City commissioners will consider starting the process of creating a new industrial zoning category for the city.
City commissioners will ask planning commissioners to review the city’s two main industrial zoning categories and determine if a third industrial zoning category can be created that is a hybrid of the two. The city’s IG zoning district currently allows the heaviest of industrial uses, which often creates concerns from neighbors who are near an area proposed for IG zoning. The city’s IL zoning district allows lighter uses, but also allows for some types of retail development to occur. That has created concern from both neighbors and industrial developers in the past. City commissioners are asking for a review that would study if a new zoning district that permits a mix of uses more acceptable to both neighbors and industrial developers.
• Proclaim Saturday, Oct. 22, as Indigenous Food Day.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Sept. 20 and 27.
• Receive minutes from boards and commissions:
• Approve claims.
• Approve licenses recommended by the city clerk’s office.
• Approve appointments as recommended by the mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a. Set bid date of Oct. 18 for City Hall slate roof replacement.
b. Set a bid date of Oct. 25 for 23rd Street bridge replacement utilities relocation.
c. Award bids for Comprehensive Rehabilitation Program:
- 2536 Ridge Court to T & J Holdings for $22,600 for base bid and $1,900 for Alternate 1.
- 1015 Avalon to T & J Holdings for $24,605 for base bid only.
d. Award bid for future network cabling to R&R Communications at various hourly rates, not to exceed $25,000 a year.
• Authorize the mayor to execute a utility easement to Westar Energy in Burroughs Creek Linear Park for the acquisition amount of $2,247.
• Authorize the mayor to execute the agreement with Douglas County Rural Water District No. 2 for treatment and transmission of water and the sale of water.
• Authorize the mayor to sign mortgage releases for Delma Hepner, 1615 Rose Lane, and Mary Jo Spotts, 1901 Vt. Authorize the mayor to sign a Subordination Agreement for Jeanette Reiling, 1064 Home Circle.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Consider these items related to the Grandstand Sportswear and Glassware expansion project:
a. Consider adopting a resolution granting a 10-year, 65 percent property tax abatement.
b. Consider adopting on first reading an ordinance authorizing a $25,000 forgivable loan for the project.
c. Approve a performance agreement with 3840 Greenway Circle, LLC/Grandstand Sportswear setting forth the related performance requirements for the tax abatement and the forgivable loan.
• Consider approving these items related to the 8th/Penn (Poehler building) project:
a. Consider approving text amendments to the Lawrence Land Development Code and the 8th & Pennsylvania Urban Conservation Overlay District to accommodate a residential proposal for 619 E. Eighth St. that exceeds the density limit currently in the guidelines.
b. Consider rezoning about 0.56 acre from CS (strip commercial) to RM32 (multi-dwelling residential) within the 8th & Pennsylvania Urban Conservation Overlay District at 619 E. Eighth St.
c. Consider rezoning about 0.27 acre from CS (strip commercial) to RM12D (multi-dwelling residential) within the 8th & Pennsylvania Urban Conservation Overlay District at 804-806 Pa.
d. Consider authorizing the mayor to execute a development agreement with East Lawrence Historic Partners, LLC, and consider authorizing the city manager to negotiate with Bartlett & West for final plans for public improvements for East Lawrence Industrial Historic District.
• Consider these items related to the Varsity House project at 1043 Ind.:
a. Conduct public hearing and consider making a determination based on a consideration of all relevant factors that there is/is not a feasible and prudent alternative to the proposed project at 1043 Ind. and that the proposed project includes/does not include all possible planning to minimize harm to the listed properties.
b. Consider rezoning about 0.80 acre from U-KU (University-Kansas University) to RM32-PD (multi-dwelling residential-planned development) at 1043 Ind.
c. Consider approving a Preliminary Development Plan to move the Varsity House and development of a multi-dwelling structure at 1043 Ind.
• Consider initiating a text amendment to Chapter 20 of the City Code, Land Development Code, to review the uses of the existing industrial districts and explore creating a new district that permits uses with intensities between the IL (limited industrial) district and IG (general industrial) district.
• Consider a motion to recess into executive session for 30 minutes to consult with attorneys for the city on matters deemed privileged in the attorney-client relationship. The commission’s regular meeting will resume in the commission meeting room at the conclusion of the executive session.