much, and I really don’t want to see it raw. I feel like it’s for guys to do. I wouldn’t even know where to begin.”

Comments

Buggie7 5 years, 11 months ago

Marion you say you are forced to breathe the toxins? How funny cause I have the right to grill just as you have the right to move to the country or stay in a air conditioned house if you feel the need. Not everyone on earth was put here to cater to your likes and dislikes.Grill on Peeps Grill on. Marion go get a oxygen tank and get over it if you are that damn concerned. Everyone has rights and sadly for you one of mine is to grill in the wide open of my little patio.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

Marion,Just saying if you want to "turn" people to your side, calling them names will not help. I am sure you know that already, but you just don't care. It seems, in this case, you are more interested in saying you are right then actually convincing others that you are or that your argument is. Have a nice day, people. Going to shop for prom dresses - wahoo.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

mom_of_three (Anonymous) says: "And don't call them hypocrites. I am sure that will not help your cause."Marion writes:I just call'em as I see'em.I have no real "cause" other than to out "liberals" for the elitist, arrogant hypocrites that they are.Spent some time doing that very thing this morning over on "that other site" but I won't link to it here.

Buggie7 5 years, 11 months ago

Personally I love the smell of BBQ or someone grilling. I know there are toxins. Dont care. I love grilled food.Marion looks like you will have to get a oxygen tank and live in your weed infested yard since Im sure you probably dont mow or use weed killers as well. Mom of three I know im not a hypocrite LOL I love grilling and will tell the worlddddd LOL. Go get em girl!!

JJE007 5 years, 11 months ago

I smell asbergers roasting!~)

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

Marion, You have stated the same thing several times now, and the ones you need to tell it to are not reading this blog. Go tell it on the street, literally, because those are the people you need to convince. (as far as the equally toxic part, well, not sure about that, but I don't care. I am not one you need to convince.) And don't call them hypocrites. I am sure that will not help your cause.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

The fact remains that you are willing to accept one kind of smoke while rejecting the other.You are willing to have five or six wood-fired ovens and smokers running in the Downtown corridor filling Downtown with a smoke known to be at least as and probably more harmful than second-hand tobacco smoke.You are willing to deprive the public of the right to make a decision as to whether or not to breathe that smoke.If I want to go Downtown, I am "forced" to breathe the poisonous smoke generated by these ovens and smokers."But it smells so good!", you say as you inale the toxins while forcing me to breathe that deadly stuff."Just don't go Downtown if you don't like the smoke!", you cry.And just where have I heard a similar argument?You set up your characoal grill in your back yard and the wind blows the toxic-laden smoke into my, where I must either stop breathing or inhale the poisonous effluent of your cooking.You are indeed "forcing" me to breathe your smoke.Each and every of the arguments which I have made against charcoal and wood smoke are exactly the same arguments used by those who favour tobacco smoking bans except that I substituted a different but equally toxic smoke.You are willing to accept the risks associated with charcoal, propane and wood smoke because you like the result.The same is true for tobacco users.You may be willing to accept the risks but at the same time you are also perfectly willing to force those risks on others because you like the result; the charred meat and veggies from the grills.Your primary suggestion is that if I don't like your smoke, that I shouldn't be around it.Complete hypocrisy and you have been outed as complete and total hypocrites.I love the smell of barbequed liberals in the morning!

Buggie7 5 years, 11 months ago

I remember in campfire girls how to make the can bunson (sp?) burners and make breakfast with those and oh you are so right multi the eggs are awesome and I used to love the coffee on the fire too had a nice rich aroma and flavor to it.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Scrambled eggs are best over a woodstove in a cast iron pan.Amazing difference.Ahh, those were some good days.I suppose cast iron on a grill would suffice. Not charcoal, but wood of course.

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

I tried mac and cheese on the grill..all my macaroni fell through the grates..and if you think that is messy, try scrambled eggs.

Buggie7 5 years, 11 months ago

Mom of three has it. There really isnt too much you can do or eat that is not going to cause some kind of health concern. Down to the contaminates in the produce in our stores. I have had my father pass away from cancer and he was pretty conscious about what he did and what he ate. He got cancer and died anyway so Im going to enjoy my car and enjoy my grilling and enjoy my freakin eggs produce whatever Im gonna enjoy and tell my kids to do the same. There are crappy curbs and potholes in Lawrence that will probably kill me before the toxins do.Grill on peeps grill on!!!

