Archive for Thursday, September 30, 2010

Rush admits he ‘messed up pretty bad’

September 30, 2010

— Third-year Indiana Pacers guard Brandon Rush, who was handed a five-game suspension by the NBA league office this offseason for testing positive for marijuana for a third time, admitted at Pacers’ Media Day that he “messed up pretty bad.”

Rush told the Indianapolis Star that the issues that led to the three failed tests are behind him.

“I’m making a lot of changes in my life," former Kansas University standout Rush told the Indy Star. “I’m moving away from people I used to kick it with all the time and just getting my mind right. You only get one shot at this, and I know I messed up pretty bad.”

Rush was asked directly if he had a drug problem.

“No. I don't think I have a problem at all,” said Rush, who averaged 9.4 points a game his second season in the league.

He said he was going to change his lifestyle, including some of the individuals he associates with.

"It's real tough. I've been knowing my friends for a long time. But it's that time. When I made this mistake, it's time to move on to be a grown man," he told the Star.

Rush started 64 games last season.

“I think I’ll be in the doghouse for a while," he said. "The way (Pacers coach Jim O'Brien) plays, whoever is the hot hand, he's going to play. I've been working on my game this whole summer. I'm going to continue to do that throughout my suspension and go out there and make a point.”

Comments

Mary Darst 4 years, 6 months ago

Really? And how do you know that? Have you actually seen EVERYONE of them smoke weed.

amesn 4 years, 6 months ago

Hey at least its weed I mean come on really...he could be getting drunk and fighting in bars and beating up on women but the boy prob just enjoyed a blunt here and there while playing some video games. It sounds like he has deleted his dealer's number and is making an effort to change! I would consider him having a 'drug problem' if he was twacked out on coke or buzzed on opiates to where he had developed not only a mental addiction but physical as well. Never heard of anyone having physical withdrawals from weed :) Still got a Rush Crush!

mbulicz 4 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, marijuana destroys lives! Just look at Michael Phelps, the past three US presidents, Ted Turner, William Shakespeare, Joan of Arc, Carl Sagan, Michael Bloomberg, Stephen King, Arnold Schwarzenneger, Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln, James Madison, James Monroe, Franklin Pierce, Zachary Taylor, George Washington, Newt Gingrich, Al Gore, Ed Koch, Sarah Palin, Jerry Moran, Jesse Ventura, Bill Gates, Francis Ford Coppola, Prince Harry, Pablo Picasso, Steve Jobs, just about every modern musician and artist, and the forty-six percent of the US population that has tried it!

Obviously, Rush messed up if he put himself in the company of all THOSE degenerates.

Practicality 4 years, 6 months ago

Tried it and stopped is different from being a persistent, live in the basement of your mom's house at age 35, no job, unmotivitated loser. Maybe these individuals you mentioned realized the error of their ways and understood there is more to life than trying to escape reality. Hopefully, Rush can do the same.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 6 months ago

So Rush is living in his mom's basement, and has prematurely aged to 35? I guess I missed that section of the article.

mbulicz 4 years, 6 months ago

So all the examples you see are different than the stereotype you've constructed? You don't say!

So of those, which ones tried it once? I'm dying to know. Since you're privy to such information, I am sure historians and biographers would love you to set them straight on many of those people!

Kontum1972 4 years, 6 months ago

u left out father guido sarducci...and Bono & the Boys

phoggyjay 4 years, 6 months ago

When cannabis finally becomes legal, all this drug talk will stop. Hopefully that day will come soon.

Adrienne Sanders 4 years, 6 months ago

Seriously, I don't know why anyone cares if athletes smoke pot. It it certainly NOT a performance enhancing drug!

1029 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm not sure about that when it comes to basketball.

Haiku_Cuckoo 4 years, 6 months ago

As someone who struggled with marijuana addiction in his youth, I hope that Rush gets the help he needs and gets his life back on track. He has a great opportunity in the NBA. I'd hate to see him throw it away.

werekoala 4 years, 6 months ago

Meanwhile, in the next universe over, a NASCAR driver is suspended for testing positive for having consumed the illegal drug alcohol at some point in the last month. This corrosive, dangerous liquid is commonly used by the lower classes to escape the tedium of their lives, but it causes liver disease, the death of brain cells, and increases the violent propensities of the less-evolved white race...

Scott Drummond 4 years, 6 months ago

Darn it, I thought there'd been a freeze down in the southern regions and El Rushbo had actually admitted error.

Guess too much to expect from a paid propagandist.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 6 months ago

WereKoala: death of brain cells, and increases the violent propensities of the less-evolved white race...

---Werekoala, thank you sir/madam for admitting that you are a flaming racist.

your own words condemn you.

Rush [the basketball player] shouldn't have done this because: it is illegal; it is a drug with mental and physical effects; and it's just stupid in his position with all the attention and his future play/potential earnings.
dumb.

I also licked on the headline thinking this was about Rush Limbaugh, america's anchorman.

mbulicz 4 years, 6 months ago

"Werekoala, thank you sir/madam for admitting that you are a flaming racist. "less-evolved black race" or "less evoloved asian race" would be met with howls and electronic lynching. "

Werekoala was drawing a historical parallel - marijuana was outlawed in part because of racist concerns that it made black men crazy and made them rape white women. It was the argument of a "less-evolved" African-American which kicked off this lengthy prohibition.

As in, it's as stupid for Nascar drivers to be suspended for sipping a Miller as it is for a basketball player to be suspended for lighting up.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 6 months ago

"I also licked on the ..." LMAO!
should read "clicked!" though licking on electrons can be exciting.

it is worth noting the story of drug abuse and two Rushes.
many on the left, including posters above, have vilified Rush Limbaugh for his [long resolved] addiction to prescription pain medication. these centurians of caring just use this as a rhetorical weapon against RushL and conservatives. wonder what they'd do if they had unending intractible pain too?

blindrabbit 4 years, 6 months ago

When I first read "Rush admits - - - -", Mr. Limbaugh came to mind. Although he has messed up many times, his ego would never allow him to admit such. Hopefully Brandon has more humility that the other "Rush".

Bob Harvey 4 years, 6 months ago

Simple...its illegal and against the NBA rules. If he wants to screw up his million dollar future it's his choice. It really doesn't matter one bit what the "honk for hemp" folks think or believe.

fancy80 4 years, 6 months ago

Brandon was and always will be one of my favorite Jayhawks. I just want to express my support for him and wish him well with all of his endeavors, both personally and professionally.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 6 months ago

---BR, you don't listen to RushL do you. you just take the usual hate website stuff such as from Daily kos.
he did publicly admit to his adiction, and got it treated too.

it did not spoil his work. he has 22-million listeners each week. doing pretty good.

I did listen when he lost his hearing and when he was adicted. the effects had dramatically changed his voice, mostly the loss of hearing.

but he stayed in and made things work.