• Construction, which began on Oct. 14, will continue on the intersection of Sixth and George Williams Way. Construction will include work on the existing median and the addition of a traffic signal. The first phase of construction will be in effect until Oct. 25. Eastbound traffic will be reduced to one lane and westbound traffic will be reduced to one through lane, one left turn lane and one right turn lane.
• Traffic has been moved to the newly constructed pavement on the west side of Iowa Street to allow for reconstruction of the original pavement on the east side of the roadway. Traffic will still only have one lane in each direction, but this shift signals the start of the next phase of the Iowa Street reconstruction project. The city will shift traffic after rush hour on Thursday. The project is on schedule to be completed in late November.
• Through traffic has been opened on Wakarusa Drive. Lane closures to the outside lanes will remain while construction occurs on Oread West Drive and the sidewalks on the east and west sides of Wakarusa Drive.
• City maintenance crews will begin pavement patching on Kasold, from Harvard to Bob Billings, starting Monday. There will be signed, single-lane closures during work hours, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• The city will begin a water line project Monday on Highland Drive, from Oxford to Harvard. There will be no parking and the road will be closed to through traffic, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
• Because of the renovation and expansion of the Lawrence Public Library, there are intermittent closures of the street in the 700 block of Vermont or Kentucky when crews need to unload materials for construction.
• The city of Lawrence will replace a water main on Ponderosa from East 27th Street to East 28th Terrace. There will be no parking, and the road will be closed to through traffic from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
• Garney Construction will be installing waterline and constructing a metering station for the City of Baldwin and Douglas County Rural Water District No. 4. Installation of the watermain will commence at O’Connell Road and Prairie Terrace and continue south approximately 2,000 feet north of 1100 Road on the city-owned property for the future Wakarusa Wastewater Treatment Plant. The project also includes the replacement of an existing Rural Water District waterline along 1175 Road from 1600 Road to 1500 Road (Haskell Avenue). Residents can expect to see construction equipment, materials, and construction activity within public right-of-way and utility easements. No access restrictions, lane closures, or detours are planned as part of this project.
U.S. Highway 56
Work on the U.S. 56 multibridge replacement project is scheduled to be completed in mid-October. In April, all lanes of eastbound and westbound U.S. 56 from E. 1400 Road to Sixth Street in Baldwin City became closed to through traffic and were scheduled to remain closed during the projection’s duration. A 30-mile marked state detour route was provided. Eastbound traffic detoured via southbound U.S. 59 to northbound I-35 to northbound K-33 back to U.S. 56. Westbound U.S. 56 traffic will detour via southbound K-33 to southbound I-35 to northbound U.S. 59 back to U.S. 56.