Agency: United Way of Douglas County
Contact: Sarah Pierrelee at Vista@unitedwaydgco.org or at (785) 843-6626, ext. 375
The United Way of Douglas County brings community resources together to support a better life for residents by focusing on improvements in health, education, and financial stability. It is time to gear up for the community wide school supplies collection drive and distribution, starting July 22 and running through Aug 11.
This project is one of the largest community-wide collaborative efforts. Did you know...
• More than 1,200 children residing in Douglas County receive school supplies from this project?
• Five social service agencies coordinate services for this project?
• Three philanthropic organizations collaborate with donations and volunteers?
• Fourteen local businesses provide donations, manpower, and/or retail space for the project?
• A faith organization supports the project with donations and distribution services?
• The Lawrence Public School District provides a facility for supplies collection and distribution?
• More than 100 volunteers interested in making an impact on educational needs of local school children are needed to make the project successful?
Plan now to help at one of the ten collection sites for the annual school supplies collection drive planned for July 22-23 and 29-30. Collected supplies will benefit The Ballard Community Center, ECKAN, The Salvation Army, and Penn House, who provide free school supplies to qualifying families in Douglas County.
This is a great opportunity for business groups, civic groups, book clubs, groups of friends, families, scout troops, sports teams, 4-H clubs, and individuals.
Volunteers will also be needed to sort collected supplies and pack the supplies into backpacks July 24, 31, Aug 4, and 7; and to help with distribution of the supplies on Aug 9, 10, and 11. Schedule now before summer calendars get busy.
To sign up to volunteer, please go to www.volunteerdouglascounty.org or contact Sarah Pierrelee at Vista@unitedwaydgco.org or at (785) 843-6626, ext. 375.
— For more volunteer opportunities, please contact Shelly Hornbaker at the United Way Roger Hill Volunteer Center at 785-865-5030, ext. 301 or at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.volunteerdouglascounty.org.