• Construction is scheduled to continue at the intersection of Sixth and George Williams Way. Construction includes work on the existing median and the addition of a traffic signal. The second phase of this project, which began Oct. 28, will close right-lane traffic in all directions. The anticipated completion of the project is Nov. 27.
• On Nov. 19, a traffic signal installation began at the Kansas Highway 10 and U.S. 40/Sixth Street interchange in West Lawrence. Project work includes the installation of traffic signals at the interchange ramps and new permanent pavement markings. Crews will complete project work during daylight hours, Monday through Friday, with some occasional Saturday work. Traffic impacts will include flagging operations through the interchange, both on U.S. 40/Sixth Street mainline lanes and the adjacent K-10 ramps, at varying intervals throughout the project. Drivers should expect delays of up to 15 minutes and are encouraged to use alternate routes if possible. The overall scheduled completion date for the project is mid-January 2014, weather permitting.
• Utilities crews will continue a water-line project on Highland Drive, from Oxford to Harvard. There will be no parking and the road will be closed to through traffic from Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Utilities crews are also working on a water main on Ponderosa from East 27th Street to East 28th Terrace. There will be no parking and the road will be closed to through traffic from Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
• Because of the renovation and expansion of the Lawrence Public Library, there are intermittent closures of the street in the 700 block of Vermont or Kentucky when crews need to unload materials for construction.
South Lawrence Trafficway
• Earlier this month, a three-year construction project began to complete the six-mile, four-lane Kansas Highway 10/ outh Lawrence Trafficway freeway. The project will move existing K-10 onto a new alignment that will begin at the south junction of the U.S. 59 and K-10 interchange and reconnect with existing K-10 in East Lawrence. Construction work on the project will be completed in phases. Each phase includes specific work and advance notification will be sent under separate cover for each phase of construction, including planned traffic impacts. Emery Sapp & Sons Inc. (Columbia, Mo.) is the primary contractor on this expansion project with a total contract cost of $129.8 million. The overall scheduled completion date for the project is Fall 2016.