Archive for Monday, February 13, 2012

6th grader submits antifreeze law to Legislature

February 13, 2012

— A Kansas 6th grader is honoring the memory of his dog by asking the Kansas Legislature to regulate antifreeze.

Aaron Coash of Wichita says his dog, Nikko, died in January after wandering from home and at some point drinking anti-freeze.

KAKE-TV reports that Nikko is one of about 10,000 animals and 1,400 children who die each year from poisoning from anti-freeze, which smells and tastes sweet.

Coash and the Humane Society of the United States wrote a bill that asked the state Legislature to require manufacturers to put a bittering agent into antifreeze. The chemical would make it less likely that anyone would accidentally drink antifreeze.

The bill was submitted Friday, and Coash is now waiting to hear back from state senators.

Comments

Roland Gunslinger 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm not coming down on a 6th grader for working with the system to right what he sees as something being wrong... but how about putting the antifreeze in an area dogs and children can't get to?

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

I had the misfortune some time ago of reversing my car and noticing that I had left quite a large puddle of antifreeze that any dog could easily lap up.

I forget exactly where I had been planning to go to, instead I drove straight to the shop and had it repaired.

gsxr600 2 years, 10 months ago

Or maybe just add a bittering ingredient. That would cover all the bases instead of relying on people not to be morons.

gatekeeper 2 years, 10 months ago

I recently had the water pump start to go out on one of my vehicles. Didn't know I had been leaking antifreeze. Thank goodness I use the low-tox type. I could have leaked antifreeze anywhere and an animal could have gotten into it.

How terrible is it to require everyone use the low-tox version or put a bittering agent into the regular type so no animals or kids have to die? Huh? An ounce of prevention.......

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

If you rely solely on stupid people to act smart, you will always be disappointed. We need to rely on multiple strategies. Yours is reasonable, but not enough by itself. This is a good precautionary step too.

JerryStubbs 2 years, 10 months ago

Right, but some dogs defy efforts to contain them, at least on occasion. I once had a dog that was a regular hodini. It would usually take at least a couple of escapes before I could figure out what he was doing to get out of his fence. I'd fix it, and then he would begin plotting a new strategy. It's just in some dog's nature, I guess.

Or sometimes people make a mistake that lets them loose.

Dogs aren't the only animals that could be poisoned.

It shouldn't be that difficult to make anti-freeze safer.

hagar111 2 years, 10 months ago

Jerry you guessed wrong. Your dog wasn't Hodini he was frustrated about being locked in a cage. It is not in dogs nature to try to escape it is in their nature to follow. They are pack animals and follow an Alpha dog by nature. Since you were not providing that role by simply locking your dog "in his cage" he sought to find relief for his situation. Dogs are not meant to be caged up in their "fences" they are not just for Christmas they require a great deal of care. Unfortunately to many people are not responsible enough to be dog owners and think that getting a dog and putting him "in his fence" is responsible dog ownership. Dogs need exercise every day, they need nuturing and want to follow and please. When provided with all of the things your dog needs they will follow you to the end of the earth happy and loyal to a fault. Spend time with your dog, exercise and train him/her, make them a part of your family and you will be surprised how his Hodini instincts will disappear. Seek the advice of a dog trainer . If these things are not possible then give your dog up you don't need to have a dog just so you can lock him "in his fence."

ignatius_j_reilly 2 years, 10 months ago

Considering the amount of chemicals that make their way into Kansas soil -- and then Kansas aquifers and water sources -- I think regulation of any and every chemical isn't a bad idea. Antifreeze, in particular, is widespread and commonly used -- maybe an ounce of prevention could go a long way here.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

"Coash and the Humane Society of the United States wrote a bill that asked the state Legislature to require manufacturers to put a bittering agent into antifreeze."

Adding a bittering agent would do nothing to address the issues you mentioned.

But it certainly is true that regulations concerning how such chemicals are disposed of is would be a good idea. Is there a method of disposing of antifreeze that is available to the public?

hagar111 2 years, 10 months ago

Yes you can take your antifreeze to many of your local auto repair shope and suppliers Jiffy Lube and Valvoline oil change centers takes it also.

rockchalker52 2 years, 10 months ago

Valid points from vertigo & solomon but accidents happen & the bittering agent seems like a good idea.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 10 months ago

how about congratulating a 12 year old kid for having more democratic process involvement than most people achieve in their lifetime. Pessimists, all of you.

kseagle 2 years, 10 months ago

The boy and his family need to be fined for not keeping their dog on a leash. We have a law already on the books for this entire issue. Your pet is roaming free, then you are at fault and should be ticketed. Enforce the current laws instead of creating more.

gatekeeper 2 years, 10 months ago

Oh yeah, because animals don't ever get lose from yards and get lost. What a jerk!

gccs14r 2 years, 10 months ago

The antifreeze manufacturers aren't going to make a special blend just for Kansas. What will happen is that it will be impossible to buy antifreeze here and we'll have to bootleg it from Missouri. It'd take a big state such as CA, TX, or NY enacting it to get the manufacturers to notice and do something.