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

I am not reading so much about propane grills causing health pollutants as i am about charcoal. But if you are worried about those cancer causing agents, then you better avoid meat altogether.And, of course, that car you drive is SO healthy for the environment. (please note HEAVY sarcasm)

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

beatrice (Anonymous) says: Tobacco smoke good!Grill smoke bad!Moronic hypocrite!"Marion writes:No, Bea, you ignorant ......, I didn't write that tobacco smoke is good.I wrote that smoke from chrarcoal and propane fired grills is toxic, poisonous and carcinogenic, which it is.I also wrote that most of you are complete hypocrites as you dislike and ban one kind of smoke, while approving and reveling in the other.As I wrote; hypocritical.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

skewers...mac and cheese....heeheeheehee. okay, gotta start on my paper....good night, people

Buggie7 5 years, 11 months ago

That is how ya do the mac and cheese too multi. silly. use the foil dish. that cheese can get freakin hotataaaaa.oh man you made me think of skewers/shish. Shame on you cause now I need to make a whole new grocery list. ha ha

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

mom of three..I try.Somedays that's all I have to look forward to.I ticked off this woman on another thread and she said she read many of my posts and that they are just meant to be mean, etc. I wrote back, I guess she didn't read that many of my posts LOL. I got censored on the priest with the balloons thread (I had seen this on another news service the day before, so I'd done some thinking about his plight). Some poster said something about them hearing a high pitched scream. Made me think of what he might be thinking..and the REM song, "losing my religion" popped into my head..I also referred to myself with the toast "I'll see you in (four letters for the devils world). This is a very common phrase/toast. They culled my post! I couldn't believe it.Buggie7..I tried mac and cheese, but the macaroni kept breaking when I put it on the skewers/shish. The cheese made a mess. (I bet smoked cheese white sauce is addictive, may have to try it.)I did once made some kind of cheese into smoked cheese in our stack smoker. Not as good as store bought, but interesting. Set the block in a foil "dish" and let it do it's thing.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 11 months ago

"Carbon credits are also banned and will be replaced with bbq sauce credits."A+! That was amazing.

Buggie7 5 years, 11 months ago

Ms Reardon on the street says she doesnt like meat so she doesnt grill. Well Kelly try some veggies and fruit they are great on the grill. I make a mean mac and cheese on the grill with penne pasta its out of this world. I agree long live the king.

riverdrifter 5 years, 11 months ago

You mean people cook inside?! What a novel concept. Ontheotherhand, fill your propane tanks at Heetco for half the price of a convience store tradeout.I will only give up my Beefeater s3000 when they pry it from my cold, dead hands. Tonight: morrocan marinaded striped bass. Easy to do. Rain be damned.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 11 months ago

I hereby with this posting declare myself King of the grille and further authorize all my loyal subjects to grille in any and every form they desire so long as it is tasty. Carbon credits are also banned and will be replaced with bbq sauce credits.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Great, cause I can dodge raindrops like a barn roof.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

Yes, multi, if you run outside, and dodge the raindrops and lightening, you will be braver than me. And under the porch roof counts, although only for half credit.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

So if I run outside, I can feel braver than someone?Wow, this will be good for my flailing ego!Does under the porch roof count?Call me Powder.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

anybody outside right now is braver than I am

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

I just looked at the radar..DG county looks like it is going to be in the s**t tonight..You'll need your umbrella out on the deck.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

Shatt, Now what do we agree upon - oh, the part about the smoking ban.....okay....Now, excuse me, have to tell hubby not to grill durig storm....

Shatt 5 years, 11 months ago

I think this is one topic mom_of_three and I agree upon. We shall hold hands just this once, and then go back to hating each other in 5 mins.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

JJE -lol. (sorry it took so long)

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

There may have been a few nuts barbecued today..without even building a fire.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

Marion,I am not a hypocrite. As I said in a previous post - I am not for the city wide smoking ban. I believe it should be up to the business owner to decide. Therefore, my grill can blow smoke up yo.... use your imagination....

beatrice 5 years, 11 months ago

Tobacco smoke good!Grill smoke bad!Moronic hypocrite!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Maria, I just went out to look at it. It was my mom's. My parents died and it came to my house to sit on the porch. The label lost it's words. It's a waist high, with a red top. I opened it, it will need a lot of cleaning the first time, with a wire brush, rust, mold from not being used. Some rust around the vent swivel on top. Has two wheels and two stationary legs. They tended to put money into things, so it likely is a better brand, just been sitting for a few years. Knowing people don't want things that need some cleaning, I probably would have just taken it to the curb. If I had people to BBQ for, I wouldn't hesistate to clean it up and use it more.The smoke stack can be used for grilling too. It's been in the basement, and is in much better shape.

Shatt 5 years, 11 months ago

Honey is the only food that never spoils.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Another southern bbq trick. Start your now, the taste gets stronger with age.(Heck they pour it on everything, beans and cornbread, chili, turnips, grilling meats/marinade)Take a small tall bottle, (or a big quart one if you aren't pouring picky), stuff it full of small hot peppers.Yellow, red, pepperoncini, then add vinegar to the top.Just use the vinegar as you would tabasco like sauces. Cheap, add more vinegar as you use it, I'm told it never spoils.Why don't stores carry green tomatoes? Need to fry some of those this year.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

JJ says,{8~]) :.No? :OK, I give up. No more corn on this grilling thread,I'll admit it, I smiled.I also like your pic, the low corner mouth is great. When one is really confused, try a & for the hair.Apples, the skin browns and shrivels, warn the little tykes, or they'll have a "no way" cow.Everyone, mint juleps sometime this grilling season!And boil some peanuts why don't you.Anyone got a local place for green/raw peanuts in bulk?

