• The reconstruction on Wakarusa Drive is now north of Bob Billings Parkway north of Oread Drive. A signed detour will take traffic west on Legends Drive, south on Research Park Drive and east on Bob Billings Parkway. Wakarusa is expected to be open mid to late September.
• Ninth Street from Tennessee Street to Kentucky Street will be under construction for removal of the old roadway and repaving, new pavement markings, curb and gutter replacement, new sidewalks, the addition of some off-street parking and new traffic signals at Ninth and Tennessee Streets. Construction will be completed by the end of August to early September. There will be lane closures, and speed limits will be reduced to 20 mph through the construction zone. Through traffic will be maintained at all times but motorists can expect delays.
• Iowa Street, from 29th Street to the south city limits, will be under construction for removal of the old roadway and repaving. In addition, areas of curb and gutter will be replaced, sidewalk will be constructed where current gaps exist and a concrete median will be constructed on the west side of the 33rd Street and Iowa intersection. There will be lane closures for the repaving but through traffic will be maintained at all times. Speed limits will be reduced through the construction zone and drivers can expect delays. Construction is scheduled to be completed by Aug 31.
• City street maintenance crews will replace a section of the curb and gutter along the south side of West 23rd Street from Iowa Street to Louisiana Street. Right-lane restrictions will be in place on eastbound West 23rd Street on an intermittent basis from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. during the week.
• The city of Lawrence will replace a water main on Oxford Road from Iowa Street to Hilltop Drive. There will be no parking, and the road will be closed to through traffic from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• A water main will be replaced on 19th Street from Maple Lane to Harper Avenue. The street will remain open but intermittent lane restrictions along 19th Street and temporary access restrictions at the intersections of Maple Lane and Harper Avenue will be necessary to complete the project. Construction is scheduled to be completed by September.
• The intersection of 15th and Iowa streets is open to traffic in all directions. Construction remains on Iowa Street north of the intersection. Crews will first work on the southbound lanes of Iowa Street from 15th Street to Harvard Road and then work on the northbound lanes. Traffic will be down to one lane in each direction until the project is completed in mid-November.
• Kentucky Street from Seventh to Eighth streets is down to one lane. There will be intermittent closures of Kentucky Street when crews need to unload materials for the Lawrence Public Library or parking garage construction.
• Crack sealing is scheduled north of Sixth Street in the neighborhoods east and west of Monterey Way. There may be temporary lane closures during working hours.
• Developers for the Ninth and New Hampshire street hotel construction project have pulled a right-of-way permit valid from July 17 to Sept. 10. Traffic will move in all directions at the intersection, but lanes will shift and in some cases turn lanes will be removed during the project timeline. The alley behind the project will be closed during at least the first phase of the project.
U.S. Highway 56
• All lanes of eastbound and westbound U.S. Highway 56 from East 1400 Road to Sixth Street in Baldwin City will be closed to through traffic as repairs are made on the road. A 30-mile marked detour route is provided. The project is expected to be competed in mid-October prior to the Maple Leaf Festival.
Old U.S. Highway 59
• Northbound and southbound Old U.S. Highway 59 from 1000 Road to the Douglas/Franklin County line will be reduced to one lane, both directions, for resurfacing work. Traffic will be directed via a flagging operation. Project work is scheduled to be completed in late September 2013.
• Northbound and southbound East 1300 Road from North 1000 to North 650 roads will be closed to through traffic for a bridge replacement project on Old U.S. 59. Completion date: November.