Archive for Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Police, FBI offer $1,000 reward for information about Wednesday bank robbery

February 13, 2013, 5:37 p.m. Updated February 14, 2013, 2:15 p.m.

Police and the FBI have offered a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of a suspect in the Wednesday afternoon robbery of Lawrence Bank, 100 E. Ninth St.

A surveillance photo shows the man who robbed Lawrence Bank, 100 E. Ninth St. Wednesday afternoon. The Lawrence Police Department and the FBI have offered a $1,000 reward for information leading to an arrest of the suspect.

A still frame from surveillance video taken at Lawrence Bank, 100 E. Ninth St., during a robbery Wednesday afternoon about 4:45 p.m. The Lawrence Police Department and the FBI are investigating.

The robbery was reported about 4:45 p.m. Wednesday, after a man entered the bank alone, showed employees a handgun, and demanded cash, said Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence Police Department spokesman. Witnesses said the suspect fled on foot, headed north on New Hampshire Street.

Detectives investigating the robbery Wednesday evening said employees complied with the man's demands for money. After examining video, police said the suspect was described as a white male in his 30s, about 5-foot-7 and of average build. Earlier reports describing the suspect's clothing were contradictory, McKinley said. Lawrence police will investigate the robbery along with the FBI.

It's been more than a year since a bank robbery was reported in Lawrence. The last occurred when Central National Bank, 603 W. Ninth St., was robbed twice, on July 14 and Nov. 30, 2011. Elliott Reid Werner, 26, pleaded guilty to those robberies in December and was sentenced to more than nine years in prison.

The cash reward for information is offered by law enforcement through Crimestoppers. Anyone with information is asked to call 843-TIPS (8477).

• To view recent LJWorld crime stories, click here.

Click here to view the weekly arrest log.

Comments

irvan moore 1 year, 7 months ago

it would be nice to have a picture of the bank robber so alert citizens could keep an eye out for him (pretty sure bank should have a security camera)

Ian_Cummings 1 year, 7 months ago

The police are working with the video right now. When they release something, we'll include it with the story. Ian LJW

otto 1 year, 7 months ago

I have a camera system and I could download a pic off of it within 5 minutes.

Rick Aldrich 1 year, 7 months ago

Then why wasn't you at that bank waiting when it was robbed.

otto 1 year, 7 months ago

Let me know which one you are going to hit next and I will make sure there is plenty of help.

Anthony Mall 1 year, 7 months ago

No disguise?? Wig, makeup, not even glasses with the fake nose!!! I'm very disappointed...

Kent Noble 1 year, 7 months ago

With that camouflage pullover and hat, I'm sure they won't reconize his uncovered face! What a dumb a_s!!!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 7 months ago

It was the guy in the picture. When do I get my reward?

mdlund0 1 year, 7 months ago

Hey! The bank's got one of the official Kansas handguns prohibited signs right on the door... are they saying that didn't stop the robber? Maybe it really does only keep law-abiding citizens from defending themselves.

gatekeeper 1 year, 7 months ago

Stupid comment! Having a family member that's worked at a bank for 23 years, let me explain something to you. They don't want ANYONE to come into the bank with a gun. Some conceal carry idiot, with good intentions, could take a simple robbery where they robber is just going to grab cash and run and create a real scene where customers or employees get hurt. Most of the time, the robber is just going to take the money and run. First rule working in a bank is that the money is insured and no amount of money is worth risking anyone's life over. I've had to deal with a family member being robbed at gun point and am glad no one tried to be all macho and just gave the guy the cash and ran. My loved one is safe and alive because no one tried to play hero.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 7 months ago

Therefore, there is no reason for anyone to bring in a gun, which makes the sign prohibiting them perfectly reasonable and sane, right?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 7 months ago

I get it. All you got to do is stick a gun in your pocket, and you're automatically endowed with the infallible judgement of when to start a shootout. Gosh, how have I been missing that all these years!?!

mdlund0 1 year, 7 months ago

Well, if they "don't want ANYONE to come into the bank with a gun", why did the criminal just ignore it? Seems like a pretty ineffective sign if it's supposed to keep everyone with a gun out. I would think that the criminals with guns would be the people that the bank would MOST want to keep out. Why bother worrying about citizens who have been trained, extensively background checked, and fingerprinted when you have armed criminals running amok? Just because a person has a CCH license does not mean that they are a fame seeking vigilante. The safety of your loved one has nothing to do with that sign on the door and may be compromised in the future because of it.

gatekeeper 1 year, 7 months ago

Please explain - "The safety of your loved one has nothing to do with that sign on the door and may be compromised in the future because of it."

You say that a person with a CCH isn't a fame seeking vigilante. OK, so how is my family member's safety compromised if someone packing heat legally isn't allowed to carry the gun into the bank? If they have a gun and don't use it to stop a robbery, no need to ever carry a gun in the bank. If they do use it and don't kill or disarm the robber, they have put my family member's safety in jeopardy. You make no sense.

Why don't you go into your bank and ask them why they don't want you bringing weapons into their establishment??? You'll get the exact same answer. You don't need a gun to conduct business at the bank. They don't want you to attempt to stop a robbery with your gun, possibly causing injury or harm to employees who are trained to just hand over the money. Most robbers don't use their weapons because employees are trained to hand over the money.

mdlund0 1 year, 7 months ago

If you have a concealed carry permit, you carry a gun to protect your own life or the life of another when you or that other person is imminently at risk of grave bodily harm or death. Robbery does not necessarily qualify, it all depends on the circumstances (e.g. if the robber shows a gun but never removes it from his belt, no one is at imminent risk of death and no one should be shooting at anyone). Of course, if you think that robbery always qualifies as a life threatening encounter, you should be glad that a fellow law abiding citizen would stand up to protect your loved one in the face of danger, after all, your loved one was facing imminent death anyway. If you think that robbery only occasionally qualifies, then why don't you think that a CCH permit holder would be able to tell the difference as you would and act accordingly?

As for my bank, there is no sign on the door and I routinely carry in. I've had no problems. Not every bank makes such ignorant decisions as this one and you. The fact that "most robbers don't use their weapons" is not impressive to me, because some do.

gatekeeper 1 year, 7 months ago

If you check other states CC laws, you'll see that many don't allow CC in any depository institutions.

You can be an idiot and take your gun inside. They'll tell you to leave and if you don't, they'll have you arrested for criminal tresspassing.

Just think of the employees at banks who are trained to always pay attn to those that come inside. They see any sign of a gun, what do you think their first reaction will be? You may want to take your gun everywhere, but on private property you need to respect what they want.

You want a bank where everyone's packing, start your own bank.

mdlund0 1 year, 7 months ago

Just because other states have laws doesn't mean they're good ones. I DO want a bank where everyone's packing (in fact, I'd prefer it if everyone who was eligible carried a 1911 locked and cocked openly on their hip at all times), I happen to bank somewhere where carrying is allowed, I carry frequently to my banking institution, and I have never had a single problem. I respect what private property owners want even if I think it's stupid, and when I see these signs I heckle them appropriately and take my business elsewhere. Being someone who is trained and has been background checked, I do not need a lecture from some ignorant bystander on what my responsibilities are. I never said I banked at this institution and I never will. I'm criticizing it because someone ignorantly posted a sign prohibiting handguns and then they got robbed by a guy with a handgun. I think it's hilarious and I enjoy pointing out the irony and how ridiculous it is.

Russell Fryberger 1 year, 7 months ago

With all of the HD cameras on the market why can't banks have cameras that show better photos of these creeps?