Take_a_letter_Maria 5 years, 11 months ago

beebee, as trinity pointed out, you'll want to close down the vents a little bit to control the flames, but only the bottom vents. If you close the top vents you'll trap in that carcinogenic smoke of shat's.MD is that a Webber smoker you are looking to send to a good home? Either way I'm interested, but especially if it's a Webber. The kids would love the ping-pong table, but I don't have room for it.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

mom_of_three (Anonymous) says: If we had to give up everything that was bad for us or caused a disease, we would be cold, naked and alone in our houses.____You mean this webcam transmits "ALL" the time? How did you know this?

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

I truly feel sorry for folks like Marion. To read those post, one would think he does nothing but eat uncooked oatmeal and raw vegatables. Maybe he does. I don't presume to tell others how to live or what is bad for them. It is a matter of personal choice. But when someone tells me how bad my food is for me and that my manner of cooking is offensive to the environment and society, I take exception. To me, that attitude is nothing less than self rightous, intolerant bigotry at its finest. And then think we are supporting global warming with our little fires..give it break man, relax. I'll go out on a limb, totally unsupported by any links to facts or figures..All the barbecue fires in America don't amount to a statistically significant hill of beans when compared to all other sources of pollution. Just a gut feeling...

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

I guess this is a good thread to sayLooks like I have a weber grill and a tower smoker that need to find good homes.Also, a Little Tykes twin red race car bed with mattress (cost us $300) and a newer ping pong table, the kind that is on wheels and folds in half, upright to save space.Donations very needed but not manditory. Realtor says I need to empty the house.(Two family's belongings: garden tools, and everything else for that matter, if you need it, just ask, I've probably got it, and most everything has to go)

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Shatt (Anonymous) says: I wonder what that colon looks like grilled:----------------Just like calamari does.=D

JJE007 5 years, 11 months ago

Alright...I'm trying this one more time, and if I don't get a virtual laugh...I'll try it one more time one MORE time!~)---I hate to cook out on the grill. I don't look good in stripes.---{8~]) ....No? ...OK, I give up. No more corn on this grilling thread,

M. Lindeman 5 years, 11 months ago

Anonymous userPoon (Anonymous) says:People who own large grills only do so to make up for other shortcommings.OR, We might have 3 teenage boys with a healthy appetite.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

mom_of_three (Anonymous) says: If we had to give up everything that was bad for us or caused a disease, we would be cold, naked and alone in our houses.""Marion, I am not forcing you to breathe -"coolmom (Anonymous) says: maybe you shouldnt have friends? God, forbid they invite you to a meal and then harm your delicate system. acg- in the apple thing would you wrap it in foil? i am thinking of grilling today lol."rammy (Anonymous) says: poor marionstill bitter about the smoking ban!!I love the smoking ban:::and i grill several times a week::so bite me"autie (Anonymous) says: Two to three times a week. With charcoal and assorted hardwoods"Well, we can clearly see that these people have no interest in the environment, no respect for the rights of others to breathe clean air and are bent on promoting Global Warming as well as abusing their children by forcing them to breathe the deadly and poisonous vapours from their grills and madating that those same children eat food contaminated with chemicals known to cause cancer and other maladies.Tobacco smoke bad!Grill smoke good!Hypocrites!

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

I saw the piece on asparagus. With all this grillin talk..plus sent a suggestion for shrimp..I guess I know what is on tap at my house Saturday night. Flame on brothers!!!

trinity 5 years, 11 months ago

beebee, maybe try shutting the lid or closing down the vents, to diminish flameage. seems to have always worked, for me.

BeeBee3 5 years, 11 months ago

Grilled some turkey burgers last night on a little webber with charcoal. Didn't know squirting water on the flames to make them smaller was "bad for the porcelain finish." Wooops.

acg 5 years, 11 months ago

Marion, I am not forcing you to breathe - momof3 knocks one outta the park!No need to wrap the apples in foil, coolmom, if you make sure your heat is indirect. It's a good thing to put off to the side of your grate while you're grilling your main course. You'll be able to tell when they're done when they give a little with a gentle squeeze, like when you check baked potatoes.

Shatt 5 years, 11 months ago

I wonder what that colon looks like grilled...

beatrice 5 years, 11 months ago

Last week's Meat-Out, wasn't that the official kick-off to the bbq season for cooking outdoors? Actually, here in Phoenix we enjoy cooking out doors all year long. Unfortunately, in the summer time cooking out doors has a whole different meaning. ugh Marion, don't like the air outside? Didn't our president (and your personal hero) teach you that if you are worried about the air quality that you should wrap your house in plastic and then seal all the windows with duct tape? Seal them tight so no air gets in. Ever. Please, feel free to do so.

lucky_man 5 years, 11 months ago

Shatt doesn't want his colon to end up looking like this: http://www.gihealth.com/html/education/photo/colonCancer.htmlThe next time you think that blood in your stool is just your hemorrhoids flaring up again, think again. Grilling is commonly known to introduce carcinogens into the body. You keep eating grilled foods, hemorrhoids will seem like an itching, burning walk in the park.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

