• Construction is scheduled to continue at the intersection of Sixth and George Williams Way. Construction includes work on the existing median and the addition of a traffic signal. The second phase of this project, which began Oct. 28, will close right-lane traffic in all directions. The anticipated completion of the project is Nov. 22.
• Traffic has been moved to the newly constructed pavement on the west side of Iowa Street to allow for reconstruction of the original pavement on the east side of the roadway. Traffic will still only have one lane in each direction, but this shift signals the start of the next phase of the Iowa Street reconstruction project. The city will shift traffic after rush hour on Thursday. The project is on schedule to be completed in mid- to late-November.
• Utilities crews will continue a water-line project on Highland Drive, from Oxford to Harvard. There will be no parking and the road will be closed to through traffic from Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Utilities crews are also working on a water main on Ponderosa from East 27th Street to East 28th Terrace. There will be no parking and the road will be closed to through traffic from Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
• Because of the renovation and expansion of the Lawrence Public Library, there are intermittent closures of the street in the 700 block of Vermont or Kentucky when crews need to unload materials for construction.
South Lawrence Trafficway
• Earlier this month, a three-year construction project began to complete the six-mile, four-lane Kansas Highway 10/ outh Lawrence Trafficway freeway. The project will move existing K-10 onto a new alignment that will begin at the south junction of the U.S. 59 and K-10 interchange and reconnect with existing K-10 in East Lawrence. Construction work on the project will be completed in phases. Each phase includes specific work and advance notification will be sent under separate cover for each phase of construction, including planned traffic impacts. Emery Sapp & Sons Inc. (Columbia, Mo.) is the primary contractor on this expansion project with a total contract cost of $129.8 million. The overall scheduled completion date for the project is Fall 2016.