City commissioners will consider accepting the low bid for the city's proposed 181,000-square-foot recreation center in northwest Lawrence.
Lawrence-based Gene Fritzel Construction Company submitted the low bid at $10.5 million. City commissioners also are being asked to start the process of issuing to debt to pay for the facility. City officials are recommending the city issue $21.5 million in debt, which will cover the construction of the building, infrastructure, architects fees and other expenses. Tuesday's action won't finalize the debt issuance, but will move the process forward.
• Recognition of Lawrence Sister City, Iniades, Greece, delegation.
• Presentation of the 2013 Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission Community Art Grant Awards.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
• Approve all claims.
• Approve appointments as recommended by the Mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a.) Set bid date of June 18, 2013, for the KLINK, Iowa Street — 29th Street to South City Limits, Project No. PW1301, Bid No. B1337.
b.) Set Bid Date of June 18, 2013, for Bid Number B1335 Projects UT1201–2012 to 2015 Electrical Improvements Program and UT1202-2012 Mechanical Improvements Program Contract 2.
c.) Authorize the City Manager to execute Change Order No. 1, in the amount of $24,777.55, to the construction contract with Schmidtlein Excavating, Inc., for Project UT0922CS — Airport Area Sanitary Sewer Improvements.
• Adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading:
a.) Ordinance No. 8863, allowing the possession and consumption of alcoholic liquor on certain public rights-of-way at the Arts Center Street Final Friday/Art Tougeau Parade decorating event, the Art Tougeau Parade After Party event, the Tour of Lawrence, and the Bike MS event, in downtown Lawrence at various dates in 2013.
b.) Ordinance No. 8865, approving a revised South Area Redevelopment Project Plan for the Ninth and New Hampshire Redevelopment District, authorizing corresponding changes in the redevelopment agreement.
c.) Ordinance No. 8866, allowing the possession and consumption of alcohol on the public right-of-way on the 100 block of E. Seventh Street and the 100 block of E. Eighth Street during the Lawrence Busker Festival, Aug. 23-25, 2013.
• Authorize the City Manager to sign a purchase order for a supplemental agreement with Landplan Engineering for professional services, in the amount of $38,900, for Project Number PW1135, Sixth and Iowa Street intersection, geometric improvements, westbound turn lane.
• Receive city manager's report
• Consider adopting the 2013-2017 Consolidated Plan and 2013 Investment Summary and consider adopting Resolution No. 7024, authorizing the Mayor to execute agreements for the 2013 CDBG and HOME programs and other such documents as may be required to be submitted to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for such programs.
• Consider the following items related to the recreation center at Rock Chalk Park, the issuance of debt for the recreation center, and the issuance of debt related to Water and Wastewater Master Plan improvements:
a.) Consider awarding bid for the construction of the recreation facility located at Rock Chalk Park to the low bidder, Gene Fritzel Construction, for $10,500,000, provided the contractor can meet the specifications outlined in the bid process
b) Consider adopting Resolution No. 7009, authorizing main trafficway improvements for streets to be improved as part of the Rock Chalk Park project
c) Consider adopting Resolution No. 7025, authorizing the sale of Series I and Series II General Obligation Temporary Notes
d) Consider adopting Resolution No. 7026, establishing the maximum annual bonding amount for water, sewer and public improvements, pursuant to Charter Ordinance No. 27, at $38,500,000.