And I don't approve of the smoking ban either

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

"I do find it rather odd that those who support the smoking ban are perfectly willing to force others to breathe the deadly, poisonous and carcinogenic smoke"Marion, I am not forcing you to breathe -

Shatt 5 years, 11 months ago

Its pretty hypocritical of someone that thinks that a business owner should lose his rights to ban or allow legal activity in his establishment just because it offends a few people. Just as I should not go to places where I dont approve of certain activities, you shouldn't go to places where you dont approve of. Do you want the government coming to your house telling you that you cant grill in your backyard because the guy next door doesn't like to breathe your smoke? Do you want the government coming to your house telling you that you are no longer allowed to use gas powered lawn equipment because the lady across the street doesn't like the smell? How do you think bar owners feel when the government comes to them and says that people cant smoke on their property anymore. I'd tell the government to F**k off. They have no right. If someone doesnt like the smoke, dont go. Just like someone who doesnt like nudity and porn shouldn't go to a strip club. There are plenty of smoke free places where you can go to have a drink. The smoking ban is unconstitutional and won't last very long. Wait and see.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

trinity (Anonymous) says: you have not mentioned the smoking ban??Marion (Marion Lynn) says:Shame on you hypoctical "Greenies" for charcoal or propane grilling!Don't you know that grilling is a major source of both CO2 and carcinogenic smoke?You ban smoking in public but stand around grilles like a bunch of potheads sniffing patchouli!"Marion writes:I was referring to the lack of mention of the smoking ban in the post to which another poster had responded.I do find it rather odd that those who support the smoking ban are perfectly willing to force others to breathe the deadly, poisonous and carcinogenic smoke generated by thier primitive and dangerous cooking techniques with nary a concern for the public health.

trinity 5 years, 11 months ago

THANK you tob-i wasn't quite sure what tag to put on what i was trying to say! ;)ooooooooo acg...i have to try that apple on the grill, it sounds wonderful to me! i've done fresh pineapple before&that was just scrumptious.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

Sure are a lot of good recipes for chicken on here. Anybody got a good recipe for shrimp??

Shatt 5 years, 11 months ago

coolmom (Anonymous) says:yes. i do mean don't go. i am sorry i was not clear. how rude really to tell someone how to cook the meal they invited you over for. lol. no grilled apples for you.==============================================================So does that mean you think the smoking ban is a bad thing? Are you telling me that a business owner should have to right to allow or ban smoking in his/her own establishment? Are you trying to tell me that I shouldn't go to a bar if I dont like smoking, and the bar owner allows it? OH MY GOD! HOW DARE YOU! The business owner has no right to run the business how he wants! Just as you have no right to grill on your property!

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

I understand coolmom. If Shatt comes to my house, he will have to tolerate grill smoke, cigarette smoke, smart mouthed kids and the dogs will probably jump in his lap...But then again I reckon if he is offended by any of that, he would make that conscience decision to not show up...And we many times are protected by a force field that emits rays of liberalism from the porch...

GSWtotheheart 5 years, 11 months ago

Heetco on 59 hiway outside of N. Lawrence charges $15 for a propane tank fillup.I would rather grill on my propane grill than smell your cigarette smoke.I've never heard of grilling killing people, but cigarettes cause cancer. Cigarettes contain more carcinogens than most other substances on earth that people put in their bodies. Marion-you're a fool. If you think that posting your invective and then hammering on it for post after post is going to stop me or any other griller from grilling, then like I said, you're a fool.I'd call your posts tripe but I don't want to insult tripe.Not going to sit here and wait for your answer. It's time to fire up the grill. I like Baker Wetlands salamanders in a nice mesquite lime marinade and eat them while clog dancing on a round-a-bout. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Shatt 5 years, 11 months ago

Look what was found in the article titled "Arctic haze may hold clues to melting":"Their air samples have been found to contain dust from Asian deserts, salts that swell up with moisture, particles from incomplete burning of organic material from forest and cooking fires, and all manner of nasties emitted by automobile tailpipes, factory smokestacks and power plants."Did I see "cooking fires" in there? Did I? Hold on, let me read it again. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I did see "cooking fires." Does someone want to double check for me?

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

To all of those who complain about the effects of grilling - DO YOU DRIVE A CAR? That's what I thought.

coolmom 5 years, 11 months ago

coolmom 5 years, 11 months ago

coolmom 5 years, 11 months ago

oh, the grilled apple thing sounds awesome i will have to try that with the kids. i also have an electric lawnmower that i hate and i struggle with myself every time i walk by a full powered "real" lawn mower but am resigned that some changes you can make for the environment while not wonderful are a step in the right direction. sigh. oh the religious or moral comment raised eyebrows? lol how about ethical? i am sure i could come up with words that would offend less but on this board often it doesnt matter as we all myself included love to jump on percieved meaning, or tone. whatever as my pre teen would say.