Chances are good that someone put the antifreeze out to off the dog on purpose.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

That reminds me of a posting I made on this forum on October 15, 2011. The title of the article was 'What is your favorite dog trick?'

RonHolzwarth (Ron Holzwarth) replies… That reminds me of a series of events that occurred at 1400 Tennessee street in 1976. I had nothing to do with it, I was only told the details of what happened after it was all over.

The neighbors downstairs had a big dog that went woof, woof, woof very loudly all night long. It didn't really bother me, but a few of the neighbors really didn't like that happening every night at 3 and 4 AM.

The police would show up and pound on the owner's door with a billy club over and over. They had been there many, many times, always the same dog. Then the owners would take the dog inside, and it would be quiet for a while.

About an hour or so later, woof, woof, woof very loudly again, and the police would come and bang on the owner's door again.

This happened over and over for weeks. The police and some of the neighbors were getting really tired of this constant barking, and it seemed that no one could do anything about it.

One of the neighbors came up with an idea. He bought a pound of rat poison, mixed it with some hamburger, and fed it to the dog.

All was quiet for a couple days. Then woof, woof, woof, and the police showed up all over again.

I suppose someone was quite frustrated that rat poison did not solve the problem. So, the next attempt involved feeding the dog broken glass.

All was quiet for about one day, then woof, woof, woof and the police showed up again.

This all went on over and over for a period of weeks or months.

I heard it, and I clearly remember it. There was a gunshot, and the barking was never heard again.

Did the police care?

jafs 2 years, 10 months ago

That's a terrible story.

Dogs bark, it's natural for them to do so.

Also, if they're barking in the middle of the night, perhaps the owners aren't properly caring for them.

The dog should have been removed from that owner, and placed with a better one.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

That's a very good point. It wasn't the dog's fault, really. I think, but I am not really sure, that the dog's life experience was one of constantly being ignored.

As I pointed out, it didn't bother me at all. It was some of the neighbors and the police that got really tired of it.

verity 2 years, 10 months ago

This was on the local Wichita news last night---it was reported that it would add 2 cents to every dollar that antifreeze cost. Seems worth the price.

As for letting kids and dogs wander---not every principality has leash laws (rural areas, for example, of which there are many in Kansas) and kids and dogs do escape and wander about no matter how hard you try.

Whether you agree with this law or not, this young man is taking his ability to participate in government seriously. Hopefully he will become an informed voter and a responsible adult.

John Kyle 2 years, 10 months ago

How could a child submit a 'law' to the Legislature? I remember my Schoolhouse Rock- it has to be a bill before it becomes a law.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 10 months ago

I saw an episode of Forensic Files where a man killed his wife this way - apparently, antifreeze doesn't show up in autopsy reports for some reason (I can't remember why) and when mixed in low dosages, the person consuming it can't notice it's even there.

gr 2 years, 10 months ago

Ban dogs! Problem solved.

Ban everything.
Regulate everything.
Tax everything.

blindrabbit 2 years, 10 months ago

Not just a dog problem, but wildlife suffer greatly as well! Good suggestion by 6th grader, but why not replace the ethylene glycol based product with propylene glycol! Proplylene glycol has almost no toxicity, is easy to produce, has no impact on the environment from accidental (or illegal dumping issues) releases as does ethylene glycol.

blindrabbit 2 years, 10 months ago

gr 2 years, 10 months ago

Actually, several years ago it was suggested changing the product or adding a bitter agent. The 6th grader's idea was not original. I actually had thought currently they were using a different glycol and that years ago. Guess they raised the price for another reason.

And for those others, is that 2 cents to the cost or 2 cents to the price. You do realize there is a difference, right?

blindrabbit 2 years, 10 months ago

Gandalf: Still does not solve the problem of long-term toxicity of ethylene glycol (major component of most anti-freeze products) entering the aquatic ecosystem (where "taste" is not an issue) due to runnoff! Just putting a band-aid on a problem!

Jean Robart 2 years, 10 months ago

Good going Aaron! You look to have a bright future, if you have accomplished this already. I a m sorry for the loss of your dog.

labmonkey 2 years, 10 months ago

I commend the sixth grader for doing something, but I get leery whenever I see the HSUS mentioned and start wondering what else is hidden in the bill.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

Why would the humane society be up to something? They're not a terrorist organization. They're just a group of people who love animals. Nothing wrong with that. Why do so many people on this blog have to look for conspiracies?

gr 2 years, 10 months ago

Ha!

Well, maybe you're right for the most part, but not for all.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

Not all people love animals or not all people are conspiracy theorists?

labmonkey 2 years, 10 months ago

The HSUS is NOT the humane society. The are not affiliated with any humane society and are mainly a lobbying organization. They do not run any shelters and most of their money goes toward lobbying and political contributions. Their goals are more in line with PETA and the Animal Liberation Front than they are helping out homeless cats and dogs.

classclown 2 years, 10 months ago

Is antifreeze the new catch word for global warming? As in, "Due to the antifreeze taking place, this is the warmest winter on record."?