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

acg, I will cut up a mango when I grill shrimp..baste it with some garliced up butter..kind of a sweet and sour thing starts..very good..I have done the same things with peaches. Fruit..not just for cups anymore!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

jackthetattoomaniac (.com)

Shatt 5 years, 11 months ago

So you mean to say that if I don't like the grill smoke, I shouldn't go? What do you mean? I should be able to go to anyone's house and not have to deal with their offensive grill smoke. Why should I give up my right to go have a good time when they are obviously the ones creating a harmful environment with their grill smoke. How dare you make such a rediculous argument. So what if its their house? That doesnt give them the right to force me to inhale their deadly grill smoke when I come over. You sound like one of those people who oppose the smoking ban. You obviously think a business owner should have the right to ban or allow smoking in his own establishment! That is ludicrous of you to think so. You dont think the government has any right to tell a business owner what legal activities he can allow in his own business? Thats BS. The government has EVERY right to tell you what you can and cant do with your own property. Even if it is legal. You are misguided my friend.

Shatt 5 years, 11 months ago

coolman says: "and you have some religious or moral protest against grilling dont go:"Wait for it........

acg 5 years, 11 months ago

I also like to grill fruit. I know, it sounds weird, but if you take an apple (granny smith are the best for this), cut off the top, hull out the core, fill the hole with a pasty mixture of graham crackers (crushed to powder), sugar, melted butter and assorted spices (I like to use cinnamon, nutmeg & ginger), put the top back on the apple and grill it using indirect heat for a while, it's fantastic!! The stuff in the middle kind of carmelizes and the apple cooks tender and it's a pretty thing to make (great for entertaining). Serve it with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream to cut the sweet. Yummy!

coolmom 5 years, 11 months ago

i love to grill and do so way more often than the hubby. i like propane and propane accesories and my twin will only use charcol. if your firend invites you over for steaks and you have some religious or moral protest against grilling dont go...i think that grilling is the least of my offences against mother earth though i do try and recycle, drive less and use greener and safer products so bring on the steaks, burgers, weenies, ribs, veggies etc. mmmmmm

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

Ok, I had a post disappear, so if it comes back I apologize for the redundcy. Shatt, you mentioned in another thread, something about your lawn mower melting icebergs. Then you condemn the harmful gases grills put in the air. So is there a difference in the exhaust of your lawn mower compared to the smoke of a grill? Don't they both contain harmful chemicals? Why is one OK and the other not?

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

Why is it Shatt, that you complain about smoke from grills putting harmful chemicals in the air, yet in another comment you mention melting icebergs with your lawn mower? Doesn't your lawn mower produce harmful chemicals that wind up in the air? Is there a dichotomy of thought here?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 11 months ago

Trinity - You mean to imply that Marion is a driveling hypocrite?

trinity 5 years, 11 months ago

you have not mentioned the smoking ban??Marion (Marion Lynn) says: Shame on you hypoctical "Greenies" for charcoal or propane grilling!Don't you know that grilling is a major source of both CO2 and carcinogenic smoke?You ban smoking in public but stand around grilles like a bunch of potheads sniffing patchouli!

Shatt 5 years, 11 months ago

I dont care if people own their own property or not. A home owner should NOT be allowed to grill when it is proven that it produces harmful gases into the atmosphere. What if people walk by the house? What if the homeowner has guests over? Should they be forced into breathing that smoke? What if I am a non-griller (which I am), and a friend invites me over for some steaks? Why should I be forced to breathe in his grill smoke, or eat a steak laced with the carcinogens from the smoke?

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

Rammy:I have not mentioned the smoking ban and have confined my comments entirely to the deadly character of smoke produced by grilling, grilled food and wood-fired cooking devices.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

rammy (Anonymous) says: poor marionstill bitter about the smoking ban!!I love the smoking ban:::and i grill several times a week::so bite me"Marion writes:No , thanks!Since you grill several times a week, your body is full of carcinogens and poisons.What gives you the right to force other people to breathe the deadly smoke which your grilling produces?

Shatt 5 years, 11 months ago

Its what happens to me when I am FORCED to walk through someone's death and cancer causing grill smoke.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 5 years, 11 months ago

Shatt, what does your online screen name mean? Is it short for your real name or are you referring to sh!t?

rammy 5 years, 11 months ago

poor marionstill bitter about the smoking ban!!I love the smoking ban.........and i grill several times a week......so bite me

Shatt 5 years, 11 months ago

Just the other day, I was walking down Indiana with my dog and I was forced to walk thru somebody's deadly grill smoke. How rude is that? Here is this guy with his stupid little apron on, grilling out in his front yard. The wind blowing right towards the sidewalk. Why should I be forced to walk through that? People should have some respect.

Shatt 5 years, 11 months ago

NOT TRUE! Marion and I are very concerned for the well being of citizens all over this country...and world. We feel that it is a shame that so many people have to ruin the fresh clean air of our environment by pumping carcinogenic coal and propane smoke out into the air, just so they can glutton over a charred piece of meat. People seem so concerned about the local factory pumping out smoke, and the local slaughterhouse... Yet those same people are the ones that keep the slaughterhouse in business on their weekend environmental destruction adventures manning the BBQ grill. I just dont get it. Such a tragedy.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 5 years, 11 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says: Even going Downtown I am forced to breathe air polluted by no fewer than five and maybe six wood-fired ovens and smokers, operated by restuaruants, one of which claims to be Oh!; So Green And Good And Healthy!These smokers and ovens often create a fog of foul-smelling and poisonous wood smoke which hovers in Downtown like a Cloud of Death.******************All of this nonsense speak from someone who opposes the smoking ban. As long as Marion is happy with his chosen manner of smoke inhalation death, I guess we shouldn't ask questions. It is true that his happiness and welfare are more important than the genreal public's, right?!?!?

blue73harley 5 years, 11 months ago

I do like to cook out on the grill.I tried to cook in on the grill once but the darn smoke detector kept going off. HBD R_I!

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

mom_of_three (Anonymous) says:"My step dad has a natural gas grill, and an electric smoker. He loves to cook (and my mom doesn't mind at all). He makes the best smoked turkey (the only turkey my eldest will eat) and ribs. Don't know what we would do without a grill."Marion writes:I know what you would be doing without a grill!You would not be poisoning and thereby abusing and endangering your children by feeding them food containing the carcinogenic and poisonous products of wood smoke.Forcing children to breathe the smoke from grills and smokers should be classified as child abuse and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!

sgtwolverine 5 years, 11 months ago

I had some tasty grilled food when I was in Kansas last year. It was so good.Anyway, I don't cook out on the grill, but that's only because my culinary skills are marginal at best. I leave the grill for people who are actually good at using it.Oh, and sue, I can see you're Really_Invested in the birthday notice.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 11 months ago

"But I don't think I would have ever dreamed that I would see posters complain about a grilled hamburger or rack of ribs..." AutieMarion isn't complaining. He's trying to be funny. He is still smarting after the smoking ban (even though he doesn't even live in Lawrence) and his crushing and humiliating defeat in the Doggie Wars of last year. He smokes cigs like a crackfiend, so it is doubtful he gives a rats rear end about grill smoke.

vpete69 5 years, 11 months ago

Okay Marion, you finally made me lose it. With the coffee that was spit all over my keyboard, I'm not sure I can muster up any more mockery on this thread....for at least 5 minutes. lol

trinity 5 years, 11 months ago

ya need to get out more, oldenuf. i taught myself to grill years&years ago 'cos i love grilled food and didn't want to have to be at the mercy of anybody else to do it! and i'm a charcoal and/or hardwood only griller. no propane, gas, whatev those things are-just not interested. used one once at a friend's house; i was not impressed. oh yeah, and happy BERFday to the resident reticent person! :) thanks for the tip ss-you gonna grill 'im something? :)

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

No one should be forced to breathe the ejecta of grilling, which contains all manner of poisonous and carcinogenic chemicals.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

Hubby loves to grill and would do so in the winter, if he could. We use propane (shame on us), but even a couple of our teenagers like to grill. Am not too good with veggies on the grill, although I have done potatoes, and my husband loves to do corn on the cob. But we are getting better. My step dad has a natural gas grill, and an electric smoker. He loves to cook (and my mom doesn't mind at all). He makes the best smoked turkey (the only turkey my eldest will eat) and ribs. Don't know what we would do without a grill.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

Sometimes when walking down the public sidewalks, I am forced to breathe the deadly and carcinogenic smoke from the grill of someone raping the environment with a charcoal grill, as that lethal fog drifts uncontrolled through the already damaged atmosphere.

vpete69 5 years, 11 months ago

I also support the banning of grills, and fully approve of the following article:http://www2.ljworld.com/onthestreet/2005/jul/17/burn/

Shatt 5 years, 11 months ago

Ban grills. And any other C02 and death smoke producing cooking machine.http://www.banbbqgrills.com

le 5 years, 11 months ago

And how big is your POON ...annie? See: jackthetattoomaniac (.com)

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

I see a lot of differing opinions on these pages and enjoy the banter and like to think I may learn something from all this. But I don't think I would have ever dreamed that I would see posters complain about a grilled hamburger or rack of ribs..all cooked in the tradition of man for thousands of years. Hmm? I guess there should be no more ghost stories or singing around the campfires for those boy scouts anymore?

Shatt 5 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, Mr. Restaurant...just keep pumping your smoke outside so I have to breathe it. I have an idea if you really want to be green. Pump all that death smoke back into your own restaurant so your tree hugging patrons can breathe it while they eat. Maybe then they will see and feel what the by product of their grilled chicken caesar really is.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 11 months ago

Shatt and Marion ought to get a room so they can enlighten each other with their very poor attempts at satire.Now, if you will, I must go throw more carbon credits on my tire fire.

Shatt 5 years, 11 months ago

The burning of coal in peoples back yards is a violation of human rights. Nobody should be forced to breathe the carcinogen laden smoke of a BBQ grill. Especially mother earth. How dare you violate my rights just to entertain you and your elite friends.

Shatt 5 years, 11 months ago

I agree 100% with Marion. I love how liberals only fight for certain causes when it is convenient for them, and when it doesn't directly affect them. Grilling is a perfect example. "I can't understand why that guy is driving an SUV! Ugh! Hey guys, want to go burn some coal in my backyard and cook some burgers?"

Tony Kisner 5 years, 11 months ago

Best snoopy joke ever - Snoopy to Woodstock. "How do you grill a sword fish?" - Snoops Answer - "Ask it a lot of tough questions.."Both Snoop and Woodstock fall from dog house laughing.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

TOB:The information I have posted is accurate and correct.You do not have the right to force me to breathe the poisonous, carcinogenic and deadly smoke produced by your primitive cooking techniques.Further, you do not have he right to add to the CO2 content of the atmosphere merely to satisfy your petty needs.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 11 months ago

Oh yeah uranus, I love to slather my meat.... with bbq sauce! And the smoke I love the smoke! Grillin' and chillin'!

oldvet 5 years, 11 months ago

Marion says: "What about the children?"You cannibal, you!!!!!I swore off of propane years ago... mine is directly connected to the natural gas supply... never run out of gas half-way through a cooking session...Nothing better than a chunk of room-temperature vegetarian hitting my hot grill!!!!

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 11 months ago

Ol' Nicky Danger is trying to be cute today. As usual, he fails with his cut 'n paste postings.

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

Caution: the grilling of this meat and consuming it may cause dizziness, nausea, high blood pressure, blurred vision, vertigo, thoughts of sucide or gambling, liver disease, vomiting, fatigue, on and on and on. Do not drink alcohol or operate machinery while eating. Unless consuming tongue in cheek.

i_tching 5 years, 11 months ago

People are eating lighter these days, and what could be better for you than grilled cat meat?

sunflower_sue 5 years, 11 months ago

Almost forgot...I Really_Insist that it is someone's birthday!Regret to_Inform you who it is...He's a Regular_Ingenuous,Righteously_Indifferent,and Respectably_Incurable.(but you didn't hear it from me)

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

You do not have the right to pollute the air I breathe with your carcinogenic and poisonous charcoal smoke.You do not have the right to force me to breathe the smelly and deadly byproducts of your primitive cooking techniques!Charcoal grilling causes cancer through primary smoke!http://healthychild.org/resources/chemical-pop/polycyclic_aromatic_hydrocarbons/From the citation:"Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are a group of over 100 different chemicals that are formed as byproducts of combustion (burning) of coal, oil, gas, garbage, tobacco, foods and other organic substances.""Most people are exposed to some PAHs through the food they eat, especially foods that have been grilled, barbecued or smoked."http://www.helium.com/items/715531-grilling-backyard-activity-couldFrom the citation:"The other carcinogen is heterocyclic aromatic amine (HAA). This chemical forms when the muscle is subjected to very high temperatures causing the breakdown of a particular amino acid in the meat. This reaction could also take place by burning the meat while cooking indoors, but charcoal grills are blamed for creating conditions for the formation of both these chemicals due to the lack of control on the heat. Gas grills are not better, just somewhat more easily adjusted."

sunflower_sue 5 years, 11 months ago

I love to cook on the grill. Chicken and beef mostly. Veggies and corn on the cob. If I have a nice steak, I'm not letting my hubby near it. He has killed too many expensive steaks because he's a lazy grill watcher. He just drinks beer and yaps until everything is up in flames. I love burgers stuffed with blue cheese on the grill. Maybe some kebabs...Souvlaki is good. When we camp, everything is on the grill...even the biscuits!

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 11 months ago

Autie - Thanks! I love me some fresh dill and lemon on fish. Hopefully, I can get out of the house this weekend and catch some crappie and give this a whirl."My wife tells me I never do it twice the same way but it doesn't matter."Hehehe. Yes, I'm 12 years old.

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

Bob, on the crappie my best advice would be to experiment. What I do is take a fillet and drizzle it with lemon juice, sprinkle it with dill; then roll it up in a good size spinach leaf..or a corn husk works to..I use one of those expanded metal, wire plate things from the Wal Mart..place it to the side of the coals for a brief..I have done this with all types of fish..shrimp, scallops..depending, maybe add some bacon..My wife tells me I never do it twice the same way but it doesn't matter. And all the comments about CO2 or pollution..bite me..we're discussing good eats/cooking. I'm a pretty green guy most of the time and my outdoor cooking is one grain of sand on a very large beach.

Finding_Uranus 5 years, 11 months ago

If you want the most awesome anything-you-could-ever-want-for-BBQ shopping experience, go to: http://www.smokenfire.com/ ..........while you're there, make sure to get the "Blues Hog" BBQ sauce......I'm telling you this is THE best BBQ sauce you will ever slather on your meat! But it is a BBQ paradise----Smoke-N-Fire that is.

countrygirl 5 years, 11 months ago

I grill a lot. I find the time outside away from everyone rather relaxing. I did burgers on the grill last night and I have some inch thick pork chops that are going to be grilled for supper tonight.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 11 months ago

Nick Danger - Seriously, please take ACG's advice.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

Using propane; a form of natural gas to grill, wastes a valuable non-renewable energy source which is used world-wide for heating!Grill a steak, freeze a child!What about the children?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 11 months ago

Grill'n and Smok'n. That is where it is at. Goodness. This week I've already grilled burgers, brats, and chicken. This weekend, if the weather holds, it shall be pork butt. Smoked all day long. Beer butt chicken for Sunday supper.For some reason, I feel the need to second Autie... no propane or propane accessories at my place. Autie - Interesting on the crappie wrapped in spinach. Whole crappie? A couple minutes on each side?As far as carbon credits... I've got a trashbag full of them. Al Gore's 747 flew over my house as he was on his way from New York to Sydney to give his one hour power point presentation. He may have done a little snorkeling or kangaroo watching as well. Anyhow, those carbon credits were just falling from the sky.

acg 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm a woman and I love to grill. I usually do it better than my hubby, too, because he has yet to learn the fine art of grill patience. I watch the BBQU guy on Sundays on PBS for tips. That guy is a grilling genius. Oh, and Marion, can't you go play in traffic or something?

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

Shame on you hypoctical "Greenies" for charcoal or propane grilling!Don't you know that grilling is a major source of both CO2 and carcinogenic smoke?You ban smoking in public but stand around grilles like a bunch of potheads sniffing patchouli!http://www.foodreference.com/html/a-chargrl-warn.htmlFrom the citation:"Barbecue grills can be problematic for two reasons. First, both charcoal and wood burn "dirty," producing not only hydrocarbons but also tiny soot particles that pollute the air and can aggravate heart and lung problems. Secondly, the grilling of meat can form two kinds of potentially carcinogenic compounds: polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and heterocyclic amines (HCAs)."http://environment.about.com/od/health/a/charcoal_grills.htmFrom the citation:"Both briquettes and lump charcoal create air pollution. Lump charcoal, made from charred wood to add flavor, also contributes to deforestation and adds to the greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Charcoal briquettes do have the benefit of being made partly from sawdust (a good use of waste wood), but popular brands may also contain coal dust, starch, sodium nitrate, limestone and borax."Hmmmmm....................................The Left shows itself for what it is!Again.

Poon 5 years, 11 months ago

People who own large grills only do so to make up for other shortcommings.

JJE007 5 years, 11 months ago

I hate to cook out on the grill. I don't look good in stripes.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Led Bodine says...see: jackthetattoomaniac (.com) I`m breakin my anonymity....and the rules...now you have good cause to ban me....my post disappear anyway ! jackthetattoomaniac (.com)

autie 5 years, 11 months ago

Two to three times a week. With charcoal and assorted hardwoods. No propane or propane accessories at my house. Any meat..favs being of course ribeye, filet, babybacks, cornish hens or maybe crappie rolled in spinach leaves and slow smoked..all vegatables..about anything except scrambled eggs..The signature dish according to momma: Slow smoked cornish hens, stuffed with Poppy's own apricot stuffing with one of those German white wines with the cat on the label.

ontheotherhand 5 years, 11 months ago

OldEnuf, you live in a very small world if you do not know women who grill. Just cooked regular ol' burgers on the grill last night. Grilled chicken (tequila lime marinade) and thinly-sliced potatoes last week.Where is the best place to get a propane tank refill for the grill? (Yes, yes, I am too lazy to do charcoal!) Who is the most reasonably priced?

GSWtotheheart 5 years, 11 months ago

I grill, so do 3 out of my 4 female friends. The guys are always sitting around drinking beer or playing catch with the kids so we grill. I've been known to do kabobs of anything imaginable, steaks, salmon w/lemon in the middle of winter, marinated chicken, etc. I love to grill!

cool 5 years, 11 months ago

you bet - last nite steak with a whole grilled tomato.'tuscan style' like Peter Luger NY restaurant.a little packet of olive oil, garlic, rosemary in a foil tentthen chop up the tomato with melted flavor oil and serve with the steak & chopped up tomato.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 11 months ago

They asked four WOMEN about grilling. I've never known a woman to grill - ever.Me: Last night it was ocean perch on the Kenmore, high heat, salt & pepper. Served up with a very nice pilaf (also my creation).

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Brussell sprouts on the grill smothered in a buttery sauce is quite good..you should try it...if you like the sprouts you will be pleasantly surprised! But I do most of my cookin in the bedroom!

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 11 months ago

I think I'll use a few carbon credits to grill a nicely aged ribeye this evening. How many carbon credits go into the making (or consuming) of the red wine I'll enjoy with it?

trinity 5 years, 11 months ago

i am a grillin' kind of gal...even if i have to put on a coat&steer clear of snowflakes! :)

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

I am going to start selling my very own "carbon credits", with which proceeds I will invest in things like machine guns and gold.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 11 months ago

I don't care how many carbon credits it takes. Man make fire, man cook meat, man happy!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 11 months ago

What?Do you realize how many carbon credits it takes to grill a steak?Wake up people..

ohjayhawk 5 years, 11 months ago

My wife and were just saying the other day that we didn't know what we did before we got our grill.

armyguy 5 years, 11 months ago

Freshly grilled Camel is very good, with a side of cobra, but you have to keep the camel spiders away. It would be better if I could have real beer with it, but Coors NA will have to do.